Sutliff Tobacco Company Old Professor #526

(2.87)
A complex English blend is in tribute to old professors everywhere, for they made us aware of our hidden talents and inspired many of us to achieve success.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

2.87 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 1 - 9 of 9 Reviews
Jul 04, 2016 Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant
Sutliff Tobacco Company - Old Professor.

Like the Lane blend I reviewed the other day, this is the first time I've smoked anything from this company. So here's my thoughts:

Although it's badged as being a Coarse Cut, the blend contains a myriad of sizes: a few tiny dots, all the way up to some bigger twiggy bits. The smell is exactly as would be expected from this type of blend: leathery and woody. As expected for a tobacco supplied in bulk form the moisture's spot-on.

I like the way the tobacco's work together, somewhat different to the usual English style. The first thing that differs for me is the way the Latakia comes over. It's not one of those really mild kinds, and nor does it take over; instead it 'dances' on top of the smokes taste: the formidable flavour's present, but it's more of a finishing touch. So, we have a kind of 'unique' style of Latakia, and then there's the Oriental/Turkish, this gives a large proportion of flavour to the smoke; the Latakia's on top, but the O/T, without a doubt, forms the base of the smoke. Regarding the Virginia, to tell the truth I find it very very light. With tobacco flavours as inimitable as the others it seems a little bit pointless sticking that in there!

I'd put the nicotine as being medium, and the room-note's fairly pleasant.

This is a good smoke, the only reason I give it three stars and not four is I prefer a little more from my Latakia's. Still, it easily gets a recommendation!

Three stars.
Pipe Used: Somali Meerschaum
PurchasedFrom: Smoking Pipes. com
Aug 31, 2015 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong
526 Old Professor is sold by a local B&M as simply Professor. It is to my mind more Balkan than English, but is a decent smoke. The Latakia is front and center though the Orientals make themselves known, so the pouch note is typical Lat sourness, like old athletic socks. Don't get much of the Virginia. It's a pretty good smoke, though. At the right price, it is worth a toot, but at Balkan Sasieni prices, get the BS instead.

I'm giving it three stars, although it is more like a 2.5-star blend, but feel that another 2-star review will unfairly pull down its overall rating.
Oct 23, 2020 Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable
I have smoked many many English blends from high end to low in my 67 years. Many of them come off as the same run of the mill virginia, latakia , turkish. I found Old Professor not to fall into this category at all. I don't know what they do to this blend but to me it stands out as unique. It burns great and the flavors to me are mouth watering. And it comes at a great price point. Well worth a try especially when Smoking Pipes runs their frequent 20% off deal! Well done Sutliff!
Pipe Used: 70's Stanwell
PurchasedFrom: smoking pipes
Sep 13, 2020 Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
This is a decent, lat-forward English. I bought this just wanting to try some different blends and I’ve liked it, and thought about getting more, but I’ve yet to finish the 4oz I originally purchased. It’s...inoffensive and middle of the road, but good, just good.
May 21, 2019 Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
Another stop in my quest for McClelland replacement tobaccos. This one will stay in my rotation. After drying out 2 ounces, upon lighting, I get pleasant, slightly sweet Virginia at the top, then settling into a blend of smoky Latakia and slightly lemony orientals. The balance is fine and this taste is sustained. I've had several tobaccos within the past year that smoke fine and pleasurably but in the end leave a relatively thick, foul mouth coating - Gawith's Skiff comes quickly to mind. None of this with Old Prof. Despite the moisture in the pouch, after a little time airing out, it smokes dry and without bite, alll the way down. Average number of relights. As others have noted, sip, don't pull long and hard. Bonus points: the price is a bargain and thus so is Old Prof, an agreeably complex smoke that I've been enjoying in the evening but will try in the a.m. Room note? Can't tell. I'm outside and I have no independent nose to consult.
Pipe Used: La Rocca Poker saddle bit
PurchasedFrom: SmokingPipes
Age When Smoked: Weeks old
May 16, 2013 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable
Actually, this is a good blend for aromatic smokers who wish to venture into the realm of English blends...The Latakia and Orientals interact in such a way that neither is dominant...They are complementary and the Virginia adds a sweetness which would be familiar and comfortable to an aromatic smoker...As with most Virginias this will bite if you hurry it...Relax...Take your time...Pipe smoking is not about running a race...No prize for finishing first...Now about the moisture factor...I find that most Altadis blends are too moist right off the bat...needs a long drying time...To cut drying time, I would suggest purchasing a small crock pot with a warm setting...Please, do not use your wife's...otherwise dire consequences will ensue...Set crock pot to warm and dump tobacco in and cover...Check in about an hour...This would be for 2-4oz of tobacco....Adjust for less or greater amounts...Otherwise if you air dry it's going to take all day.
Jun 01, 2020 Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable
I'm always trying new blends and this one's a good one. It's a very tasty blend. Latakia is very much forward in this blend. Which I happen to enjoy. I'm smoking it right of the bag and it's cool smoking with great flavor.i would definitely recommend this blend it's got a really good bang for the buck.
Pipe Used: BBB Best Make
PurchasedFrom: Smoking pipes
Dec 04, 2019 Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong
Here’s a hearty English blend that is neither sweet nor too potent of a Latakia bomb. There is Latakia, Virginia and Turkish all playing along with none standing out trying to take over. The Latakia is quite musty and smoky. This blend is first class all the way. This may just be unpressed Bengal Slices, (re-release).
Pipe Used: Ashton Canadian
Aug 25, 2023 Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable
I purchased the 16 OZ and stored it for a year after vacuuming. The humidity of this tobacco is so high that it takes some time to dry before it can be put into the bowl. At the same time, when you rub it, your hands will be dirty. After the ignition, there is a more obvious chocolate flavor, as well as the smoke and milk flavor brought by Latakia. The burning is relatively full, and the ashes in the bowl are relatively white. The taste of this tobacco is very similar to Beck's Ol 'Limey Bastard.
Pipe Used: Peterson 303