A complex little import, Horst Lichter's "Espressotabak" introduces us to a mixture of dark cavendishes, a pinch of burley, and several Virginias, before introducing an exclusive, rich, and aromatic espresso flavor.

Notes: Formerly named "Horst Lichter Kollektion Espressotabak TAB 20".

The television chef and rhenish bon vivant Horst Lichter sure enough is one of the most prominent pipe smoker of Germany. He lends his name for several pipe models of the company Vauen. As a chef he knows what makes an excellent flavor. Therefore this Horst Lichter pipe tobacco was developed from a close collaboration with the television star. This way a mild creamy variety of medium strength which has a full bodied, yet not overly dominant note of sweetish espresso. (Horst Lichter is a TV chef that hosts various TV shows in Germany. As he's also a pipe smoker Vauen and Horst Lichter collaborated to create two personalized blends for him.)

BrandVauen
FlavoringCocoa / Chocolate, Coffee, Cream
Strength
Taste
Mild, Medium

2.6
canvas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
canvas (207)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable to Strong

This was my fourth and likely last attempt to find a coffee flavored tobacco. So far, the previous three have all failed to produce much coffee taste.

The initial aroma was horrible. Something akin to damp rotting fruit. If it was supposed to be espresso, it would have to be some kind of latte buried under a gallon of sick fruit syrup.

Well it took about an hour to light. I guess whatever they topped it with was also fire retardant. There was an unpleasant tongue bite that surprised me since it didn't seem 'that' strong, and once again, there was nothing here to remind me of coffee. It was just bitter and gross and reminded me of some cheap crap they sell in those 5lb bags at the gas station.

In the end, it may be best to just make a great cup of coffee with your favorite tobacco.

pipe4me Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipe4me (6)

A friend of mine bring me a 50g tin(price12.5euro),from Germany.It's a high quality aromatic tobacco.Aroma is mild as you open the tin and taste is mild too.No tongue bite at all till the end of the bowl.Taste is the same from the start to the end.I was expecting it more aromatic but the tobacco quality is so high that i don't mind at all.Burns extremely well without residues at the end.

Pipe Used: briar

CDM Jr. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CDM Jr. (15)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

A very perplexing blend. Many flavors combine to make a smoke that's difficult to describe.

Black Cavendish, Burley & Virginia make up the leaf end of things but the toppings mask all but the BC. Chocolate, Cream(vanilla?)&Coffee are advertised as the toppings but not one stands out. I don't get Coffee at all. However, it's a melange that for me really works.

This is quickly becoming a #1 for me. As with all Vauen blends the tobacco quality is 1st class. It behaves well, no dottle, lites right up and doesn't bite no matter how hard I push it. If you're looking for Coffee, brew a cup. There's none here. Still a 4 star blend.

CDM Jr.

Pipe Used: Peterson Christmas 2017 408

Age When Smoked: 1 hour dry time.

Purchased From: tobaccopipes.com

Similar Blends: Unique blend.

Briar Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briar Piper (86)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Remember McClelland tastemaster from their premium aromatic line? Miss it? Want something even better? Well here you go!

Dark chocolate galore, even the room note will linger for ages, noticed by everyone but the smoker, who will be chocolated out.

About as bite free as any aromatic I have ever smoked.

Coffee is present but barely noticeable amidst the cocoa topping, which is delicious!

This may be the best chocolate aro I have smoked to date, and will be a regular purchase for me.

Most chocolate aromatics are either sticky, goopy, have poor leaf, no taste, bite, crackle, lr some other problem. Not this one! It is the best quality, fine flavor, and has no bite. Even has a mild nicotine presence.

I am primarily a smoker of english blends, but always looking for the perfect aromatic for evenings. This may be the best chocolate aromatic ever made.

Pipe Used: Misc

Similar Blends: Tastemaster.

Skoma Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skoma (27)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Strong

By opening the tin your are greeted by the full smell of coffee and a dark, cavendisch based mixture. The tobacco comes perfectly smokable out of the tin and it really holds it´s promise of coffee taste. But it is not the fancy latte machiatto but a full bodied, roasted espresso with bitterness and a little sweetness here and there and that taste is consistent through the bowl. Recomended if you like coffee...

Pipe Used: various

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (183)

I gave this a whirl a while ago and was not too impressed. To me, coffee taste is best left for coffee not tobacco. The tobacco itself is quite a good blend, just needs something other than a try at coffee flavoring for the topping. Not recommended.

Amsteracqua Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Amsteracqua (23)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Horst Lichter of "Espressotabak" was my second experience with imported tobaccos, but I think it was very mild in this case I cannot say, anyway, that this pipe tobacco is not recommended. This blend is highly recommended for begginers, and for that most experts smokers, this tobacco is somewhat recommended, but, i can say this is a good tobacco for any time.

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (117)
Extremely Mild Medium to Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I had high hopes for this one but what a dissapointment. There is no real coffee aroma or flavor here, in fact it directly reminded me of Dan Tobacco's Blue note with that disgusting melange of hickory nut-vanilla-fruit casing. Despite my distaste for it, Blue note is a superior aromatic especially in flavor. This on the other hand is rather flat. Comprising I would say over 60% to 70% air cured style black cavendish with the other lighter color blond elements ie virginia, burley and all together rather too moist out of the tin.

HabaneroHardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HabaneroHardy (128)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I bought a tin of this at my local pipe and cigar store back in January, smoked a bowl or two and moved on to something else. I believe it was the last tin they had and I was curious. The tin label had the gentleman himself on the front with his pipe and some large coffee beans up front. This one also squeaked past the inspectors because it had no warning label not that I think the tin is that old. The tobacco is extremely moist with a strong cocoa/chocolate smell. I good not really detect any coffee. It smokes very well and definitely has a pleasant chocolate taste. As coincidence would have it, my coffee beans delivery arrived will I was smoking outside on the front porch and the driver said this blend smelled really good. I talked to him for a few minutes, he tried a pipe a long time ago and I told him if he was ever interested to stop by and join our pipe club meetings, we have weekly.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum

acesgr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
acesgr (4)
Medium to Strong Strong Full Pleasant

If you like strong aromatic blends this one is for you.If you love coffee , this one is for you.If you like espresso in particular this one is for you.Good quality aromatic,ready to be smoke at once, strong and intense flavor of espresso coffee, smell like fresh cut coffee beans ...Aroma is there until the end of the bowl, no tongue bit and it's recommend it for beginners.Room note quit pleasant ...

Pipe Used: pipex