Peterson The Royal Yacht

(3.00)
Truly a luxurious tobacco. Virginias are carefully conditioned to ensure sweetness. They are added to rich, heavier and cooler Virginias. A unique flavor is added to the final blend to enhance the subtle and piquant aroma.
Notes: Pure shade grown Virginias, very soft smoking, particularly recommended in cases of delicate throat. -1917 Lemon and bronze Virginia leaves are carefully conditioned and are added to rich heavy body Virginias, a unique flavour is added to the final blend. -1985 Formerly known as a Dunhill blend, it now sports the Peterson brand.

Details

Packaging 50 grams tin
Country Denmark
Production Currently available

Profile

Strength
Strong

Extremely Mild -> Overwhelming

None Detected -> Extra Strong

Unnoticeable -> Overwhelming
Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.00 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 81 - 90 of 438 Reviews
May 31, 2011 Strong Medium to Strong Full Tolerable
Dunhill's Royal Yacht (new Orlik version) is a very smooth smoking VA/PER, without the Perique! It comes as aged, apparently pressed, fermented slightly, then ribboned tobacco.

Upon popping the lid on the 50g tin, I get nasal quaffs reminiscent of dried figs and raisins, with a sweet spiciness. The color is an even, uniform dark brown (not black), with very little if any hint of lighter ribbons, as might be detected in other VA/PER blends. Upon charing a strong sweet taste develops, and at mid-bowl, one has comfortaby settled in for a sweet Virginia smoke. No Latakia here.

Although reviewers mention some sort of casing, I detected none, and instead was reminded on simple, pure un-adultered Virginia tobaccos. The Burley is also detectable, brining a "brightness" to the deep sweetness of the Virginias. I do think some fermentation went into this, and although it states flavoring as "Coffee, Brandy and Plum", my take on this is that these are volatiles that are developed during the short fermentation.

In many respects, this tobacco reminds me of Escudo, put out by Peter Stokkebye, although that comes in coin form, and involves Perique as a condiment. The smoke is on the high side regarding nicotine, and as such was a bit much for me. Not that I am a wimp in these matters, but I think its a bit on the edge.

I would rate this 2 out of 4 stars, reserving 3 for Escudo, and 4 for my best English and Balkan blends. I used to love VA/PERs but over the years have started to prefer the inherent complexities of Latakia, that I miss when smoking VA/PERs.

Also, the high N content for me brought it down for me. Nightcap also has a high N content, but Royal Yacht has for me about twice the content. And after a bowl, I am seeing stars!

Lastly, as is the case with so many of these latest Dunhill reincarnations by Orlick, there is a chemical taste that I can't quite place, but it seems to be present in a great many of the Orlick re-issues of Dunhill (only it Early Morning Pipe and London Mixture it seems to be absent). Perhaps its a Burley additive to generate bulk in the blends, or its some sort of anti-fungal or preservative of some sort, but whatever it is, for my palate it is really discernible.

What with all the fine blends available from GL Pease, Russ Ouellette of Hearth & Home, not to mention Cornell & Diehl,Gawith Hoggarth & Co., Esoterica, McClelland etc. I simply can not bring myself to allocate 4 stars for these Orlick DK re-issues of the once famed Dunhill brand. Sorry, but that's my two cents. See my review on Dunhill MM 965 for more along these lines.

Anyhoo, happy smoking to one and all.
Sep 06, 2008 Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable
RY is not what I expected from reading many of the reviews. I was expecting something more "floral" or cased. Instead what I got is a very nice burning VA with just the subtlest of added aroma blended in the with sweet smell of the tobacco. I do not find this to be an incredibly strong tobacco - less nicotine than, say, G&H Dark Flake - more like Kendal Kentucky in strength - less strong that Peterson University Strength (in terms of nicotine). I dry mine about 1/2 hour before smoking and it smokes clean to the bottom of the bowl with none of that wet, goopy dottle sometimes associated with a (slightly) aromatic tobacco. This really is a treasure. Whether a Murray or an Orlick era tin if you like straight VA with a light casing then give this one a try. Simply delightful, and, like a previous reviewer noted, a wonderful outdoor tobacco.

Smoked in a medium sized Peterson 150 Harp.

Enjoy.
Reviewed By Date Rating Strength Flavoring Taste Room Note
Aug 25, 2006 Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
**UPDATE** AUGUST 2006.

What in the bloody hell has happened to Dunhill-Royal Yacht??? The superb taste and the great quality has "TOTALLY DISAPPEARED"

Murrays produced "PERFECTION" with this blend for Dunhill.

**Orlik** "HAS TOTALLY KILLED OFF ALL THE QUALITY AND TASTE"!!! MURRAYS VERSION FOR DUNHILL "WAS WELL WORTH 10 STARS"

ORLIKS VERSION "NOW GETS MINUS 10 STARS FROM ME" (It's not only bloody dreadful,but it's now pitiful) Infact,I'm angry 🙁

Royal Yaht. June 2004.

