Esoterica Tobacciana Penzance

(3.48)
A wonderful complex secret recipe of the finest Virginia, choice Turkish and Orientals and Cyprian latakia, all hand blended together, hard pressed and broad cut into thick flakes. Long matured and easily crumbled to facilitate pipe filling.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.48 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 231 - 240 of 464 Reviews
Dec 04, 2009 Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable
Maybe the best only whish for more nicotine.this is a GREAT tobacco.not to miss.5 stars.
Nov 01, 2009 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable
I am so glad I finally bought a couple of ounces of this in bulk from my local tobacconist - El Fumador. What a wonderful smoke, well prepared and presented. Not being a fan of flake, I am impressed nevertheless. I could not imagine offering any suggestion whatsoever to adjust this blend more to my liking. It was a bit wet from the bag and took a bit to ignite, but it packed easily and burned perfectly. In taste I was surprised how much this reminded me of my favorite blend -Cornell and Diehl's Engine #99. I was shocked in fact as I expected to make a comparison here with Esoterica's own Margate (another favored blend for me) instead. One can tell it's a close relative of Margate, but very much distinct as well. All of the flavors in which I delight in Engine99 are in Penzance but in a more civilized, mellower manner. While I love Engine99 it is a bit robust even for my hardcore palate to take as an all-day smoke. Penzance I can easily imagine as all-day. A decent sized bowl of this lasts me nearly two hours (versus a bit over 30 minutes for the C&D blend). Could be my new #1...time will tell.
Jul 13, 2009 Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
I want to enjoy this tobacco as many people have.I am not there yet. The tin smells smoky with a strong hint of BBQ sauce. I have only smoked about three bowls. Will review later when done with the tin.
Jun 22, 2009 Strong Strong Very Full Overwhelming
Penzance is a highly reputed blend inside Chinese pipe smokers. The cut is good and the humidity is just fit for immediate enjoyment. I have a pipe dedicated to this blend. It is just amazing. However, only enjoying it in my first-of-the-day smoke could I enjoy the full taste of this blend, and just because of this fact I couldn't give this blend a 4-star. But anyway, bravo Esoterica Tobacciana, because of the experience of Penzance I do not regret ordering various other blends from this blender. Let's see.
May 22, 2009 Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
What an interesting smoke. I like it better than the Margate that came with it. I've only had one bowl so far (I'm still smoking it as I type) and although it is smoking a little wet for me, I like it a lot. I'll have to dry out my next load a little more before I smoke it. I'm gonna have to practice my flake bowl filling technique to get the best from this tobacco though. Dang noobee! All in all a good smoke, I recommend it!
May 13, 2009 Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable
After a few bowls and two weeks of the tin being cracked, the flavors really came through for this wonderful stuff and it is something to savor on. It has some Balkan like thickness and creamyness to it. The taste is extremely pleasant if not addictive. Cool smoking and no bite. A load needs to dry out for 30 minutes or so before smoking. I give it 5 stars if you're into balkans and latakias. This stuff is really in a class of its own I think. Another keeper for my monthly shopping list.
Apr 14, 2009 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong
Try this one in the tin before you try it in bulk. The presentation in the tin and the composition of the flakes (sliced Krumble Kake to be more precice) is a big part of the appeal of this tobacco. I have tins and I have some in bulk and the taste is different as well. The tins have a much smoother and rounder flavor, perhaps because of the extra time spent aging in a tin at the tobacconists shop without exposure to air. The bulk version seems to be the bits and ends of the kakes left over after they have trimmed, cut, and sliced the kakes to fit so perfectly in the tin. Surely this is the same tobacco but is not handled in the same way. My flakes were a lovely dark color with light specks and the sugar crystal formation of the aged virginias. Much of that is missing in the bulk version. Also, if you pay close attention, many of the poorer reviews are given by smokers who sampled the bulk version only. I give this one a solid 3 stars because I prefer perique in my blends. 4 stars is reserved for those rare blends that put me in a state of bliss which I am finding in perique blends only these days.
Apr 04, 2009 Medium Extremely Mild Full Tolerable to Strong
I must say this is a tastey smoke.Very well balanced and neatly packaged.Easy to rubout and to smoke.Not a smoke for newbies.Not my every day smoke but nice for late evening.I would say every one should try this at least one time.I'll stick with my virgnia but like a change now and then.
Apr 04, 2009 Extremely Mild Mild Very Mild Tolerable
When St James and Brown #4 were out of stock, based on these virtually unanimous effusively glowing reviews, I substituted 8oz each of Stonehaven and Penzance, and gained a higher education in a culture of 'tasting' that I'd egregiously misunderstood. Fish out of water; I didn't know how much I didn't know. Contrary to researching and buying cigars by the box for walk-in humidor conditioning over months to years, reserving judgment to time and 'finish,' I am unfamiliar with the utility of flavor 'notes' divorced from a conditio sine qua non nicotine bass cleft. I thought; perhaps the bulk version is different from the tinned or I'd gotten 'And So to Bed' in a quality control gaffe. An opportunity in every debacle, I learned that my expectations and goals are as at variance as an aficionado of aged single malt scotches and wine tasters who rinse and spit. I 'tasted' it again, 'searching for the good:' Light cotton-candy liquid smoke that leaves an aftertaste I had initially interpreted as preservative, I took a gentleman's word that it is not. One de-caffeinated disappointment at a time, s'il vu plais; I haven't bothered with Stonehaven. Yet. On a positive ending note, I gained a deepened appreciation for my 1792, Full Virginia, Brown #4, Cob Plug, and Black XX blessings, among others.
Mar 02, 2009 Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
This is an excellent english style tobacco. It is easy to prepare for filling. It is easy to light and has the most wonderful flavor. I have smoked many of the Esoterica blends and they are of the finest quality. This stuff stays good all the way down to the last. I smoke this in a Dunhill group 4 pot shape and it does justice to this fine blend. Dont pass this one up. I have spent many nice evenings around our firepit with a nice blaze going and a bowl of penzance. What a life!

target="_blank"