G. L. Pease Sextant

(3.31)
Sextant is a classic mixture harmoniously married to a Navy flake. Ripe Virginia tobaccos are first blended with Cyprian latakia, fine Orientals, and a touch of dark fired Kentucky leaf, then infused with a hint of dark rum before being gently pressed, matured and sliced. The flavor is rich, bold and satisfying, the aroma an enchanting interweaving of traditions.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.31 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 1 - 5 of 5 Reviews
Feb 12, 2015 Medium Medium to Strong Medium Strong
I recently added a tin of Sextant to a tobacco order. My notes here follow after having 7 bowls of it over a 2-week period.

The tin note is arresting: slightly sour, with wafts of alcohol, virginia, and smoke. Arresting. The contents were in broken flake form, run through with brown and black leaf. Moisture level seemed on from the start, but I let the open tin breathe for about 24 hours before tasting.

I found the flavours at first light to be odd: astringent and raw at the back of the throat, with very little latakia coming through. After a few minutes, things settle down, and then what I am tasting is a very ordinary english blend, rough around the edges, served up with an alcoholic digestive. This continues on to an unremarkable finish (although relights are memorable). The smell of burnt rum lingers in a pipe long after it has been extinguished.

I'm not seeing (or tasting) artistry here. The blend behaves as if it is green; it is rough and underprepared. Perhaps the use of the dark-fired Kentucky plays a hand, but this stuff also has a marked throat-drying effect on me, and not a pleasant one. Lots of bass notes but little treble, minus the clarinet-like trill of the rum.

I can't recommend this in its current form - simply too immature. It smells remarkably good, and it looks like a quality product, but one-dimensional flavour and lack of integration make it too troublesome to enjoy.

Maybe cellaring will work wonders. The rest of my tin went into a jar.

May 07, 2012 Overwhelming Medium to Strong Very Full Strong
Well this is an odd bird. First I immediately wondered why this blend was part of the "Old London Series" since according to Gregory Pease's site, blends for the series rely only

"on the natural flavours and aromas of pure tobaccos, without any added casings, sauces or top dressing"

What?

Well this is clearly not the case as Rum flavour is added to Sextant, as stated in the tin! This is odd. Well, Greg has now changed the definition of the "old london series" on his site, so the problem has been discretely "fixed". Sort of. The era of the internet permits that kind of subtle rewriting which goes pretty much unnoticed and certainly was not explained or announced. Perhaps this review will solely document this "change". Perhaps the series should be called the "Postmodern London series" -- it would be a more accurate name for it, but who would get that?

Speaking of history (or the lack thereof), this blend is supposed to be somewhat related to Mephisto -- at least with respect to the addition of rum. But that's about it. I found nothing else linking the two blends, alas.

Sextant is really atypical. Smoking shows this is a cross between an English and a navy flake. Notable elements are: (1) The presence of Burley. And boy, its there! One gets a powerful nicotine kick from this and the tell tale strong, rough and dry flavour pattern of Burley. It feels like that Kentucky burley that one sometimes find in Pease and C&D blends. It is inordinately strong nicotine wise. (2) The presence of Rum. Rum or any other flavouring usually signifies the blend is not an English one, until now I suppose. Here it is subtle, more so I think than Mephisto.

So it is an original blend. Imagine a navy blend with latakia in it! If it were a song it would be one of those poppy rap song that add bits of classic songs (that would be the Latakia, the english side of the blend) to their own (that would be the burely, the rum), I think it is called sampling. Some like it, I find it odd, unsettling. Taste wise, it is uneven though Greg blends the various elements as well as can be.

If you like blends that are odd, out of the ordinary, give it a try. I you are a traditionalist, you might want to give this a pass. I'll give the tins I had purchased to more adventurous friends.
Mar 31, 2015 Strong Medium to Strong Medium Strong
I do not like this blend. It just did not sit well with me, and I found it somewhat nauseating. I wasn't sure why - was it because of the rum topping? Or because the tobaccos in this just don't blend well together? Maybe all of the above.

I wouldn't classify this as an English blend by any stretch. The flavours in this blend just don't come together very well IMO. It's not as sweet and moist as Sutliff's rum flavoured Barbados Plantation, but just as unpleasant for different reasons. Anyways, the rest of my tin is up for offer to any fellow pipe smokers in the GTA region that would like to give it a whiff.
Pipe Used: briar, meer
PurchasedFrom: Smoking Pipes
Age When Smoked: new to 6 months
Jul 21, 2012 Strong Medium Medium Overwhelming
Okay, folks. This is my first review. I've been smoking for 40 years and finally decided to take a crack at reviewing some of the tobaccos I've tried. I'm not as gifted at picking out particulars as many of you are. I plan to give a more general review; how does it small, room note, and is it a pleasant tast or does it make you want to toss it out.

I picked up two small tins of Sextant at the Chicago show this spring. I've smoked many of Greg's blends and overall, I've enjoyed them. Wish I could say the same for Sextant. Upon opening the tin, the aroma is almost nauseating. The taste is relatively mild considering the tobaccos used. I was rather surprised at this. The problem is that there just isn't enough kick to make it memorable. I should add that this was smoked in a large Larryson calabash that had never seen any other tobacco (got that at the show, too). Where this blend really loses out is in the room note. As mentioned, I smoke many strong blends (Odessey, Blue Mountain, Maltese Falcon, Spilman Mixture, etc). My wife is very tolerant. However, this was the first time she told me to put it out or get out (outside that is). After leaving the room and coming back (something I do often to get a good idea of the odor), Had to agree with her. This was noxious to the extreme. I have a bowl or two left in the tin and after I finish that, I will buy no more.

Without a great taste to make up for its other shortcomings, I simply can't recommend this tobacco. Sorry, Greg. Better luck next time.
Oct 29, 2015 Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Overwhelming
It takes a mad scientist to spend his time smashing together navy flakes, aromatics, and latakia blends like some Model UN that contains only the worst of Scandinavia, England, and the USA.

It was a neat idea though.

target="_blank"