Peterson The Royal Yacht

(3.00)
Truly a luxurious tobacco. Virginias are carefully conditioned to ensure sweetness. They are added to rich, heavier and cooler Virginias. A unique flavor is added to the final blend to enhance the subtle and piquant aroma.
Notes: Pure shade grown Virginias, very soft smoking, particularly recommended in cases of delicate throat. -1917 Lemon and bronze Virginia leaves are carefully conditioned and are added to rich heavy body Virginias, a unique flavour is added to the final blend. -1985 Formerly known as a Dunhill blend, it now sports the Peterson brand.

Details

Packaging 50 grams tin
Country Denmark
Production Currently available

Profile

Strength
Strong

Extremely Mild -> Overwhelming

None Detected -> Extra Strong

Unnoticeable -> Overwhelming
Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.00 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 71 - 80 of 438 Reviews
Dec 18, 2020 Strong Very Mild Medium Pleasant
Dunhill is the brand that made me a confirmed pipe smoker. My dad was mainly an aromatic smoker, only smoking occasionally. I had loved the smell growing up and was determined to be a pipe smoker when I was old enough. Shock and horror- dad's preferred blends were horrible. The local b&m selections were all aromatics and nothing grabbed me. Then one day I decided to spring on a tin of Nightcap (back in the days when $5 for an ounce and a half was an expenditure).

That was it. I was hooked. Nightcap, Early Morning, 965, etc- I smoked several bowls a day, switching up between tins. Royal Yacht was the only Dunhill brand that didn't catch my attention.

After a while I became a cigarette smoker. Long story short: minimum wage jobs, 5 minute breaks, not enough time to enjoy a pipe, your friends smoke cigs, you grab a cig, nicotine addiction becomes the main draw. Still loved pipe smoking though. Every time I would break free from the convenience of cigarettes and relax with a pipe, the Dunhill brands were my go to. When Dunhill was unavailable in the late 2000's I even took to blending my own, always trying to recapture that Nightcap or 965 flavor. But the drought only lasted a few years and soon those staples returned.

Royal Yacht was always something I would pick up every now and then, but always failed to wow me.

When I recently quit cigs and switched back, I had a few tins of 965 and Nightcap sitting around. Dunhill was once again out of circulation, but Peterson was in line. But- apparently these days people object to the lingering smell of Latakia scented tobacco and my boss asked me to find tobacco that had a weaker room note. Forced to adapt, I found other tobaccos- more Virginia oriented than Latakia.

This journey led me to VA/Pers and even blends that had the burley I once associated with bad aromatic blends. My taste buds have adapted.

And this week, for the first time since Dunhill became Peterson, my local b&m had a tin of Royal Yacht. "Now that I've been cured of my 20 year Latakia snobbery," I thought to myself, "is this blend any good?" I purchased it and have now had a few bowls.

The verdict: it is an altogether pleasant blend. Not high praise, but I enjoy it much more now than I have in the past. I still hate aromatics, but the casing on this is so light as to not be noticeable- there's a stronger flavor from 965's Cavendish than the plum flavoring added to this. The taste of the Virginia is clear- grassy notes fade to a more citrus flavor as bowl progresses and the tobacco selected is top notch. As for strength- it doesn't taste strong like a Lat bomb and if you're a former cigarette smoker like me the nicotine level is nothing, but if you have only smoked pipes and/ or cigars you might want to have a seat while enjoying a bowl of this.

This is a decent smoke. If you have a good nicotine tolerance, this would be an all day smoke if tin tobaccos fit your all day smoke budget. It doesn't replace Three Friars as my current pouch tobacco, but it has definitely gone from a once in a few years "I can't remember if I like this" smoke to a regular "get this when I run out" smoke.

Pipe Used: Peterson LE '98, Peterson Ebony Billiard
PurchasedFrom: Stag Tobacco
Jul 31, 2020 Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant
Wow, this is good. At first I thought this had perique in it due to the "raisiny" tin note, but upon further analysis that appears to simply be the plum flavoring. As a fan of virginias and aromatics, this hits the sweet spot, and it hits it hard, not to mention the little nic-hit it gives you starting a third of a bowl through. Hits the nail on the head right between 3 and 4 stars.
Feb 06, 2020 Very Strong Mild Full Tolerable
Not a full on review, but my take on this powerhouse blend. It is erring on the side of sheer overkill. It smells great in the tin. First light is ok with the usual Virginia notes and the plum topping evident. As you progress further it becomes obvious that this tobacco is like the call of the Siren, gently luring those in its thrall to certain doom. It has an unusual ammount of nicotine for a straight Virginia and it creeps up on you, whilst you blissfully enjoy the flavour. I am not a nicotine lightweight, yet I feel that smoking it with a gentle cadence is all that is keeping me clear of the heebie jeebies by a mere knife edge. It is most definitely not an all day smoke, unless you are a very hardened nic space cadet. I would think twice about buying this blend again on the grounds that it doesn't fit my normal flavour profile, and I am more into the concept of the all day smoke. Curiosity satisfied, I move on, and will use this tin for occasional "night cap" smokes.

