Peterson The Royal Yacht

(3.00)
Truly a luxurious tobacco. Virginias are carefully conditioned to ensure sweetness. They are added to rich, heavier and cooler Virginias. A unique flavor is added to the final blend to enhance the subtle and piquant aroma.
Notes: Pure shade grown Virginias, very soft smoking, particularly recommended in cases of delicate throat. -1917 Lemon and bronze Virginia leaves are carefully conditioned and are added to rich heavy body Virginias, a unique flavour is added to the final blend. -1985 Formerly known as a Dunhill blend, it now sports the Peterson brand.

Details

Packaging 50 grams tin
Country Denmark
Production Currently available

Profile

Strength
Strong

Extremely Mild -> Overwhelming

None Detected -> Extra Strong

Unnoticeable -> Overwhelming
Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.00 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 61 - 70 of 438 Reviews
May 22, 2015 Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable
The tin of Royal Yacht that I smoked for this review was my first sample of the RY from STG, and my only disappointment was that I’d put off trying it for so long. I do detect some differences from the various Murrays, but IMO the latest Royal Yacht honors the marque and retains “Classic” status.

Popping the tin, all is pretty much as ever, except the tin note is perhaps more melded now, with the prominent plum topping jumping right out ahead of the full-yet-mellow, aged and partly ferment VAs, along with figs, cocoa, and forest floor. I think that part of the figgy smell (and part of the musty smell) could be Perique, and I’ll get to that, anon. Short ribbons range from a smattering of gold to myriad browns, to almost black, reflecting both leaf selection and the range of treatments the various VAs have been subjected to, from flue to air cured, to stoved and fire cured. Moisture is just a little much initially, but once the tin has been opened it doesn’t take long for RY to become a stuff-and-smoke delight. One char, then you’re off, and it burns down fast with minimal attention. Because it burns so well, one need not pull hard to keep it going, and I recommend a light pack and an easy draw, at least at first. It starts out mellow, and the topping does just what you’d want it to do, along with sweet and savory, grassy, lighter VAs. By ¼ it’s getting spicy, and the richer red VAs kick in, building the body of the smoke. By mid bowl, the earthy stoved and fired VAs are well up, and the spices are rather more than I’d expect from VAs alone, and there is musty/sour along with the sweet, and I keep thinking, Perique, and/or maybe Izmir. By now the celebrated strength of RY is apparent, and you’re smoking a serious, full, tobacco-rich blend that mellows somewhat as it deepens, to the end. The smoke itself is thick and creamy, fragrant and also spicy, in accord with the tastes, and I get Perique here, too, lots of real tobacco tastes and aromas. Strength is strong. Tastes are full. Room note is pleasant, particularly so if considering Perique. Aftertaste is aftermath/best of the smoke, and I find the whole experience very tasty, relaxing, and quite satisfying.

Fruity topping notwithstanding, Dunhill’s Royal Yacht is not aimed at beginners, and straight VA smokers may get slammed by it’s potency. This said, I highly recommend Royal Yacht to experienced VA/Per and KY lovers. YMMV, but IMO, this version is best fairly soon after it's opened, as it tends to flatten a little if it's left in a jar for long.
Pipe Used: various briars
PurchasedFrom: Liberty Tobacco
Age When Smoked: STG, fresh to 1 year
Reviewed By Date Rating Strength Flavoring Taste Room Note
Mar 23, 2014 Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
I hadn't realised it's been over 3 years ago since my last review..How time flies!

I purchased a fresh tin today from JJ Fox London, and bagged one of their own house pipes too (straight billiard).

This is a lovely rich full tobacco, and my my my, Nicotine delight too! My palate has matured and this is a easy smoke. But, take it long and gentle...If you puff like a chimney it will whip you. Take it easy, muse on its varied taste between straight VA and a deeper coffee taste...It's a full tobacco and suggest, like many other users have, to compliment it with an after dinner meal. It's a great evening smoke. I like to smoke slowly and it's the best way with this. You need time, chill and make sure your sitting down! It's a luxurious smoke, and great for relaxing and contemplating. I would not smoke this through the day though. I see it as a dessert, or more like a tobacco equivalent of a full pudding! I recommend this to folk who want something rich, luxurious and...full on. The reviews are splendid here so recommend a good browse. Best stored in a sealed jar to keep it fresh. Room note seems accepted from non-smokers, but good for on the porch watching the world go by. Lovely!

Original review 2014-03-23

Like many reviewers have said, this is a fine tobacco. I would advise it's for the evening with a Cognac. The tobacco hit is very strong for me. But the flavour is wonderful. Very enjoyable from a great name. I have this when I need a relaxing lift and is a stand by for when I'm in the right kind of mood.

