Esoterica Tobacciana Margate

(3.31)
A classic English mixture done in the "old style" of many of the fine tobaccos that have now disappeared from the market place. Choice Orientals, matured Virginias, and generous quantities of premium Cyprian latakia keynote this rich, full bodied blend. A well balanced, robust and eminently satisfying smoke.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.31 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 71 - 80 of 208 Reviews
Nov 26, 2011 Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable
This is a tobacco grown, cured and packaged in the British Isles. So I suppose it should come as no surprise to find the overall aroma and taste is one of dried grass clippings. Upon further investigation I was able to pinpoint the aroma to Lucerne Grass, which is used in the manufacture of Rabbit pellets (by the makers and the rabbits). This tobacco rates alongside a good Welch Claret, or a fine Scottish cigar. I don't know what the other reviewers have been smoking but my tin has already been assigned to the city dump. Strictly a one bowl smoke, who can be bothered to persevere when it's made out of grass?
Oct 04, 2007 Medium Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable
On the plus side, it doesn´t offend upon the match, it is clearly complex developing and alternating various flavors through out the smoking experience, it burns well, unlike Penzance it has some body that however at times wanes considerably, and it smokes cool without threat of tongue bite. On the minus side, it doesn´t taste good.

Additionally this product is clearly cased, which offends my sensibilities when considering an english blend. So many other companies can concoct a pleasurable smoking mixture in this genre without any apparent extra sauces. Tobacco smoke suposedly has enough noxious chenicals, why add more unless you have to? ¨Different¨ isn´t necessarily better, and after one gets over the initial intrigue, it can in many cases prove tiring. Such is the case with this tobacco starting at about a third of the way through the bowl.
Jul 31, 2006 Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable
Overall, this is a pretty decent tobacco. I felt like there wasn't a whole lot of Latakia in it, but many orientals. It burns well, it smells good, but in my opinion, the flavor leaves something to desire. Margates flavor seems to have a smoked meat flavor to it, and just doesn't work for me. The quality is there, but the flavor isn't.
Jan 12, 2006 Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable
Tried this based on the overwhelming positive reviews here. Smells good in the tin, like fermenting Virginia. Unfortunately, to me, does not smoke like it smells. I must be quite sensitive to whatever flavoring agent they use, and there definitely is one. The tobacco just has a very peculiar flavor that I can't readily identify.

Can see why it is popular though. Don't think it would bite if you tried to get it to. Very cool and smooth smoking.
Apr 19, 2005 Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable
I did this backwards, and by that I mean I tried Pembroke first, which was a big disappointment. (See my review on that if you wish.) Apparently, Margate is Pembroke without the gimmicky cognac thrown in to spoil whatever tobacco taste there is. Margate is definitely better, but with or without spirits, it doesn?t do a whole lot for me. I can see why this tobacco would have its fans, but I guess you have to be a loyal Esoterica aficionado to appreciate it. Other than in Stella Doro biscuits, I?m not crazy about anise. Except for Penzance, none of their blends do much for me. I will be trying the Stonehaven, which I hear is beyond words, though I probably won?t like that one either. There?s simply too much good full English out there to waste any time with Margate.

Two of five stars
Apr 02, 2002 Very Strong Extremely Mild Extra Full Strong
Perhaps it's just me, but I had a bad experience with this particular blend. This was the first full English blend I ever smoked...I was entirely unprepared! The first time, I smoked it on an empty stomach and a few cups of coffee: big mistake! I'll leave the rest to your imagination!

It is quite strong, packs a hell of kick, and is quite tasty: once you get used to it.

A bit too expensive for my taste, though: Dunhill crafts an equally superb product for much less money.
Jan 21, 2002 Very Strong Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong
This is a tobacco that has a well balanced nose, in that the Oriental's, Latakia, perhaps South American Virginia, and Cavendish do a smart performance of impersonating the other. A medium brown in color, and not to moist. The tobacco packs well, like most ribbon cut, and the charring light post no aversion. Most of the journey down the bowl remains constant, without anybody getting upset. A good entry to the world of full English blend's, without recourse. Burns to a medium grey ash, little dottle. A good blend, but not one that is pronounced enough for my taste.
Dec 16, 2021 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
A while back I read a review somewhere, not sure if it was on here or on some other site, where the reviewer said he couldn’t tell the difference between Esoterica’s Margate and J.F. Germains Balkan Sobraine.

That particular review always stuck in the back of my mind, so about a week ago I opened a tin of each. I must say I totally agree. As I sit here looking at them and in turn smoking them I literally cannot tell the difference between either of these two tobaccos. Everything about them is exactly the same.

Margate is a shag cut tobacco. The color is mahogany with black. The tin note is a salty smoky aroma. While smoking, for me, what stands out most about Margate relative to other English style tobaccos is its creaminess. I’m not sure if it’s the way the Virginias are matured or the type of Orientals used but there is certainly a creaminess component to this tobacco. The Latakia is mild to medium, not too heavy handed, and provides a smoky incense like component. The smooth creaminess and smoky incense work together complimenting each other to create a very enjoyable smoking experience. It’s sad that the Esoterica and J.F. Germain tobaccos aren’t more readily available but it is what it is. I say enjoy ‘em when you can find ‘em and there are plenty of other worthwhile tobaccos out there when you can’t.
Pipe Used: Briar
Mar 19, 2021 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
This is a quintessential English blend and most of the savory descriptions that others before me have proclaimed are true .... so I'll leave those eloquent notations to suffice. However, in my experience this is a finicky blend. That means straight out of a fresh bag or tin … I found it tough to light & keep lit. IMHO, it’s tastier when fresh ... but it’s still difficult to light and keep lit even when it's permitted to dry appropriately. I didn't expect this from a shag/ribbon cut blend which I normally find quite easy to light & stay lit ... but such was not the case for me (and I tried several packing methods with little difference). IMHO, the mystique and limited availability of this blend has gone overboard. Don't get me wrong, I do like it but I'm not inclined to pay a premium (again) when me thinks there are other noteworthy English blends readily available & just as good. 4 stars for taste & aroma and a 2 points off for being so finicky = 2 stars.
Pipe Used: Briars, Meerschaum, Cobs
PurchasedFrom: www.pipestud.com
Age When Smoked: Fresh & Aged Several Months
Aug 22, 2020 Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong
I smoked my way through a single precious tin that I was Able to acquire back in 2012. As noted by previous reviewers, the cut is a shag/extremely skinny ribbon cut. It is dark in color and I cannot easily identify any of the constituent tobaccos. The tin note is pure Latakia. I could not discern or taste any of the promised orientals. The Virginia, if there is any, is largely smothered by the heavier smokier leaf. I would agree with many of the older reviews that this comes sopping wet as many traditional British blends do. While I am a fan of several other blends hailing from the Channel Islands, this one just isn’t for me. Smokers who enjoy a stiff dose of Latakia and whose taste buds aren’t fried by the dark smoky leaf may get much more mileage from this concoction. I’m just not sure it is worth the hunt...

target="_blank"