Update:-

I wanted a quick smoke and hadn't the time to rub out and air some flake, and the tin was sat there daring me to give it a go. Upshot of this is that I did indeed give it a go in a small bowl on an empty stomach ! I did not turn green or suffer undue nicotine side effects and it was actually a pleasant short smoke. It seems that this is its role as a "quick smoke" and I can see it being useful in that respect. Thusly I have awarded it an extra star and would perhaps buy more to fulfil that purpose. I have flakes for the long contemplative smoke, but sometimes instant gratification is the order of the day.
Pipe Used: Falcon and Jambo reject Meerschaum
PurchasedFrom: My Smoking Shop
Mar 20, 2017 Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
Perfect moisture level right out of the tin. I've smoked it in cobs, clays and briars. It's great in a cob....better in a briar, but it really shines in a dedicated briar. Yes, I like Royal Yacht enough that I have a pipe dedicated to it. The tobacco flavor is rich and full. The aromatic flavors I get are raisins, figs, and dates. The topping is easy to pick up, but not overpowering or cloying at all. Just the right amount. Subtle sweetness, but I wouldn't call it a sweet blend. Great body, mouthfeel and smoke volume, and burns great for me.
Pipe Used: Sasieni 4 dot
Aug 21, 2016 Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant
If there is ever an apocalyptic event and I need to stash on one or two tobacco blends.. I'd go like crazy for Royal Yacht..It is grand in every aspect.. from the very welcoming tin aroma.. to the lighting flavour and the after taste.. slow burning a... nd mellow with a rich aroma and flavour.. Decent nicotine content. Overall an excellent experience.
Pipe Used: Peterson System Ebony XL315, Peterson Dracula 999
PurchasedFrom: Local B&M
Age When Smoked: 2 years old
Jun 08, 2016 Very Strong Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable
(Note, this is the "new" 2016 version. I've not sampled earlier offerings.) Being somewhat impulsive lately, I bought this blend thinking that an aromatic Dunhill offering would be interesting. Coming back to read the reviews more carefully, I realize that this blend isn't exactly what I'd imagined.

On first opening the tin, the tin aroma is bizarre. I couldn't begin to describe what it smelled like. It didn't smell "like" anything I could describe, nor was I sure if I liked or disliked it. A complete mystery to me. After breathing for a day, however, the tin aroma seems to have settled into something faintly resembling malt whiskey and light chocolate, or something in between. However, this aroma is very ghostly, only very faintly survives burning, and is only very faintly detectable in the room note.

The predominant note of this tobacco is just that - tobacco. I wouldn't say this is quite a matured virginia, since it is quite on the "green" side. In fact, I would venture to say that it's for this reason that so many people report unfavorable opinions of the room note from bystanders. If you don't like pure, unflavored, green tobacco, you won't like this room note. I wouldn't describe this blend as sweet by any means. It leaves the mouth quite dry, and leaves the scent of cigarette/rolling tobacco on the fingers (it's good - I keep smelling my fingers). The moisture was perfect on opening the tin, the blend lit perfectly and stayed lit well.

Since I hadn't read the review, I didn't realize how strong this blend is in terms of nicotine content. I promptly loaded a size 4 billiard and was taken aback. In my opinion this blend is best in slightly smaller, chimney billiards like those I use for my favorite virginias. Larger, wider bowls just burn too hotly, don't concentrate the flavors enough, and make the nicotine overwhelming. I think this might be why some reviewers find the blend rather dimensionless, but I believe the shape of the pipe ought to be adjusted to the blend accordingly.

I believe I've figured this blend out. This stuff is remarkably similar to Captain Earle's virginia component. Very strong and grassy. Reminded me of Honor Blend without the condimental tobaccos. I like Captain Earle's, so I am slowly warming up to Royal Yacht, but it isn't something I would smoke regularly. Only while sitting, puffing very slowly, and preferentially indoors where the subtleties of the blend are best appreciated without being carried off by the wind.
Pipe Used: billiards size 4 and below
PurchasedFrom: pipesandcigars.com
Jul 02, 2015 Very Strong Medium Full Tolerable to Strong
Back in my pipe smoking heyday, in the eighties, there were many fellow pipe smokers around who were outright advocates of this blend. I never tried Royal Yacht back in the day, but now, at long last, I can say I've tried it.