Please forgive me when I say this is for the experienced pipe smoker. So take it easy!
Pipe Used: Dr Plumb
PurchasedFrom: Canterbury tobacconist.
Age When Smoked: 45
Feb 08, 2014 Strong Mild to Medium Full Tolerable
An old, yet great mixture. I only sampled the Orlik version and it is a perfect bed time smoke. Strong in nicotine and less sweet, but full of flavor and produces thick pillows of smoke. Airing out is a must, but then it satisfies to great extent. Can bite, but is generally well behaved. Smoke it in a Dunhill to get the full Dunhill experience.
Aug 04, 2009 Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable to Strong
Royal Yacht was on my daily smokes in the late 90s and early 00s. My preferences are now inclined to milder blends. However I am still consuming this fine classic occasionaly.

There is a difference between the old Murray's and the new EU version. The older tins, if I am remembering well, were a bit stronger. Anyway, this is a top choice classic, and must have.
Jul 30, 2003 Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable
The first tin, I enjoyed. I bought another and it was too much.

The flavor is enjoyable, but one can get tired of it. The strength can surprise you if you puff too hard.

This seems to be loved or hated - I've felt both ways. So, perhaps one should try it to see...
Jan 18, 2003 Strong Mild Full Tolerable to Strong
I first tried this blend somewhere in the late Eighties. I must say I did not understand it. This was as close to a straight Virginia as I had ever come, and found the experience daunting (Dunhill's own Light Flake would entirely change this perception more or less at the same time). I did not mind the taste or aroma of RY as such, but the structure of the blend was just too enervating. Not even my first encounter with My Mixture 965 produced such giddiness!. As it happens, time and experience modify our perspective on a given tobacco. I smoked it again many years later and found it intriguing and interesting, but not to the extent of making it a regular smoke.

This Virginia is dense and strong. I believe the intention of the added aroma is to lessen the effects of the rather potent leaf if left in its natural state. The smoke is a cool one and the cut is probably intended for outdoor use. IMO there are many other Virginias out there, some of them as strong as RY but less pungent, that are more amiable and palatable than this Dunhill. Then again it must have something, for I know a number of pipe smokers who thoroughly enjoy Royal Yacht . A strong Virginia with a sweetened twist?. For the brave of heart!
Sep 24, 2022 Strong Mild Medium Pleasant
I have heard so much about this I decided to try it. Being a huge English, Lat Bomb smoker I had found some nice Virginias that I liked but looking for a stronger version.

Upon opening this Tin I found it perfect for smoking, no drying time needed. The tin note was of rich tobacco, with a soft light rum with a touch of Vanilla, some plum, a light grass and freshly baked bread. The aromas did not crowd out the rich tobacco however. I recognized this for I have a estate White Briar Kaywoodie Bulldog that has this note in it’s bowl. That is what I decided to smoke RY in.

A nice long ribbon cut, it packed nicely and lit easily. Had to relight a couple of times to finish up, but that is normal for me. The tobacco seems to burn steadily into a white as. No moisture. My wife loved the aroma. This throws a thick, rich, creamy smoke even at a slow pace. The nic hit was medium.

Upon lighting I tasted a rich tobacco flavor that stayed steadily in front but had a brief appearance of very light rum with a touch of vanilla. This was followed by plum. Not a plum like flavor, but a true plum flavor that stayed there and was joined by a pleasant fresh baked bread flavor that briefly gave way to a sweet grassy flavor followed by a delightful honey flavor. All through the bowl the flavors stayed consistent. Very delightful, very pleasing and when done I felt very satisfied and for a lack of a better word full. This is smooth, rich, creamy and strong, but not overpowering.

I tried pushing it in a couple of bowls and it never bit, but I found it is not a Tobacco to be rushed. I got a harsh note out of it that was bitter while pushing it. I have found through the years each Tobacco has its own pace that it gives its best flavor at. This is meant for a slow smoke, a nice relaxed pace with no hurrying. I’ve seen the reviews talking about how harsh it is, calling it Royal yuck. Well, slow down, take your time, quit puffing like a locomotive. Once I quit pushing it RY went back to the consistent burn and flavor. Take it slow. Try the breath method taught by muttonchop piper for it really helps in keeping the smoke slow and takes care of a lot of tongue burn for others.

This is one of the finer quality tobaccos I have found. Instead of burying the tobacco flavor behind the various flavors, the tobacco is up front and center. The various flavors enhance but do not take central stage from the rich tobacco flavor.

This is now in my main rotation with Nightcap, Quiet Nights, Star of the East, Campfire, Pirate Kake, D&R Acadian Bright Virginia and SWR.

