A unique rugged cut, blended with the finest aromatic burley and Virginia tobaccos available. Always a smooth smoke without a bite.

BrandBackwoods
FlavoringSweet / Sugar
Packaging 50 grams pouch
Strength
Extremely Mild, Very Mild
Medium to Strong, Strong
Taste
Very Mild, Mild to Medium
1.8
Extremely Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

The Virginias offer grass/hay and a touch of honey. The burley is very mildly nutty with some molasses. A sugary sweet topping was added to pick up the dullness of the blend. The nic-hit is barely mild. Has a lot of PG. Needs dry time, burns at a moderate pace, and leaves too much moisture in the bowl. I don’t see it being much of a mixer, and not a filling all day smoke. May bite if you puff real fast. Has a weak after taste. An all day day smoke.

-JimInks

AlexL Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AlexL (26)
Extremely Mild Strong Extra Full Tolerable

When I see a "Sport" sticker on a car, I know that there's nothing sporty here. The same is about "natural" in this name. Nothing natural here, heavily flavored cheap wet mix. Avoid at all costs.

cedeks Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cedeks (8)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Very Mild Pleasant

First of all, the name of this tobacco is misleading. This blend includes sweet flavors that are very clear from the smell of the tobacco as soon as you open the pouch and when you smoke it. Therefore, I think this is not a natural tobacco only but a heavily flavored tobacco (I think they are not natural). Second of all, this is very mild tobacco that I only recommend for newly pipe smokers or if you have no other choice. Both the strength and the price of this tobacco are very low (less than 3 US$ for a 40gm pouch). Third of all, it is a wet tobacco while smoking and you will feel the tongue bite from the artificial flavors after a while regardless how slow smoker you are. In the end, if you are looking for some nicotine or real tobacco blend then you have to look somewhere else.

Chili guy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chili guy (12)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

Slightly vinegary pouch note. Easy load, easy pack, easy light, easy to keep going. Definitely a middle of the road tobacco. Not much snob appeal but likely a good transition tobacco for those wanting to change from Backwoods Cheroots to a pipe. No wife complaints over the aroma.

Burns a bit fast for its ribbon size but not hot or bitey. Moist in the pouch inviting steamed tongue if puffed hard.

May be a good foundation blend for trying out your own flavoring or topping as it’s quite neutral.

Pipe Used: Savinelli 810 KS

Age When Smoked: Freshly opened pouch

Purchased From: Don’t remember.

Similar Blends: Think of Captain Black without topping., Lane Limited - Captain Black Regular (white).

Cherry picker 1779 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cherry picker 1779 (25)
Mild Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

heavily topped and very goopy, but it’s a pleasant smoke and the room note is really nice. I love the backwoods flavored cigars, and this pipe tobacco is enjoyed also. I don’t smoke aromatics. The package says “ all natural” but that’s just not even close. I can’t taste any of the natural tobacco..... but I kinda still like it for a change in pace I guess.... it’s really cheap and it’s not gonna win any awards. But the flavor stays through the smoke and it’s a non obtrusive aroma to people around you. The Cornell and Diehl old joe krantz and mac barren bold Kentucky I’ve been smoking really left my pipe ghosted and stinking something bad. They are my favorites , but my empty pipe can literally stink up a room....I smoked a couple bowls of backwoods and my pipe doesn’t stink now. So that’s a plus I guess too. This stuff is cheap and would make for a non complex all day smoke that requires no concentration. It’s mild and I don’t detect any nicotine whatsoever. Give it a go, but remember, I didn’t tell you to !!

canvas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
canvas (247)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

I feel they did a good job translating the essence of their chewy rugged little cigars into a pipe tobacco. It has been a long time since I summoned my inner Clint Eastwood and had a Backwoods cigar, but I have fond memories of chewing on the end raw and pretending to be some desperado.

The sweet kinda-cherry aroma in the pouch took me back, and the rubbery moist feel of the leaves was also reminiscent. It acts a bit putty-esque and packs without much air flow, taking a tad more work to get fired up. The taste once lit is candy infused leather made from the same cauldron as their gas station stogies. There is no bite and little nicotine, so go full ham if you want on this one.

I really enjoyed it as an aromatic and finished the pouch way too fast, and yeah, it is probably some cheap crap filled with high-fructose corn syrup, but it is a guilty pleasure I will revisit again, and for the bargain price of $5 why the hell not!