Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Bright CR Flake

(3.45)
100% pure virginia leaf with no additional flavours made from a blend of Brazilian, Zimbabwe and Malawi bright Virginia leaf. The pressed tobacco as with all flakes, is left to mature before cutting into flakes, to allow for the best combination of flavours.

Details

Brand Gawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Blended By Gawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Manufactured By Gawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Blend Type Straight Virginia

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.45 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 21 - 30 of 44 Reviews
Jul 27, 2020 Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
This is a very nice straight Virginia from the house of Gawith Hoggarth, and I recommend it to any fans of the style. I'd agree that it's a less well known baccy, pushed aside by Full Virginia Flake (stronger and fruitier) and Best Brown Flake (actually quite similar but as I remember, breadier and a little stronger). This tobacco has no flavouring or aroma added at all, unlike many other "natural" Virginias I could name which all contain a smidgen of something. If your Bright CR Flake has a lake district perfume to it, you've either made the mistake of having it shipped in the same package as scented tobacco, or your tobacconist has made a error in its storage.

The tobacco arrives as a bundle of flakes, of a lighter shade of tan brown. The aroma in the packet is of ripe hay and horse food. Lovely! The flakes are nice and thin, and rub out easily. They accept the flame just as readily, and the enjoyment begins. Smoke this low and slow. Little sips, "breath smoking" if you will. The flavour is naturally sweet, hay and bread, delicious. It doesn't seem prone to bite, but I think if pushed the subtleties of the flavour will be lost. It stays cool and delicate if smoked slowly, but can warm up if pushed in the heat. It's a type of tobacco that I lean towards on the hotter days of summer, but it's better smoked in the shade, and outstanding on a cooler evening. It doesn't have a big nicotine hit, and it's better in a larger bowl, but lightly packed.

Overall, top marks, this is another fine natural Virginia on a par with the Best Brown and Full Virginia flakes, and worth having as well as them as its the lightest of all. I'll be buying more to squirrel away for ageing.

Pipe Used: Rattrays Harpoon, Lorenzo lumberman
PurchasedFrom: Mysmokingshop
Apr 20, 2018 Extremely Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
The flakes are neat, not very thick, pliable and a very nice aroma of dried hay, decaying grass and damp earth with a whiff of something like milk chocolate also a hint of sweet floral aroma.

Bright CR Flake seems to be as straight a Virginia as it gets and yet I do get the feeling that it comes from the Gawith factory. It is of a solid medium strength with no rough edges with a soft creamy mouthfeel. It is very flavorful with yeasty aromas dominating but it is also grassy with floral notes as well which seem to be from the tobacco itself mostly. Bright CR Flake is one of the easiest tobaccos to handle and smoke that I’ve ever encountered. This is an unreserved four star Virginia flake!
Jun 14, 2015 Mild Mild Medium Pleasant
Is this one of the Lakelands? I dare to say it is. For a non-aromatics, I find this tobacco rather soapy, but not in a bad way. It will dissipate as you progress in your smoke though. There is this floral aroma in it which is quite apparent from the outset as you light up your pipe. I find the virginia tobacco, on the other hand, somewhat spicy and full flavour. Some reviewers seem to be saying that this flake is rather mild, but this is probably due to the Lakeland additives and not so more because of the tobacco itself. I did not find it strong enough in the nicotine department though, but it seems to be quite fulfilling anyway. The appearance of the flakes are simply gorgeous with gold bird eyes scattered all along, but they will benefit from some drying time. As they are very easy to crumble, this tobacco is better smoked as broken flake, so my advise is "don't rub it all out." Not a bad smoke, this isn't, but I'd rather expend my money somewhere else

PS. 15/10/19 I cannot remember the reason why I did this review, but over time I have become so used to smoking this tobacco, that I cannot corroborate what I said the first time around. To start with, there no Lakeland topping here at all. As for the flavour, it is far from being full. Then, in terms of nicotine, or strength if you like, it is rather mild. This tobacco has a very distinctive citrysy note that will evolve into this sort of creaminess the more you progress with your smoke. The only thing I would stand by is the spicy undertones and the fact these flakes look gorgeous. .
Pipe Used: Parker
Oct 23, 2013 Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
I've had a few bowls of this fine flake before putting it in a jar for ageing, and was surprised how they've brought up that fine lakeland note with so little casing. When it came, it was somewhat too wet and required a good amount of drying before packing. Still doesn't burn perfectly, but it's ok. Surely it's one of the most quality VA flakes out there. I like that nice fresh lakeland aroma that stays present through first half of the bowl. After that it gets a bit blunt, but still delicious. In a nutshell, it's awesome. Puff it easy, it tends to bite if not cautious.
ven
Jul 26, 2013 Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
I wanted a good, basic flake Virginia, for mixing and smoking straight, so I tried this Bright CR Flake. Perfect for what I needed. The Virginia tobaccos are the stars, here. Nothing else interferes with the flavors. Straightforward and high caliber quality tobaccos. Love it straight, but personally I really loved mixing with it. I needed a major Virginia in my mix, and this was exemplary. Tastes distinguished, and delicious. Very, very glad I followed the advice of some of the good reviews here, because this is very satisfying Virginia tobacco. Rather a treasure, this.
Oct 21, 2012 Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant
There are almost two reviews warranted here. The tobacco itself and the topping.

The topping is very interesting and makes a wonderful smoke wonderfully unique. 4 of 4 stars.

The tobacco itself is about the best I've ever sampled. Mild yet, very very sweet Virginia without a trace of bite. I would love to be able to sample this without any Lakeland scent at all. For the tobacco 10/5 stars!
Apr 23, 2012 Mild Extremely Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant
One of my favorite VA. Amazing, pleasant baccy, with beautiful mild smoke. It leaves a nice fragrance around the pipesmoker, so it is absolutely 'passive friendly'. One of the finest natural taste va blend. 4 stars.
Mar 22, 2012 Mild Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant
Lovely mottled brown flakes in perfect form, they breakdown easily but don't lend themselves to rolling or folding very well in my experience. A very light tobacco that tastes like sweet hay to me at least, with some age it deepens a bit, picking up a hint of black pepper to stand along the sweetness. No real casing or flavor that I can pick up, not even a lakeland aroma, but some say there's something extra there, but I've yet to see it. Might not be for everyone due to the almost extreme mildness, but for me I could smoke this all day. This tobacco comes highly recommended from me, try it in a conical bowl for best results!
May 16, 2011 Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
This is a good all day tobacco, it's mild, slightly sweet, burns relatively cool with no bite or nicotine kick. This tobacco is in the same genera as Samuel Gawith Medium Virginia Flake with a little more flavor.
Oct 22, 2010 Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant
An excellent tobacco. Highly Recommended. ***** 5 star.

target="_blank"