The only drawback I found to this tobacco is it probably not an all day tobacco for once smoked I feel very content and don’t need another bowl. This gets a 5 star rating out of a possible 4 stars. A great tobacco that has been on the market for over a hundred years and with good reason. Just don’t rush it and you will enjoy it.
Pipe Used: Kaywoodie White Briar Bulldog
PurchasedFrom: WV Tobacco
Aug 18, 2022 Strong Medium to Strong Full Tolerable
What a full on flavour gorgeous smoke this is! A firm favourite in my rotation (and by the looks of all the other reviewers this is quite popular!). I used to smoke under the "Dunhill" label, but thank goodness Peterson's have retained the original blend of this tobacco. Everyone goes on and on about the high nicotine content, some of it quite suprising in the effects which I think people enjoy waxing lyrical about! However, personally pipe smoking is all about savouring the taste and aroma first for me. Smoking this is a fine time with creamy orange taste sweetened by the virginian leaf. The taste is deep, full and nicely strong. Great for an evening with a coffee or a cognac to hand on the porch. You do sail away with this, so the Royal Yacht label is apt. Later in the smoke a slight tongue tingle like a pepper takes place, and it is not tongue burn but the tobacco giving me that nice orange zeal. Some say this is an all day smoke. IMHO I think it is more of an evening smoke, sitting down and watching the world go by type, so I wouldn't class this as an all day turn for me. The nicotine is strong. I would say if you're an experienced pipe smoker it's totally fine; probably not one for a newbie pipe smoker. The tobacco is crumbly flake and fine for packing your pipe to the rafters! This is for me a grand smoke indeed. Only towards the end do you notice the delights of the slight nicotine impact. Oh, I think I fill my pipe again here! Highly recommended my friends.
Pipe Used: Peterson's 999 Army.
PurchasedFrom: Canterbury, Kent tobacconist
Age When Smoked: Our of tin
Jul 16, 2022 Strong Mild Full Tolerable
This is serious stuff man! This is very unique great tobacco … (just first bowl, so I may come back with any update or revision). Smoked in a very small bowl of a tiny non-filter taiwan origin pipe (one of my favorites, with good cake developed inside). In opening the tin, it did give me the impression of a similar type (within the same broader group in terms of texture, flavor, moist etc) as Davidoff royalty, mix.965, early morning pipe, I say this is on the non-aromatic good quality tobaccos. When starting the bowl, I realise this might be the strongest one i have smoked (which is also good news), but it does give something light tasty experience, so that i could finally put this tobacco between the group of Davidoff royalty, early morning pipe (etc) and that of more sweet tobaccos such as amphora black cavendish, amphora original, captain black gold (etc). The smoke was of around a quarter, but again the bowl size was small, thus i anticipate it smokes smoothly (not too fast, but in a similar manner as early morning pipe to give the perspective). During the very first puffs, it did tend to give a very gentle-light tongue bite (that left good experience by the way) but very soon such a thing disappeared and was smoked in this sense very similar to early morning pipe. Little more spicy than early morning pipe, but a few grades less spicy compared with mix.965. Excitement? Absolutely. The very first thing i have in mind after finishing the bowl, is to go as soon as possible and get 2-3 tins to keep them for the cellar and absolutely this first tin is gonna finish soon i anticipate. Extra comment: if you were before in the bad habit of cigarette and you are a full pipe smoker, this tobacco is probable to be on your top 2-3 tobaccos. If you are new pipe smoker and have nothing to do with cigarette smoke before, I don’t think this could be the very best choice (i.e., a Davidoff royalty is better option in this case, or early morning pipe as these are less strong tobaccos). Huge experience this first bowl with the royal yacht - satisfaction from 1-10 (10 the best): i could give 11. The tin was bought 2 weeks back - i speculate this tobacco tin might be quite old, i.e., a decent number of years old (based on the shop i got it and some other information I have …)
Jul 06, 2022 Medium Medium Medium Pleasant
Last Saturday, I met with a few friends of mine, yes hard to believe I have a few and the VP brought in Royal Yacht as I have never tried it but heard about it over the years. It seems to be a love it or hate it blend. This tin was under the Dunhill label and he bought it March of 2018. I have always been amazed at how tight the ribbons of tobacco are in a Dunhill tin. It makes you feel like you are getting your money’s worth. This has a pleasant sweet tin note of what they say is a plum topping. I had probably about 4-5 bowls of this over the past few days and it is a good aromatic. Sort of reminds me of Peterson’s University Flake with the plum topping. Apparently from some reviews this is said to have a nicotine punch but I did not notice anything out of the ordinary. With 417 reviews this is definitely a classic. Good but not one I would stock up on at this time. It was nice to try this and I appreciate him opening up a 4-year-old tin of this for me.

target="_blank"