English with latakia.

Strength
Taste

Rob73 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rob73 (77)

I can't resist certain swiss tobaccos! I have a whack for them! This Latakia mixture is highly balanced, enriched by an uncommon quality of its components. I must also point out the value of this product in relation to its price. 4,5/5 in my personal rating system.

Purchased From: Al Negresco, Ponte Tresa (Switzerland)

CoolPilot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoolPilot (69)
Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Another wonderful blend by Wellauer. Creamy, fresh smoke, latakia top quality, but not too much. Reminds me a NightCap with no perique, and with a lower strength. I would say it is an all-day smoke.
Room note is very pleasant too.
I smoke almost all kind of english and balkans, and while most of them are quite similar I can say: this Latakia Mixture by Wellauer is really special. Must be the latakia they use, which is absolutely good. I have always a couple of tins of this in my cellar.

Pipe Used: savinelli champagne

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Although the country they operated out of (Switzerland), was known for flavored tobaccos, this brilliant old blending house went against the grain by producing some of the finest English style blends ever produced. And believe it or not Wellauer & Company also was known for its brand of chocolates and other confections. The only way I could get their tobaccos back in the 1980s and early '90s was to swap tobacco with an old Pipe Smokers Ephemeris member who had me send him tobacco he couldn't get there.

If you see Latakia Mixture commanding high prices on eBay and elsewhere, it is because the old timers know this one was loaded to the rafters with some of the finest Syrian Latakia ever to hit the market. Soft, yet bold and smoky that complimented the Virginia leaf (pretty special itself), perfectly. It has been many years since I smoked any Wellauer's Latakia Mixture but to this day I still crave another.

pipeclubsi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipeclubsi (14)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Pleasant

A winner mixture for many I'd say. Opening the tobacco tin brings out a very fresh light peppery latakia and flowery smell, almost carnation like. I packed it a bit too firmly and spent a few matches to really get it going. The smoke presents a rich peppery latakia with full bodied oriental and fine virginia sweetness to round up an unbelievable aroma. I like the fact that latakia doesn't take over too much but makes a right level of presence.

This is a very pleasant smoke and a different kind of specialty among latakia mixtures.

Any downsides? I'm not sure if it will appeal to all the latakia lovers because of it's extraordinary spiciness and it's fairly strong, too. It's worth trying for sure. This is a wild Balkan boy wearing a fine suit.

Pipe Used: Bartoli Elegante

Purchased From: Dreier Pipe Shop, Graz/Gradec Austria

bayro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bayro (30)
Medium Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

This is supposed to be the only tobacco that still uses the Syrian Latakia for its blends. All other manufacturers were forced to switch to Cypriot Latakia, some others stopped with production, because manufacturers did not want to change the tobacco in the mixtures, but the Swiss still have! (the Blessed Switzerland, and Blessed Weird Ways of International Trade!)

There is nothing in this mix at first glance anything so miraculous and attractive, yet it is one of the best tobacco I've smoked.

Of course, in the first place, the fact is that the manufacturer uses a real Svrian Latakia, which is lighter, softer and more aromatic than Cypriot Latakia, second, in the proportion of tobacco blended by the blender and got this superb blend. So, when it's opened, tobacco is ready for smoke; it can be smoked right away without "decanting". And so it will "decant" when opening the can of filling.

So, as I wrote, there is nothing so attractive in that tobacco, rather than simply choosing and mixing top quality and picked tobacco!

They smoke without problem, at the end of time sometimes you can find a bit of a "sludge", but it is neglected, rich in dense, rich flavor of all components, but the "velvety" flavor of Syrian Latakia is a "character".

It is an ideal morning tobacco because it is not nicotine strong, but of course it can be a "full-day" tobacco. Highly recommended!

Pipe Used: Savinelli Autograph, Amboselli tanzanian meer, DMP

Purchased From: Dreier, Shopping center West, Graz, Austria

BruineBear Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BruineBear (4)

I live 10 miles from Swiss border; I regularly have my weekly trip over the border to purchase tobacco, as in the Confederation they have much wider availability at considerably cheaper prices than in my homeland. I've being buying English mixtures of any sort and origin, but it took years to overcome my prejudices and try this one. A Latakia Mixture from Switzerland?!? Can't be! Well, it can. This is by far the smoothest , elegant and most balanced Lat Mix I 've tasted. Cellar is now well stocked of it. Recommended.

Pipe Used: Gilli bent billiard, Les Wood rhodesian