Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Bright CR Flake

(3.45)
100% pure virginia leaf with no additional flavours made from a blend of Brazilian, Zimbabwe and Malawi bright Virginia leaf. The pressed tobacco as with all flakes, is left to mature before cutting into flakes, to allow for the best combination of flavours.

Details

Brand Gawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Blended By Gawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Manufactured By Gawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Blend Type Straight Virginia

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.45 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 41 - 50 of 75 Reviews
Jul 28, 2015 Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable
I really wished I would have bought more than an ounce of this one as I think I went through this one a little too quickly as I was starting to garner some love for it.

I got this in a GH ordering frenzy where I ordered 1 ounce samples of several of their blends. I had been curious about CRF for awhile, so it was one of the first ones thrown in my cart.

First off, it is GH so a certain amount of Lakeland essence (or soap for many) should be expected; I personally like this essence so It does not bother me. If the faintest whiff of this bugs you, then I will save you as this will have a light bit of that essence to it. All GH blends I have tried to date have this, they also have something else; a complete lack of any bite. I think GH makes the coolest smoking blends of any blender out there. And CRF is no exception.

The name bright flake, referencing the fact that it is all bright Virginias seems to convey a sense that this could be a bit of hot smoke, but not at all. It is well behaved as all the other GH blends I have tried. I do find the Virginias to be very mild in body and perhaps in flavor. The topping does tend to play tricks with the latter diagnosis. When I first started into my one ounce sample I was not that impressed with it, but my appreciation did grow as time went on.

There is no doubt that I will be purchasing more of this and will put up some to age as well.
Jul 11, 2015 Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant
I've just tried a bowlful of this as a sample. I left it to dry out for a while, but I think even longer would be better as I had to regularly swap my pipe out with a cleaner. Really nice taste, uncomplicated and earthy with virginia brightness. I'm a huge Gawith Hoggarth fan and this one does not disappoint. I think it would make a good summer smoke. Only negatives I would say is that it is not very complex, just a nice straight virginia

Update 2018

Just tried this again, with a little more pipe smoking experience. It is lovely, with heavy, chunky flakes. I just rubbed it out just a bit and stuffed it into the bowl. It smokes easily and slowly, with no bite, and is very inoffensive in a good way. I don't find the flavour bright, more muted and slightly tasting of cement and soil mixed with straw. This is a three stars, but a very solid tobacco. I like the satisfaction to that of smoking Solanki aged burley flake, although the taste is obviously different.
Pipe Used: corn cob
Jun 14, 2015 Mild Mild Medium Pleasant
Is this one of the Lakelands? I dare to say it is. For a non-aromatics, I find this tobacco rather soapy, but not in a bad way. It will dissipate as you progress in your smoke though. There is this floral aroma in it which is quite apparent from the outset as you light up your pipe. I find the virginia tobacco, on the other hand, somewhat spicy and full flavour. Some reviewers seem to be saying that this flake is rather mild, but this is probably due to the Lakeland additives and not so more because of the tobacco itself. I did not find it strong enough in the nicotine department though, but it seems to be quite fulfilling anyway. The appearance of the flakes are simply gorgeous with gold bird eyes scattered all along, but they will benefit from some drying time. As they are very easy to crumble, this tobacco is better smoked as broken flake, so my advise is "don't rub it all out." Not a bad smoke, this isn't, but I'd rather expend my money somewhere else