First of all,many thank's to Captain Dan,for posting a tin of R/Y to Australia for me. I love and enjoy good quality virginia's without casing's. Royal Yacht contain's splendid virginias's. The flavour which is added is thoroughly delicious,and of very high quality. I believe,aged tins would only enhance and improve this blend. I opened my fresh tin and fluffed the tobacco up and let it air for 12 hour's. R/Y is easy to light and if smoked slowly,all the flavour's come to the fore. Highly enjoyable,and easily smoked,to the bottom of the bowl.Leaving a nice clean grey-white ash,without goop. I have no complaint's what so-ever with my fresh tin. I'm definitely ordering more tin's immediately,to age and smoke.

I'm a lady pipe smoker,and I certainly did not find this to strong,for me.

Pipestud,thankyou,for telling me about (The Nectar of the God's) Highly recommened. 10 out of 10.
Mar 30, 2006 Very Strong Medium Very Full Tolerable
UPDATE 3-30-06: I decided to open a tin of the newer version just to find out if it has changed. It has. The appearance of the tobacco is very similar to the Murray version, but the new manufacturer has not gone to the trouble of duplicating the unique top dressing of the original. The mouth feel of the smoke is similar, and I think it has similar strength compared to the old RY. The tin aroma has been replaced with the German chocolate essence found in many K&K blends. The taste of the smoke is not bad; it is just not Royal Yacht. And the smoking experience is very, very close. I will probably start smoking this newer version of RY in my regular rotation and save my stash of the older version for annual trips down memory lane. Paddy
I imagine that once upon a time, a group of executives sat around a polished table in the Dunhill Board Room and decided to go after the English dark twist, rope, flake and plug market, so enjoyed by the British working class. The blend would necessarily be something with a powerful nicotine content and a strong, tobacco essence similar to, say, SG Brown Rope, a blend that would appeal to those who liked a tobacco that could be either chewed or smoked. However, it would have to be uniquely Dunhill, and therefore, much more elegant. It was decided to combine a bitterly strong tobacco, already sliced and diced, with a soupcon of a milder brown and top it off with a mysterious sweetener. And so Royal Yacht was created. About the only thing wrong in the creative process was the marketing department's choice of a name. I cannot imagine this tobacco appealing to the swells aboard Her or His Majesty's pleasure craft, but then the Royals have been known to engage in other, more peculiar pleasures. It would probably have been more accurate to call this tobacco Peon's Pleasure, Miner's Delight or Old Tar's Treat. In any case, they did a fine job. Smoked fresh, it is quite sweet with the darker flavors and strength skillfully submerged, a Sunday goody for the black plug smoker. Left to age and dry, it reveals all its power and strong tobacco flavor, quite similar to G&H Dark Flake, but yet quintessentially Dunhill. Either way a truly satisfying smoke. This has been an old favorite of mine for a good many years, not to be smoked every day. And it will bring your EKG reading up to slightly above where it belongs. Highly recommended to those who enjoy lightly sweetened, strong English tobacco. Paddy.
Jan 29, 2006 Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant
Update 1-29-06

I just tried the new Orlick version of this once noble blend. The rich full Va flavor is no more. I found the quality of the leaf to be second-rate, at best. The topping is different too.

As many have noted, this blend has gotten a lot of press on the various message groups. Well, I believe the new blenders have found a way to put a stop to that. There's not much to talk about any more. As much as they have altered the blend, they shouldn't be allowed to put it in the familiar red and yellow tin.

My recommendation has been changed accordingly.

Sadly, Orlick has scuttled the Yacht.

I bought a tin of Royal Yacht on a whim. I had to see what all the fuss was about. While this blend has its proponents, it also has its share of detractors. At least in the message board circles in which I travel, both sides are quite vocal, and ?adamant? is an understatement.

When I first opened the tin, I was greeted with a sweet, almost fruity aroma. I found it quite pleasant. The moisture content seemed a bit high, so I let it air out for a while, as I had been advised to do. Later, there was a sweet, natural scent not unlike a freshly mown field.

For the first outing, I only loaded up a half a bowl. To be honest, I expected it to be horrible. To my delight and surprise, this was far from true. I grabbed another pipe, one with a nice big bowl, and loaded it up.

Royal Yacht, is a Virginia blend with a very pleasant casing. The rich Virginias don?t hide behind this ?secret? topping at all. The two complement each other in a very satisfying way. The flavor is much more than I could have hoped for. The casing/tobacco blend is present throughout most of the smoke, but in a way that isn?t at all cloying. Toward the bottom of the bowl the casing has run its course, and the Virginia leaf takes you to the end.

A very cool smoke. This was another happy discovery. The Yacht never tried to bite at all. Being all Virginia AND with a casing, I expected to need a fire extinguisher for my tongue. But this is by far the smoothest all-Virginia tobacco I have ever smoked.

