Peterson The Royal Yacht

(3.00)
Truly a luxurious tobacco. Virginias are carefully conditioned to ensure sweetness. They are added to rich, heavier and cooler Virginias. A unique flavor is added to the final blend to enhance the subtle and piquant aroma.
Notes: Pure shade grown Virginias, very soft smoking, particularly recommended in cases of delicate throat. -1917 Lemon and bronze Virginia leaves are carefully conditioned and are added to rich heavy body Virginias, a unique flavour is added to the final blend. -1985 Formerly known as a Dunhill blend, it now sports the Peterson brand.

Details

Packaging 50 grams tin
Country Denmark
Production Currently available

Profile

Strength
Strong

Extremely Mild -> Overwhelming

None Detected -> Extra Strong

Unnoticeable -> Overwhelming
Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.00 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 51 - 60 of 438 Reviews
Apr 26, 2014 Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant
Dunhill Royal Yacht is a pipe tobacco unlike any other. Composed of Virginia, the cut is a small ribbon, almost shag, and the color dark.

Royal Yacht has a distinct flavoring added. I am not sure just what goes in it, but I would suggest that plum, chocolate, and tonquin are all present. Is this a semi-aromatic or a light aromatic? I rate it a light aromatic, although the flavoring does not obscure the tobacco taste by any means.

The room note is OK, and more that of a Virginia rather than an aromatic.

Royal Yacht is almost legendary for its nicotine kick, and some warn that it should not be smoked on an empty stomach. Personally, I am not overly sensitive to nicotine, and I can smoke it on an empty stomach. But those who do not tolerate high nicotine levels should be wary of this tobacco.

This is a somewhat pricey pipe tobacco. somewhat more expensive than most other Dunhills. I enjoy smoking it, although there are a number of Virginias I like better, and almost all of them are cheaper. Nevertheless I give Royal Yacht three stars, and a recommended rating, for it is a most unusual smoke, and it is highly favored by a significant number of pipe smokers. Are you going to be one of that group? You will never know unless you try it.
Mar 21, 2014 Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
Let me be formal and introduce myself my name is Zach, a greenhorn to the world of pipe tobacco. If it weren't for the wonderfully well written reviews here I'd never of started so thanks but enough of that and more of

This Royal Yacht lives up to it's title it features a bold flavor casing of plum that I could taste throughout very pleasant but while I was smoking I'd get a nice earthy dirt like taste with a sweet coffee taste that all went together very well with my lemonade iced tea the icing on the cake for me was that I could still taste the tobacco in this blend and that the nicotine washed over me like a wave-soothing and smooth rich smoke that stayed alight much better than the other blends I have tried and this is fresh out of the can still somewhat moist it will be interesting to see how this tobacco matures- I only filled my pipe half full of this and was glad I did or the nicotine would of been too much for me.

This is my first time trying this (and reviewing) and I think I'll be taking a lot more voyages on the royal yacht
Pipe Used: MO Meerschaum Missouri Pride
PurchasedFrom: Pipes and Cigars (2 for 1 March Dunhill Deal)
Age When Smoked: 21
Feb 18, 2013 Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable
I wasn't too crazy about the taste of this, but I wasn't repulsed by it either. My biggest gripe is the topping which is not terrible, but did not really add anything positive to the smoking experience IMO. What I did enjoy was the nicotine strength that it delivers for a blend composed of only Virginia leaf of such a light color. This is one thing I really enjoy about Dunhill tobaccos. The nic is always spot on to leave you properly sated.

This does not rise to a level of 4 stars for me, but I easily recommend it to anyone who enjoys VAs and would like one with a little more strength. The topping is not overpowering and it tends to dissipate quickly enough to let the VAs come through from beginning to end, so I would not call this a heavy aromatic; so my gripe about the topping does not keep me from enjoying this one.
Jul 09, 2012 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable
I once heard that Dunhill Royal Yacht was an acquired taste.

Little did that person know that I, like Indiana Jones, am an obtainer of rare antiquities. Which Royal Yacht distinguishably is.

The tin aroma is very heavy, piquant as described, much like a box of fresh raisins.

The thin shreds of tobacco vary from dark chocolate to a creamy coffee brown.

It packs beyond effortlessly, lights itself, all you have to do is bring a flame to it and burns incredibly easy.

I think this may truly be a tobacco that every piper should try at least once.

