Esoterica Tobacciana And So To Bed

(2.84)
Finest grade Virginia and Maryland type tobaccos are carefully aged and blended with Greek Oriental leaf and top-grade Cyprian Latakia. The blend is then specially processed and additionally matured to produce a mellow full strength smoke with rich flavor and unique aroma.
Notes: This mixture is absolutely ideal for the evening, ergo.We borrowed the name from the diaries of Samuel Pepys, Esquire. Most excellent grade Virginia and Maryland type tobaccos are carefully aged and blended with Greek "Oriental" leaf and top-grade Cyprian Latakia. The blend is then specially processed and additionally matured to produce a mellow, full-strength smoke with rich flavor and unique aroma.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

2.84 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 1 - 10 of 11 Reviews
Mar 31, 2014 Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant
I was only able to get my hands on one tin of this fine tobacco before it was perpetually out of stock. My experience differs from most of the reviewers here. I do not remember detecting any topping. There was definitely some fermented sweetness but I wouldn't call it a topping. This is an oily tobacco of mostly dark leaf. I would call it more of a Balkan, with some sour notes and a subtle sweetness. It reminded me a little of durbar.

Update 30-09-2014: I recently got a bag of this stuff and was extremely disappointed. The stuff smells of Bananas, or as my friend Virginia Lover best describes it, Juicy Fruit chewing gum. What have they done to this blend! Shame that the description on the packaging is so misleading. This in my books qualifies as an aromatic tobacco.
Nov 21, 2005 Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Tolerable to Strong
I thought I reviewed this, but I guess I didn't or perhaps it dropped off. In either case, I first tried this blend about a year ago & wasn't impressed. I don't like the taste of anise in tobacco or liquor, though I enjoy it in biscotti or a little in coffee. This blend was always too briny & left an unpleasant aftertaste. Though I never liked it, I respected it for what it was: a unique tobacco creation of Esoterica by master blender JF Germain. Well, once again, outsourcing or tobacco crop failure or recipe changes are afoot here. Previously, I might have given this two stars, but now I'd give it less than one. The anise is not a flavoring, but a sensory overdose. The latakia is hot & one dimensional. Room note is billows of thick, unmemorable smoke. I don't know what's going on, but the last three tins of stuff I've bought or tried have been woefully disappointing. Now I'm hearing rumors that the marvelous Penzance is not being produced or about to undergo some serious changes. Wither pipesmoking? I hope not, as it's one of the few pleasures some of us have left. Yeah, right, I know, get a life, right? I'd be glad to, provided, of course modern times offered a life worth getting.

1/2 of five stars
Nov 23, 2014 Mild Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable
I have a tin of this tobacco from 2012 and, for the purpose of comparison, was foolish enough to pay an unseemly sum for the latest incarnation. The 2012 tin won hands down. The ribbon cut is the same, but similarities end there. The latest version had some odd flavoring or topping, not the more interesting (and satisfying) characteristics of 2012. I have no idea what Germain has done to this blend, or why. BigDadz and Virginia Lover have it right: a hint of banana and Juicy Fruit. One can only hope that this is 'bad batch' tobacco, or that quality control was on holiday during production. In any case, the price prohibits me from giving it a second chance any time soon.
Aug 16, 2014 Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant
This "English" is an light Aromatic. Bland Virginias with a smidgeon of Latakia and Orientals lost in the casing. The only plus is that the casing smells and tastes the same, Juicy Fruit chewing gum with a base of alcohol. For a light strength Aromatic, I would give three stars but advertised as an English mixture it's worth one star and that is because I cannot give half. Talk about false advertisement, I don't miss Esoterica so much anymore.

Virginia lover
Apr 24, 2006 Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable
I don't know what the special process and additional maturing entails, but I think its got something to do with honey flavored cough syrup and raisins. About all I can say of this bacco is that it's a usefull blend to resurrect a pipe that chambered too many aromatics. I salvaged my favorite Comoy using a tin of this stuff. Not for me.
Mar 29, 2006 Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant
I no longer update reviews. I write new ones, as I am finding there are dramatic changes occuring in these blends.They,therefore,warrant new reviews. I'll get to the point quickly on this one. It went from being my desert island blend to being my worst enemy blend. Perfume on top of cheap leaf! Reminds me of Sam Malloys or Liberty. Real Garbage. It seems the European tobaccos are getting worse by the year. What is going on since the EU? I guess unification in one area brings discord in another. Pass on all Butera tins for now. They lost their MOJO.
Feb 15, 2005 Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
02-15-2005 Unfortunately, this one put me to bed.

Appearance and Tin aroma: Looks similar to Margate, but with less darker leaf. Smells like there is a high content of Oriental leaaf in the blend, possibly a clove type casing?

Packing and Lighting: Moisture was perfect, loading was typical for a ribbon cut. Stayed lit easily after a second relight.

Initial Flavor: Whoa! Either the flavor is of a particularly fragrant greek or oriental, or there is some sort of casing in this. It reminds me of clove cigarettes, but not as intense.

Mid-bowl: The initial intensity of flavor softens and the flavor is quite deliciously rich. This blend also benefits from DGT. The bad of this blend is also apparent at this point: namely, it is giving me a headache and a thick coating in my mouth.

Bottom of bowl: There is a definite build up of strength of both flavor and nicotine, but it is not overbearing. My headache is getting worse. Ash that is left is fine and grey.

Overall: This is a high quality blend that definitely has a unique flavor. Unfortunately, something in it triggered an allergic reaction in me. Yes, it gave me a whopper of a headache and a mouth coating that would not go away for a while, even when rinsing with a hydrogen peroxide solution. I also developed some hives on my skin that lasted a couple days. The flavor reminded me of Germain's Royal Jersey Latakia mixture, but that one does not affect me like this one did. I suppose that I will stick with Margate, Penzance, Stonehaven, and Tilbury for now.

Rating 2 out of 5 points, yes, chemistry is the culprit.
Mar 12, 2004 Medium Medium Medium Tolerable
This is the first Esoterica tobacco that I do not like. At first it seemed like a nice English style aromatic, But the more I got into the tin, the more realized that I didn't care for the casing at all. I much prefer Margate to this. The spaghetti cut didn't pack well either. YMMD.
Dec 09, 2009 Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong
Boy is this blend a sleeper! Coming up with a name for this tobacco probably didn't take much more than thirty seconds. Creative people love it when those kinds of ideas come right at them, but in the case of pipe tobacco, it illustrates little more than mediocrity and simplicity of blend. And so to bed I will put this stuff.
Mar 31, 2006 Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant
Having tried Margate a few years ago, I was looking forward to this, thinking I'd get basically an English blend. I got the tin of ASTB from an employer who had had it for some years. When I opened it and smoked it, I tasted nothing but the casing. Unconscionable for any venerable blender to do that without warning me! Reminds me of Dunhill's "3-Year Matured Virginia" whose name should get them a false advertising suit pronto. However, I didn't throw away the ASTB, but left it in a jar for some months and forgot about it. Then, the weather improving, I dug it out and tried it again. Apparently, the casing had evaporated or something. It actually tasted a lot better. More a subtle chocolate. Still not great, but I figure it could make a good crossover from virginias to aromatics or vice-versa. But then again, it's hard for me to imagine liking aromatics. That is the explanation for my paradoxical choice of "medium to strong" flavoring with a "mild" taste. The flavoring is way too strong initially because it overpowers everything else, the rest having a subtle flavor. Don't waste your time on this one.

target="_blank"