Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Bob's Chocolate Flake

(3.00)
The main characteristics of this flake come from the 8% latakia included in the blend and the smooth chocolate aroma. Brazilian, Zimbabwe, Malawi Virginia leaf make up 82% of the blend providing a mild/medium smoke cooled with the addition of 8% Malawi sun cured and 2% Malawi burley. The latakia cools but does also add strength and aroma. The cocoa casings and chocolate top flavors are rounded off with vanillas and other flavors providing sweet notes.
Notes: Due to EU regulations, this was renamed and sold in those countries as "Bob's Flake".

Details

Brand Gawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Blended By Gawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Manufactured By Gawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Blend Type Aromatic

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.00 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 21 - 25 of 25 Reviews
Mar 28, 2007 Very Mild Medium Overwhelming Tolerable
I feel like there's should be bubbles coming out of my pipe. I bought 8 oz. of this flake on the recommendation of a new toabcconist. Thank God it's cheap! No offense to those that enjoy this, but I get a wierd soapy/floral taste and aroma from this stuff. Do you remember what Play-doh smells like. It's kind of like that for me. Nothing against play-doh but i can't stand this. I mixed it with a bunch of another amromatic I had stashed and it ruined it too. Obviously this gets a lot of good reviews, so YMMV but don't say I didn't warn you. Good luck.
Dec 14, 2006 Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
Napa Wine Lover's review reflects my assessment completely. I would only add that for me, Bob's Chocolate flake burns hot and bites the tongue.

If you're looking for a really fine tobacco with a chocolate flavor, take a look at Samuel Gawith's Kendal Mayor's Chocolate Flake.
Sep 16, 2006 Medium Strong Medium Very Pleasant
Very enjoyable and reliable smoke. I am going to completely agree with the 2 Aug 05 review by smoker390 including the comments on its fine aroma.

Traditionally, I have stayed away from the full range of "aromatics" after toasting my tongue as a young man on every corner store brand before discovering the world beyond. Now, while being a tobacco snob by avocation, I've probably denied myself enjoying some great blends because of suggestion that they were nice smellng and my personal enjoyment needed to be invertly proportional to their enjoyment. I have reformed slightly in my older age.

Well this is another one added to my collection of absolutely favorites. It tastes wonderful, it smokes very well and it is a regular in my rotation. I have only purchased this from bulk more aged stock. I'm eager to find if the tin variety requires a different approach, or if additional aging is an issue from the less favorable comments I have read. As far as the soapy taste described ... I'm wondering if it's what I believe is a vegetal / herbal / floral taste. It's amazing how individual tastes are and quite interesting to read contrasting opinions respectfully. Perhaps I like the taste so much since it reminds me of the penalties of my verbal indiscretions as a youth.

Orignal review 9/24/05

UPDATE: 9/16/06

Sadly I must downgrade my review of this tobacco. Since my earlier review, I've found this to be inconsistent in quality and ever so much more flavored than I had come to enjoy. I'm sorry to say that I have no plans to revisit this blend in the near future. I'm not typically an aromatic smoker - although I like to venture every now and then around the flavored tobaccos as not to be too much of a snob. This just doesn't do it any more at all. I believe it to be a combination of a reduction in quality by the maker and changes in my palate.

Cheers, VC
Sep 02, 2004 Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant
I liked this better than Rum Flake, but easily forgettable.
Sep 19, 2022 Mild Medium to Strong Mild Tolerable
I had huge expectations towards this blend that as You might or not expect were not satisfied. Very artificial and overwhelming Vanilla and chocolate flavour that does not stick to my guts. EDIT: I got my hands on the version before GH and SG merging together. It had 6 years give or take on it. What a quality smoke it was! Pleasant typical GH floral aroma, slight Cocoa topping and not so dominant Latakia. Fabulousv, highly enjoyable smoke, a little too light for my preferences. Radically different tobacco than the present version.

target="_blank"