Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Bob's Chocolate Flake

(3.00)
The main characteristics of this flake come from the 8% latakia included in the blend and the smooth chocolate aroma. Brazilian, Zimbabwe, Malawi Virginia leaf make up 82% of the blend providing a mild/medium smoke cooled with the addition of 8% Malawi sun cured and 2% Malawi burley. The latakia cools but does also add strength and aroma. The cocoa casings and chocolate top flavors are rounded off with vanillas and other flavors providing sweet notes.
Notes: Due to EU regulations, this was renamed and sold in those countries as "Bob's Flake".

Details

Brand Gawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Blended By Gawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Manufactured By Gawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Blend Type Aromatic

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.00 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 11 - 20 of 25 Reviews
Sep 26, 2004 Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
September 2004

An obviously high quality tobacco in terms of manufacture, but too aromatic, too soapy and too flavored for me. Plus, I couldn't detect the Latakia.
Sep 20, 2021 Very Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable
These reviews are more so for my reference in my venture into pipe smoking. I bought this with the intention of adding it to a couple of blends. On it's own it was nothing special. I couldn't taste the earthy chocolate that i expected. Added to anything else it just disappeared. Not for me.
Pipe Used: Briar
PurchasedFrom: TobaccoBlends
ATW
Dec 09, 2015 Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
It's funny how for a couple of months a blend can be so good and then...... It just makes you want to throw up!

I loved this stuff at first. A slightly salty cocoa powder taste and slightly sweet. The only tobacco I could pick up was the Virginia.

One day I loaded a bowl and got about half way through and it started to die out some so I choked the pipe a little and then something happened that I wouldn't have ever expected...... I tasted strong toasted Latakia with the chocolate flavoring and it was extremely strong. I was so sickened by it that I really thought I was going to throw up. It tasted so horrible that I stopped smoking a pipe for around 9 months.

Others might enjoy it just fine but I'm done with this stuff.
Jul 20, 2013 Mild to Medium Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable
I like the offering from SG better, taste-wise, though I couldn't get those flakes to smoke well either. This flake had more of an artificial flavoring to it and the latakia seemed to get lost. As stated this flake was hard for me to keep lit and if you can't smoke it, it aint gonna do too well. So....
Apr 23, 2013 Medium to Strong Strong Medium to Full Tolerable
I just cant get over the soapy, flowery baby powder smell, its too much for me to take! i cant enjoy anything with this scent it destroys all that is obviously good about this quality tobacco, i want to like this blend too! why is this stink is so many blends, to me its just not natural.
Jan 20, 2012 Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant
Soapy Play-Doh and other things.

Granted British aromatics for the most part are very different than their American Cavendish based cousins.

It seems Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. use the Tonka bean or an extract in many of their offerings and this blend has a lot.

This simply does not leave me wanting for more, in poor form I might add. Drying this does help a some but not nearly enough. I cannot taste dark Chocolate nor Cocoa. Maybe a very slight too slight in fact an occasional hint of vanilla, which likely is coming from the Tonka bean.

Bland, and frankly boring. After this batch is done, I won't be trying anymore for a very long time.

It does pack and burn great, by the pleasure is sadly lacking for me.
Sep 17, 2009 Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable to Strong
This is supposed to be an aromatic but to me, the latakia throws it off. It's like putting BBQ sauce on, well a chocalate cake. Even a touch ruins the experience, and to me the experience wasn't that pleasant at all and I gave it a couple of tries. I ended up giving the rest away. Others may like it, but I like aromatics as much as I like english/balkan/oriental blends and I feel that an aromatic should be without latakia, even if it's a pinch.
Oct 29, 2008 Medium Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable
Ok...this stuff was three dollars more than its cousin Chocolate Flake (Samuel Gawith) and not nearly as good. The tin aroma was pleasant, smelling of sweet vanilla and faintly of cocoa...no latakia seemed to be present. This blend tasted soapy and slightly floral, but in a bad way. The aroma was rough and assaultive...Yuck! I only got halfway down the bowl and had to dump it out...I was also worried it might taint my pipe. I was thinking of whom I might give this to, but didn't want to lose a friend...it went the way dead goldfish go.
Jul 20, 2007 Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant
Bland and distinctly underwhelming.

When I first tried this blend I found it rather intriguing: It was slightly sweet, with cocoa trying to fight its way to the front against a swirl of earthy aromas. Sadly after about eight bowls, it becomes flat and incredibly bland. It has the chocolate cereal base that can be found in 1792 -and many- others but without anything above this foundation.

I'm a big fan of soapy florals but this tobacco is truly awful. If you want a chocolate Va, then go for Louisiana flake and give this one a miss.
Jul 14, 2007 Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
A very delectable tobacco. Rubbed out, or left whole, it lights quite easily. The taste is full, and you'll taste each different kind of leaf used. * Update I have noticed this blend iratates my throat, causing me to cough. I'll take my rating down a notch. After a week or so I can give my full thought on this tobacco-Quite uneventful. Blah even. I think most tend to laud this tobacco because they want to provided the leaf used. Everyone will taste this a little different. I don't like it.

target="_blank"