Samuel Gawith Jubilee 2012

(2.00)
The new limited edition Jubilee 2012 pipe tobacco celebrates The Queen's Diamond Jubilee and Samuel Gawith's 220th year of producing fine English tobaccos. Samuel Gawith have packed 50 grams of a celebratory blend of Virginias and black cavendish with the fizz of champagne.
Notes: Samuel Gawith have produced the new pipe tobacco tins in three different designs to mark this special occasion.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

2.00 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 1 - 2 of 2 Reviews
Reviewed By Date Rating Strength Flavoring Taste Room Note
Mar 11, 2017 Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable
Samuel Gawith - Jubilee 2012.

I love Sam Gawith tobaccos, in my opinion they make some of the best. This, unfortunately, isn't one of their better offerings.

Good old Sam Gawith, five years old and still soaking wet. You can't argue, they really know how to seal a tin, lol!

The ribbons include a slightly higher proportion of Virginia than black Cavendish. I'm not too fond of the aroma from the tin, it's quite sour.

I wouldn't say this is highly aromatic, it's only quite mildly flavoured. But, even though the added flavouring's mild, there's just enough of it to give the smoke a sour rankness. It also bites me like an animal..... one with big teeth! To be fair, the tobaccos taste nice enough, it would be a pleasant smoke if it weren't for the casing.

The nicotine's mild, and I don't like the room-note.

It's quite a rare occurrence for me: a Sam G' blend I find abhorrent!

Not recommended.
Pipe Used: Brebbia Fat Bob
PurchasedFrom: 4noggins
Please login to upvote this review.
Reviewed By Date Rating Strength Flavoring Taste Room Note
Jun 03, 2012 Mild Mild Very Mild Tolerable
Yes, I also got carried away with the diamond jubilee celebrations and thought, what the hell, I'd rather spend a tenner on this than on cheap Chinese bunting.

As the previous reviewer observes, this one's a biter. I have a very low tolerance threshold for cased tobaccos, all of which bite me to a greater or lesser extent, but this is one of the worst blends I've smoked recently. I persisted through a couple of bowls, but then stuck it away, almost certainly never to be smoked again.

As far as the flavour is concerned, it could charitably be described as odd. There's no champagne note that my palate can detect, rather just a bitter note of citrus peel.

Hard to recommend, even to the most enthusiastic of monarchists.
Please login to upvote this review.

target="_blank"