PS. 15/10/19 I cannot remember the reason why I did this review, but over time I have become so used to smoking this tobacco, that I cannot corroborate what I said the first time around. To start with, there no Lakeland topping here at all. As for the flavour, it is far from being full. Then, in terms of nicotine, or strength if you like, it is rather mild. This tobacco has a very distinctive citrysy note that will evolve into this sort of creaminess the more you progress with your smoke. The only thing I would stand by is the spicy undertones and the fact these flakes look gorgeous. .
Pipe Used: Parker
Oct 19, 2014 Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong
Well after trying a handful of different Gawith, Hoggarth Flake, it seems as though Bright CR Flake may be the best offering. It does have the "lakeland" essence but to a much lower degree than the others I have tried which are simply a little tobacco with a lot of nasty flavoring. I like this offering because beneath the lakeland flavor I can actually taste tobacco. The shag offerings made by Gawith Hoggarth are by far my favorite and do not taste soapy or floral and its a damn shame that they don't make a flake like they do a shag. With this shipment of Bright CR Flake, I also ordered Ennerdale Flake and upon smelling it realized that it smelled like an old woman that had put on a bottle of perfume. I think I will buy a cob and might be able to smoke a whole bowl. I really do not understand why so many people in the UK and elsewhere like all of these casings that Gawith, Hoggarth puts in their flake tobacco. If I have to smoke one at this point it would be Bright CR Flake, while possessing less of the soapy flavor, I still prefer the flavor of a good dark fired flake. If you just have to try a Gawith, Hoggarth flake I strongly suggest this one over the others. If you can't stand the casings of this tobacco, chances are you will hate the other flakes made by this company. The Tobac lakes the nicotine of the Dark Flake, but also lacks as much topping as the Dark Flake and others. Someone please tell them to make a flake with Dark Birds Eye, or Kendal Kentucky, or Kendal Dark shags that taste like tobacco instead of getting the taste that you licked an old lady's neck that was covered in horrible soapy perfume.
Pipe Used: Brian, Cob
PurchasedFrom: Smoking pipes
Age When Smoked: Fresh from the soap factory
Oct 23, 2013 Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
I've had a few bowls of this fine flake before putting it in a jar for ageing, and was surprised how they've brought up that fine lakeland note with so little casing. When it came, it was somewhat too wet and required a good amount of drying before packing. Still doesn't burn perfectly, but it's ok. Surely it's one of the most quality VA flakes out there. I like that nice fresh lakeland aroma that stays present through first half of the bowl. After that it gets a bit blunt, but still delicious. In a nutshell, it's awesome. Puff it easy, it tends to bite if not cautious.
ven
Jul 26, 2013 Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
I wanted a good, basic flake Virginia, for mixing and smoking straight, so I tried this Bright CR Flake. Perfect for what I needed. The Virginia tobaccos are the stars, here. Nothing else interferes with the flavors. Straightforward and high caliber quality tobaccos. Love it straight, but personally I really loved mixing with it. I needed a major Virginia in my mix, and this was exemplary. Tastes distinguished, and delicious. Very, very glad I followed the advice of some of the good reviews here, because this is very satisfying Virginia tobacco. Rather a treasure, this.
Oct 21, 2012 Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant
There are almost two reviews warranted here. The tobacco itself and the topping.

The topping is very interesting and makes a wonderful smoke wonderfully unique. 4 of 4 stars.

The tobacco itself is about the best I've ever sampled. Mild yet, very very sweet Virginia without a trace of bite. I would love to be able to sample this without any Lakeland scent at all. For the tobacco 10/5 stars!
Apr 23, 2012 Mild Extremely Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant
One of my favorite VA. Amazing, pleasant baccy, with beautiful mild smoke. It leaves a nice fragrance around the pipesmoker, so it is absolutely 'passive friendly'. One of the finest natural taste va blend. 4 stars.
Mar 22, 2012 Mild Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant
Lovely mottled brown flakes in perfect form, they breakdown easily but don't lend themselves to rolling or folding very well in my experience. A very light tobacco that tastes like sweet hay to me at least, with some age it deepens a bit, picking up a hint of black pepper to stand along the sweetness. No real casing or flavor that I can pick up, not even a lakeland aroma, but some say there's something extra there, but I've yet to see it. Might not be for everyone due to the almost extreme mildness, but for me I could smoke this all day. This tobacco comes highly recommended from me, try it in a conical bowl for best results!
May 16, 2011 Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
This is a good all day tobacco, it's mild, slightly sweet, burns relatively cool with no bite or nicotine kick. This tobacco is in the same genera as Samuel Gawith Medium Virginia Flake with a little more flavor.

target="_blank"