However, I did notice that the strength was slightly lacking, the flavor was pretty bland, and that I may have used the wrong pipe. This to me, seems like something that should be enjoyed in a smaller bowl. I know a lot people favor larger bowls, but this seems like a scotch type tobacco. You won't ever drink a keg of scotch in one sitting, nor would you want to.

This is a delicate tobacco, and at the same time nothing too special. It's almost like comparing Starbucks to Folgers. Now, on that same token, I do drink Folgers every day. I don't drink Starbucks nearly as much as I would like to, but I digress.

This is a high quality tobacco with a flavor profile not all too dissimilar to that of Prince Albert or Carter Hall, just made with higher quality ingredients.

I may edit/update this review once I have tried it in a different pipe at least once more.

10/26/2012 Edit: Upgrading this to four stars. Age and refining tastes yields a great deal of pleasure with this tobacco.
Nov 08, 2022 Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant
My go-to pub tobacco ... I always smoke it sitting in the beer garden as the note is pleasant to all around. As an ex-cigarette smoker, I don't really feel the nic hit everyone is highlighting, but the taste is medium for me, with a lot of sweetness and stone fruit, especially stewed mirabelle plums. There is a topping but this isn't an aromatic. I would like to say that it's an all-day smoke, but unfortunately for me, it isn't. You cannot rush it ... take your time, have a pint, and have a good conversation.

I love it. It's tobacco with a purpose. It makes us slow down and enjoy the moment.
Pipe Used: Peterson 107
PurchasedFrom: Danish Pipe Shop
Age When Smoked: 1 year
Jun 24, 2022 Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant
An excellent blend which really displays the power of Virginia blends with the addition of a light yet significant topping. A rich dark fruit aroma underpinned by the scent of quality tobacco out of the tin which packs perfectly with little prep other than maybe rubbing out a few strands.

The dark fruit flavour plays a background role as the woody Virginias take the lead with all the complexity you would expect while sipping. Consistent throughout the smoke and with no tongue bite this is a great all day blend as long as you don't enjoy on an empty stomach as there is a pretty strong vit N hit noticeable from the charring light which as an ex cigarette smoker hits the spot in a way few other blends do. Perfect with a coffee in the morning or after a good meal this is a must have to those venturing into Virginia blends or those who already enjoy them.
Pipe Used: Peterson 306, Corncob, Falcon
PurchasedFrom: GQ Tobaccos
Age When Smoked: New and Jarred for months
Jul 04, 2020 Medium Very Mild Full Pleasant
One of the best tobaccos there is. It’s rich in flavour and mellow in strength. It’s an everyday, all day tobacco which leaves you wanting more, but also completely satisfies your pipe and tobacco craving each bowl.

There are some strange reviews about this tobacco. It shouldn’t really be considered an aromatic. It will be enjoyed by those who like a straight Virginia with a well rounded mellow taste. Most straight virginias lack much flavour but this does have a rich smooth creamy mellow flavour, which soothes the mouth. More flavour than other Virginia blends which I’ve tried.

It’s ready to smoke straight out of the tin. I usually open the tin, put the tobacco in a jar and leave the lid off for an hour. Then close the lid. Next day I start smoking it. Having said that, the last time I had it, I opened it and smoked it right away. In fact I never jarred it, just kept it from the tin and smoked it. It’s just kind to you at all times.

It’s very tolerant of your smoking style and uncomplicated. Equally good through a churchwarden meerschaum or a petite bowl briar with short stem. It works in any pipe.

Very soothing on the mouth and tongue. This might sound strange, but if another tobacco leaves you with a dry or burnt mouth - smoke a bowl of Royal Yacht. As unbelievable as it sounds, it makes your mouth better and the tongue bite go away! Unbelievable I know, but true.

Smokes very well, burns down to nothing. It’s good in nicotine but not ridiculously strong as some people claim. It can be smoked outside in the breeze without getting too hot. It doesn’t ever burn or bite you. Not ever. Just keep lightly tamping it down as you smoke the bowl, and it takes care of you. It’s really Very good.

If you are having trouble with finding a tobacco which suits you, try this before you give up. I give it 4 stars. I understand some who give it 3 stars, Virginia lovers have different tastes. However, those who gave it 1 or 2 stars simply shouldn’t have reviewed it - perhaps they need to realise it’s because they don’t like straight virginias. They should stick to reviewing their heavily flavoured aromatics, etc.

