We've added these blends from our friends at Sutliff who have taken the time to blend matching tobaccos for some of your all time favorites that have been previously discontinued. Definitely worth a look!

Notes: Formerly known as Match Dunhill Early Morning Pipe.

Blended ByCarl McCallister
Strength
Taste

3.1

The musty, earthy, woody, sweet Cyprian Latakia is the lead component. The lemon Va. offers tart and tangy citrus, grass, a little sugar and a floral note as a secondary player. The pressed Va. is tangy dark fruit sweet with some wood, bread and earth as it plays just above the level of the lemon Va. The dry, woody, earthy, herbal, vegetative, floral, buttery sweet Turkish is a condiment. There is an extremely light topping of some kind that mellows the blend, which is aided by a little sugary black cavendish in the background. Burns cool and clean a moderate pace with a very rich, consistent sweet and savory campfire flavor. The strength and taste levels are a hair shy of medium. The nic-hit is mild. Won't bite or get harsh, but does sport a few small rough edges. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights. Has a lightly lingering pleasant after taste, and room note. It is an all day smoke. The Match lacks the red Virginia that the original has, and is just slightly sweeter and less grassy. The substitution of lemon for red Va. means the sweet notes are not the same, but it’s still a pleasing mixture. I gave the original (Early Morning Pipe) two and a half stars.

-JimInks

Emeritus Account Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Emeritus Account (29765)

This an awesome tobacco. Dont let the name fool you. This is a wonderful all day smoke. I am a latakia lover and never really liked virginias until I tried this stuff.

I dont know which is my favorite, this one or the Altadis Elizabethan match. They are both four star in my book. Buy some of this as you will not be disappointed.

LannarkGent Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LannarkGent (145)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

I found this to be a rich rewarding blend that can be smoked at any time. I have 1 pound of bulk and 3 tins aging in my cellar.

Haroldt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Haroldt (26)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

If you've ever had and enjoyed Dunhill's Earthly Morning Pipe, you'll like this one, plus the price is easy on the wallet. This blend is always in my rotation and is my "go to smoke." I start most mornings with this and a cup of coffee.

Very dependable, mild and nice smell. My wife likes the smell a lot.

Pipe Used: ALL - any pipe I have

Purchased From: Cigar and Pipe, SMokin' Pipe

Similar Blends: Dunhill EMP.

Birdsbeaks Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Birdsbeaks (1)

Hoping for a replacement for my beloved Dunhill EMP prior to Peterson beginning to blend it, I went in search of a suitable replacement and found Sutliff's EMP Match. Let's just say it's a gift to all pipe smokers that Peterson took up the EMP mantle because Sutliff's "Match", to me, is anything but. The tobacco arrived feeling wet and greasy and presented with an overly sweet and unremarkable aroma. A far cry from the intriguing interplay of aromas found in the genuine article. Heavily cased, I attempted to get this tobacco into smokable form by allowing it to dry... for a few hours... but alas, the greasy wetness persisted. Upon lighting, the tongue bite was severe regardless of how gently I inhaled and the flavor was again both bland and overly sweet at once. I found this blend difficult to keep lit regardless of whether I packed tight, loose, or somewhere in between and with the harshness on the back of my palate, the severe bite on the tongue, and pedestrian flavor -- I found myself wondering why I kept trying at all. Although decidedly of different make up, the blend this most reminded me of was a bag of Blender's Gold Toasted Cavendish (another Sutliff product, I believe) I picked up from Walgreens six or seven years ago and that to this day still feels greasy. Wet, greasy, artificially sweet, and impressively boring are the words I'd use to describe both of these tobaccos. Happy ending? Indeed. As I write this, there is a box containing four tins of Peterson's EMP on my dining room table hopefully waiting to take the place of Dunhill's masterful creation. Sutliff's EMP Match? For me, two thumbs down.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman, Bones Bent Poker

Similar Blends: Blender's Gold Toasted Cavendish.

HabaneroHardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HabaneroHardy (274)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

A few months ago, I bought the big four match Dunhill’s. EMP, Elizabethan, 965, and Nightcap. I have reviewed 965 and Nightcap and now on to this one. This has a noticeable sweet tin note (jar) and is a course cut tobacco. It smokes sweet and pleasant and I enjoyed it throughout most of the day. A nice all-day smoke if you will. I then decided to bring out my coveted Dunhill EMP which I probably have maybe 8 ounces left and tried a bowl. The Match is definitely way sweeter and maybe it is my imagination but I think the Dunhill EMP actually produced more clouds of smoke while I was puffing. This one while good is to me so far, the least similar of the three that I have tried. So, if you are looking for an EMP replacement this probably will not be it but nonetheless it is a nice pleasant smoke. P.S. I can’t believe I am only the 5th person to review this one. Of course, if you have the real thing why settle for second best.

Pipe Used: 1947 59/1 Dunhill

PiperRic Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PiperRic (3)

I joined this great hobby late 2019, post Dunhill EMP. Then I tried grabbing some Peterson EMP but was out-of-stock at the time I placed my order. Later I found this blend. I truly enjoy smoking Match Sunrise. I consider it every day blend. As I am writing I am still a rookie piper and cannot distinguish a tobacco from another. But I can sure tell you that I like this blend. At first I order a pound and finished, then reordered 2 lb.

Pipe Used: Dunhill Shell

Age When Smoked: 46

Sheldon Richman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sheldon Richman (14)

This is Sutliff's match for Dunhill/Peterson Early Morning Pipe, an Oriental blend. It's been a few years since I've had EMP, so a comparison is difficult. I'll simply say it is tasty and familiar. I like it quite a bit and can myself reordering it. I'm not really able to judge the room note.

Pipe Used: Corn cobs

Purchased From: Tobacco Pipes

Similar Blends: Peterson Early Morning Pipe.