Peterson The Royal Yacht

(3.00)
Truly a luxurious tobacco. Virginias are carefully conditioned to ensure sweetness. They are added to rich, heavier and cooler Virginias. A unique flavor is added to the final blend to enhance the subtle and piquant aroma.
Notes: Pure shade grown Virginias, very soft smoking, particularly recommended in cases of delicate throat. -1917 Lemon and bronze Virginia leaves are carefully conditioned and are added to rich heavy body Virginias, a unique flavour is added to the final blend. -1985 Formerly known as a Dunhill blend, it now sports the Peterson brand.

Details

Packaging 50 grams tin
Country Denmark
Production Currently available

Profile

Strength
Strong

Extremely Mild -> Overwhelming

None Detected -> Extra Strong

Unnoticeable -> Overwhelming
Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.00 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 41 - 49 of 49 Reviews
Jul 28, 2007 Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong
I have smoked this product off and on for several years (more off than on)not my bag at all though must say I find the new Orlik blend a better and smoother smoke than the old Murrays. Almost sure it only sells because of the name. Only gets 1 star because of the new blender
Jun 17, 2007 Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable
Rusell is much too kind when he suggests: "They ought to have named it Royal Yuck, a uniquely stinking mixture.'"

Try substituting an all too common word that rhymes with yuck with the tag line of "because that is what you will get.

RY is not the worst tobacco I've ever smoked, but it sure is awful.
Mar 19, 2007 Overwhelming Strong Overwhelming Strong
Well I brought this because I had heard it was a old classic. I had the same type of experience as when I brought my first aftershave. The aftershave was really very similar to this tobacco in so many ways. Like royal yatch it is also smelly and has a dreadful way of lingering on and on long after you have stopped using it. Also the aftershave goes off very quickly and if you are not careful will smell like a rats tail if not kept well corked. Also like this particular aftershave the girls will hate you for using it.

A burnt tasting overly strong tobacco that tastes and smells awful. I will not be buying this again.
Aug 22, 2006 Medium Medium to Strong Overwhelming Tolerable
Okay, first review here. I have enjoyed reading the various reviews here and found them to be helpful as I begin to find what works for me.

I've found Royal Yacht to be all but unsmokeable. It just smokes so hot! I keep trying to give it another chance but that hotness is overwhelming. I'll keep it on the bench for occasional use but whatever is in this stuff is apparently not my cup o' tea.
Aug 05, 2006 Very Strong Medium to Strong Overwhelming Strong
update: recently I found out that the blend I have been smoking, and the one I recommended below was Murray's version of Royal Yacht!. No wonder it was a spectacular blend, per my tobacconist those tins were in storage for more than 5 years. Trying the new version (blended by Orlik), I'd agree with many of unsatisfied reviewer here, this blend is harsh on the palate, smokes hot, and has a very unnatural taste. it sure tastes like it was soaked in some chemical solution.
update: this became my default smoke. if you don't inhale the strength won't be a big problem. if not rubbed it'll smoke really smooth, cool, sweet and slow. if rubbed it'll smoke smooth, less cool, less sweet, full taste but less slow.

just having my second bowl of it. first impression: slow burning-i spent 1.5 hour smoking the first bowl-, it smells very nice in the tin and when smoked.

the only thing i find unsatisfying about this exceptional tobacco is the strengh it's highly strong.

Bassel
Mar 10, 2005 Strong Medium to Strong Full Tolerable
I was dissapointed with stuff and almost threw it away, but doggedly kept going to the end of the tin. It smells nice in the tin, but is very harsh tongue biting stuff.
Dec 19, 2004 Extremely Strong Medium to Strong Medium Strong
I wonder if anyone would smoke this if it didn't have the word "Dunhill" scrawled in elegant lettering across the lid. This is a truly putrid tobacco, with a tin aroma like cheap--very, very cheap--wine, which, when lit, smells equally appealing as it rises from your pipe. It is uninteresting, disgusting, and, as so many have noted, has an extremely high nicotine content that makes it all the more unappetizing. I can take some nicotine (Nightcap and 965's legendary nicotine levels didn't faze me at all), but in a tobacco this crappy, the buzz offered no pleasure whatsoever.

But we all have our tastes. I adore Mixture No. 79, which received nary a positive review here, so I can't resent a man loving a bowl of Royal Yacht. I don't understand it, mind you, but to each his own. I prefer burley over Virginia tobacco anyway.

And now a proposition: I have a newly opened tin of this stuff that has had only one bowl smoked out of it. Anyone interested in trading for a tin of tobacco they'd like to get rid of can e-mail me at [email protected] to see about an exchange. We'll see if there are any takers. . . .
Sep 27, 2004 Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable
September 2004

Loved the tin aroma, loved the strength, found the flavor strange and unusual from bowl top to bowl bottom. There are too many other Virgina-based blends around to make this a keeper for me.
Feb 17, 2004 Overwhelming Medium Mild Tolerable to Strong
Good gawdamighty. This stuff is something fierce! How could the makers of 965 set this stuff out, I asked myself.

MAYBE in my Camel nails and Rot Haendle days might I tolerate a half a bowlful, maybe, but this stuff is just too strong. What's the point of stuffing a bowlful of this, half knowing you're only going to get all swimmy headed in a few, short moments.

The flavor was nothing worth the impending floating/sinking sensation, soon to come.

Any nick freaks out there, have your ways with this tin. All others, keep moving along.

target="_blank"