Those who are prone to getting clobbered by nicotine should proceed with extreme caution. I have smoked a few ?heavy hitters? and I have never felt the slightest bit of nicotine. Royal Yacht is the first one that got my attention. It packs a punch. For those without a high tolerance for nicotine, it could well be a knockout punch. Try it in a small bowl first if you think this could be a problem for you.

Wherever you decide to go on the Yacht, you can be assured of smooth sailing.
Sep 08, 2002 Strong Extremely Mild Very Full Pleasant
OK, I'll tell you right up front that the tin I'm smoking from is around thirty years old. I've tried the newer version and I agree that the topping they use is a bit offensive and when combined with the strength of the tobaccos it can be very overwhelming unless you smoke VERY slowly. However. . .

This tin smells of figs and raisins and the other warm, rich things you expect of a well-aged, matured Virginia tobacco. The flavor is deep and rich, like a Christmas dessert, and has subtle hints of hazelnuts and chocolate along with some spicy elements. It's sweet but in a low-end sort of way, not lemony and bright. The nicotine strength is there in spades, but when smoked slowly it provides a wonderful cornucopia of flavors that makes me wonder why the heck they decided to case the new version so heavily.

Wonderful stuff, and I may even cry a little once this tin is gone 😉
CKC
Mar 19, 2023 Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant
A favorite for sure. While I switch some blend choices up seasonally I’ll smoke RY all year long. A favorite morning smoke because I love the plum flavor and sweet Virginia. No better ride to work with a coffee smoke IMO
Pipe Used: Any and all
PurchasedFrom: SP
Mar 13, 2023 Very Strong Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable
When I first started pipe smoking in 1979 the first tins I ever bought were part of a Dunhill sampler gift set of four small 50 gram tins. Of these, Royal Yacht was my favorite, and I continued to smoke it over the next couple decades until one by one all the local tobacconist disappeared. I didn’t discover online order until 2015, and when I did Royal Yacht was one of the first things I ordered. Unfortunately it was now being made by a different producer and just didn’t taste at all like I remembered it. I think the Dunhill version used more golden Virginia, this version more dark Virginia, and this has different and much less flavoring. I don’t get the same creamy amaretto and fresh-baked bread taste of the Dunhill version, or the Tonka note of the Murray version. As for the plum, it is very slight, and more Lamoon plum than Damson or Santa Rosa plum. Despite my disappointment which puts this at two stars, I’m judging it on its own merits and giving it three stars.

Tin note is rather understated which seems to indicate minimal flavoring (dried hay, faint whiff of dried flowers). Flavorwise I get a pretty basic toasty oatbread Virginia profile with a very faint suggestion of honey sweetener. I don’t get any tart or grassy tastes and it burns cool and steady. There are other lightly-cased/topped Virginias I like better (Ashton Gold, for example), but I have one more tin of this I’m going to pop when it turns ten, so we’ll see what aging does for it.

Having smoked a pipe since 1979 I was surprised that I had my first ever encounter with nicotine sickness. But I did something stupid: I had a bowl of this while having a nature hike on a summer day of 86 degrees. Probably a combination of nicotine and heat stress. Okay, I learned my lesson on that one! Approached in cooler weather, on a full stomach, and keeping hydrated, I’ve had no issues with subsequent bowls!
Nov 22, 2022 Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
A reliable, enjoyable, smoke. It is on my shortlist of tobaccos to use for a 'first bowl' in a new (or new to me) pipe. Why this one? Beside the fact I like it, to my taste, it is a mellow, well-rounded blend without distinct strong flavors or 'spice.' Perfect for experiencing a new pipe... I have tins aging and will continue to store two more away every time I finish one. Re my 'taste,' I am pretty broad-based, loving smooth Scottish blends, strong and spicy English, and Balkan Lat-bombs (oh yeah!). And, yes even some burleys and Burley/Virginia blends... They all have their time and place.
Age When Smoked: open tin, current Peterson label production
Jul 11, 2022 Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable
This is a difficult one to place in terms of flavour. It is bready, toast-like, but a bit nutty and woody. I notice the plum topping easily. More than anything, it tastes like tobacco. Not like cigarettes or cigars though, it's how I imagined pipe tobacco would taste as a kid. It screams "old-school" toby. Nice cut. Perfect moisture. Consistent burn. Fair amount of nicotine. No bite. Not much harshness. Enjoyable and tastes great. My first bowl was on a beautiful summer day off work. There was a cool breeze and the leaves were flirting shadows across the yard as the trees swayed. I was listening to Reflections in D, watching one of our cats snoozing in the grass, predernaturally turning an ear anytime a squirrel came near. Royal Yacht was the cherry on top of a beautiful moment in life. Cherish these days people, and enjoy a pipe with them. Since the first bowl, this stuff has grown on me with every succeeding puff. I've killed a tin in record time and more is on the way. It didn't blow my socks off right away, but it is a rock solid smoke and has seemingly endless nuance. Enough depth to satiate James Cameron. Royal Yacht has caught me in its talons and I've been reduced to a bland milky paste to satiate the tobacco Goslings. 4 stars.
Pipe Used: Cobs & Stanwells