I can see what everyone was clamoring about then, this is truly a unique blend; an old school tobacco of great refinement, full of flavor, and, unfortunately, like just about all the other Dunhill blends I've tried over the years, very full and strong (my head was swimming with nicotine). I absolutely loved the snork on this one, very flavorful; a 4 star snorker, to be sure, but, I didn't particularly enjoy the rank taste that developed in my mouth—for me, this blend smoked very wet and the awful tasting backwash somewhat ruined the overall experience.

Today, I seek blends that are less heady. Royal Yacht, as unique as it is, doesn't fulfill this bill. I like to be comfortable when I smoke, and, as much as I like the snork, this blend is way to strong for me. If only I could figure a way to reduce the nicotine level, I'd give Royal Yacht the highest of marks.

Dunhill blends are always skilfully blended, but, I think the pipe smoking world is beginning to pass them by. If you like a FULL blend, packed with nicotine, don't pass on this one. Everyone should try this smoke at least once; I'm glad I did. I'll give it a strong two stars (no pun intended).

Keep on Piping!
Jan 16, 2014 Strong Mild Full Tolerable
This is a strong, full blend (at least for me).

The aroma in the tin is sweet and reminds me of well fermented long cut chewing tobacco with a hint of raisin.

The room note was tolerable (but not preferred) by bystanders. I find the taste to be mostly a sweet, strong tobacco flavor. This is not a bad thing, as long as you are looking for this.

This tobacco burns very well and creates mountains of dense smoke, even smoked slowly, which I like.

A decent blend, but not recommended for beginners or those who, say, could not take down a medium/full power cigar.

Edit: After aging a month, I tried this again to see if it was any better. It was not. If fact, I noticed how really one dimensional it is. This could be a good tobacco to blend with some other tobacco to add a little more body, but life is too short to smoke this by itself.
Pipe Used: MM Country Gent
PurchasedFrom: smokingpipes.com
Age When Smoked: new, 1 month
Aug 15, 2013 Strong Mild to Medium Full Pleasant
This is a strongish Virginia blend with a rich and full-bodied flavour that in my experience lasts all the way down the bowl. There is a casing, but I've no idea what it is. The domestic critics don't mind the room-note, though, which is a definite point in its favour. The ribbon-cut is easy to pack, but I find that it does need quite a few relights if you smoke it straight out of the tin. A little drying, though not too much, is a good idea. Pure quality, as you would expect of a Dunhill blend; and I don't notice that it has changed much in its several incarnations. I do find, though, that a bowl of it doesn't last as long as I would like. It has to be said also that it gets very hot rather easily: this is a tobacco that needs to be taken slowly (and not allowed to get too dry). Not an all day, every day smoke then, but one to be savoured of an evening in a comfortable chair. Not quite four stars in my opinion, but an easy three.

Royal Yacht was apparently one of Georges Simenon's favourites, and he was a REAL pipe smoker!

Aug 15, 2012 Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable to Strong
This is my first review, so i thought it fitting to begin with my absolute favorite blend. i am a huge fan of dunhill on the whole, but this blend takes my love of latakia and makes it a distant memory. the second i wake up i look forward to the moment i light my first pipe, which almost always is filled to the brim with royal yacht. i skipped pipes for years and stuck with cigars because i did not know there were pipe blends with significant body. Royal Yacht fits the bill of significant body, and has great flavor. i have never gotten tongue bite and it stays at the perfect moisture from the first bowl to the last shreds in the tin. i will admit i go through a tin quite fast, so that opinion may not have been tested. i have several peterson systems that i reserve for those blends that tend to give me a bit of bite. although my systems are some of my most coveted pipes, i have yet to dedicate one to my favorite blend. i don't always have time to smoke an entire pipe in the morning and on those occasions i usually use a less expensive pipe so i can take it on the go with little worry. i have smoked royal yacht out of deep skinny bowls and short wide bowls, bent and straight, short and long, etc. Even with all the variety of brand and style and quality of pipes i have tried, the result has always been the exact same smoke. it has a unique, consistant flavor that is half what you would expect out of a virginia and half what you would not expect at all. its slightly sweet with still plenty of natural tobacco flavor and of course the strength i need. someday i will acquire my first dunhill pipe and use this to break it in no matter what plans i have for this pipe of my dreams. this blend is a great way to build up a cake IMO. it has yet to taint whatever i want to dedicate my pipe to and it builds a nice even cake quickly. if there is a downside and i do mean IF....... my wife is not a fan of the smell

target="_blank"