Royal Yacht is a must for everyone to try. Especially if you are new to pipe smoking - it is just so easy you can’t go wrong with them.

The other great thing about Royal Yacht - in this era we often don’t have time to smoke for an hour. Royal Yacht you can smoke a bowl in half an hour. Yet like I say, it doesn’t burn hot. This tobacco suits the lifestyle of the modern pipe smoker - you can smoke it whilst walking to work or when outside as the breeze doesn’t turn it into a hot mouth burner.

Equally good in a tiny bowl pipe or a large bowl pipe, it just works without any fuss.

4 stars for sure.

I have now smoked almost all of the Dunhill tobaccos. Plus a huge number of other Peterson and other brands of aromatics. Royal Yacht keeps pulling me back. Favourite Dunhills, eg Standard Mixture, MM965 and Nightcap are best after a months or two in a jar.

Royal Yacht is perfect straight out of the tin or after three months jarred.

Flavouring added - 1/4 Barely noticeable

Cut - ribbon, perfect ‘one match light’

Strength - 3/4

Creaminess and smoke density - 4/4

Taste - 4/4

Nicotine - 3/4

Mouth burn/ tongue bite - 0/4 none at all!

Recommend trying - 4/4

Overall experience - 4/4

Weeks to jar before smoking - 0/4 perfect straight out of the tin

Pipe Used: Peterson 999 Kildare, Savinelli 626 Tortuga
Age When Smoked: Straight out of the tin. Jar
Dec 28, 2019 Strong Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable
Dunhill Royal Yacht, a brief review. To clear any misunderstandings, this blend is now being sold as Peterson Royal Yacht. As far as I know, the blend is the same, only the brand name has changed. This is a blend of empire virginias, topped with a plum essence. The cut is a ready rub, somewhat uneven, but very easy to pack and get going. When I pop a tin of RY, I'll smoke the first bowls rather moist. In this state, the topping is obvious and the tobacco itself seems rather muted. The topping is pleasant, lightly applied and fades during the smoke until almost gone by the end of the smoke. Smoking moist tobacco requires more relight and can cause tongue burn. As the contents of the tin dry out, the tobacco burns better, the topping steps back and the tobaccos take the lead. This is a strong blend. Maybe the strongest I have tried. I have not tried the ropes, but compared to 1792 Flake, Irish Flake, ODF and such, this leads the field. It might be because the cut makes it burn a little faster. Empire virginias are stronger and less sweet than the virginias found in, say, Capstan or Full Virginia Flake. The flavors are bready, a little tangy, notes of camphor or something like that arise from the sheer strength of the smoke, especially on the retrohale. There are some prominent flowery notes as well, and I suspect they are the reason some reviewers claim to taste lakeland essences, of which there are none. This blend is way to strong for me to smoke while driving or working, but goes well with an alcoholic beverage, as alcohol and nicotine seem to mellow each other out. I smoke Royal Yacht when I can sit down with a drink on the weekend or when out on the town. I always have some on hand and I give it a full rating. It's perfect for its use.
Pipe Used: Peterson 999 Roundstone & others
Dec 08, 2019 Medium to Strong Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant
This review is for the Peterson RY . I read it is the same recipe , made in the same factory with the same tin art . Opening the tin the smell is Virginia and a fruity topping . The cut is like a fully rubbed out flake . It’s not fluffy like most other dunhill ribbon cuts . This is strong tobacco , i would say past the medium mark ! It lights and burns great right out of the tin . High quality tobacco . The plum taste for the topping is more than mild IMO . It overpowers the tobacco Sometimes . If you love the taste it is probably 3-4 stars . I don’t really love it , but it is okay . Won’t buy it again . 2 1/2 stars for me . Too many great Virginias out there .
Dec 07, 2019 Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable
One of the few Virginia's that I enjoy and would repurchase. Good flavor and good smoke. Would reccomend for an english smoker looking for a little variety

Taste: strong virginia flavor. I get the top not early bowl but disappears as it goes down. Rushed, it gives off a pleasant bbq taste, kinda like a latakia ghost (smoked only in pipes that have not touched latakia). The vitamin n is strong in this one but not too much. If you are a cigarette smoker, this will give you about 3 cigarettes or more of nicotine content. Smoke it slow and enjoy
Pipe Used: Country gentleman