Peterson The Royal Yacht

(3.00)
Truly a luxurious tobacco. Virginias are carefully conditioned to ensure sweetness. They are added to rich, heavier and cooler Virginias. A unique flavor is added to the final blend to enhance the subtle and piquant aroma.
Notes: Pure shade grown Virginias, very soft smoking, particularly recommended in cases of delicate throat. -1917 Lemon and bronze Virginia leaves are carefully conditioned and are added to rich heavy body Virginias, a unique flavour is added to the final blend. -1985 Formerly known as a Dunhill blend, it now sports the Peterson brand.

Details

Packaging 50 grams tin
Country Denmark
Production Currently available

Profile

Strength
Strong

Extremely Mild -> Overwhelming

None Detected -> Extra Strong

Unnoticeable -> Overwhelming
Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.00 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 41 - 50 of 438 Reviews
Jan 04, 2020 Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable
"Now I will have to settle for Royal Yacht like that asshole Stalin"!

("It's okay -- some aromatics are actually pretty good") . . .

It's 2020 -- Royal Yacht has been around since before WWI began -- and I'm just now getting around to the latest iteration of this legendary blend for the very first time (more than a century after WWI ended).

Where to begin?

1) By reading all of the 1-star reviews 2) By reading all of the 2-star reviews 3) By reading all of the 3-star reviews 4) By reading all of the 4-star reviews, and finally, 5) By smoking a bowl of Royal Yacht.

Royal Yacht: An aromatic that I actually smoked all the way to the bottom of the bowl.

I typically do not purchase 3-star tobaccos, nor do I generally smoke them. For me, Royal Yacht would be a 4-star recommend, except for the following: 1) I would prefer actual Perique in my bowl as opposed to some artificial chemical perfume, and, 2) I woke this morning with a an aftertaste in my mouth which felt as though I had been kicked in the mouth by a bad cigar the night before (hence the 3-star recommend).

As a rule, I generally eschew aromatics (even though I started out with them). When I want to smoke tobacco, I want to smoke tobacco, and nothing else. But alas, there is no tobacco that has not been adulterated in one way or another with some form of additive, casing, topping, so, I'm stepping out of my comfort zone in search of aromatics that are actually smokeable. Royal Yacht is one of these.

So now I finally have three aromatics in my rotation (the other two being Frog Morton's Cellar and Watch City Deluxe Crumb Cut -- the latter two being 4-star blends for me).

This is an authentically old-school codger blend. If the only pipe tobacco I had access to was Royal Yacht, I suppose I would only smoke Royal Yacht (though I would pick up the pipe much less frequently than I currently do).

In summation, Royal Yacht is, in fact, a unique smoking blend -- a quintessentially classic mixture more than a century old -- and should be sampled by any piper who considers themself a piper.
Aug 10, 2019 Medium to Strong Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
A nice Virginia ribbon cut tobacco with a very subtle fruity topping. I remember smoking this many years ago when it was made by Murrays, and thinking it was Dunhills effort to make a posh rival to Erinmore: the topping seemed similar albeit sparingly applied, and the Virginia base was strong. Perhaps the similar colour scheme of the tin encouraged that idea for me, and I was probably wrong since Royal Yacht was introduced in 1912, while Erinmore appeared in the 1920s. I'm now smoking a tin of the last production from Europe, and the topping is barely detectable.

In the tin we have some mid brown leaf in the usual Dunhill ribbon cut. It's on the dry side, ideal for smoking, and the aroma in the tin is mild: sultanas and fruitcake. Very pleasant. It lights easily and requires few relights even in a new pipe with minimal cake. It does burn faster than the Virginia flakes I usually enjoy, but provides an adequate dose of vitamin N. As such it can be handy for a quicker smoke (all rather relative of course, and the pipe is fundamentally not adapted to the convenient rapid consumption of tobacco: in my view a good thing).

The flavour is mild, very sweet and pleasant. It is quite zesty in the beginning, with some citrus and new mown hay. As it progresses bready, creamy flavours like buttered tea cake appear. Towards the end of the bowl I do notice a slight harshness, perhaps its a nicotine tingle, but it can seem a tad harsh at the back of my throat. I don't remember this with the Murrays production, and it's interesting that the old Dunhill blurb recommended it for cases of "delicate throat". In any case this is strong Virginia tobacco and as such it isn't likely to cause tongue bite unless severely provoked. Smoke it gently to enjoy the flavours.

It's nice on a hot day, or a an early morning smoke to wake up the taste buds. If you are sensitive to nicotine have a hearty breakfast first.

This isn't a tobacco that I was particularly drawn to in the past, but it's pretty good and in the interests of research I'll probably try the Charatan replacement "Royal Escape", and report back.

update

I've found that the harshness I sometimes experienced at the end of the bowl doesn't occur in a pipe that's well broken in with good cake. Also, I'm finding this baccy quite delicious, in fact I think it's the best ribbon cut straight Virginia I've tried. As such I'm upgrading it to four stars.
Pipe Used: Northern Briars premier Liverpool
PurchasedFrom: Turmeus, Liverpool
May 17, 2014 Strong None Detected Full Strong
I just had a few bowls of the "new" The Royal Yacht Mixture by Dunhill, which is now produced by Kohlhase and Kopp in Germany.

The 50g tin cost me 12,25 EUR (April 2014 in Germany). It is one of the more high priced tobaccos.

Opening the thin, I expected a fruity aroma. But I only smelled strong tobacco, almost like opening a carton of cigars -- nothing more, nothing less.

It is a standard mixture. Loading the pipe, one match, maybe two, and you're good to go. No problems there. If you puff slowly, you always get a cool smoke throughout the whole bowl.

The tase is, at least in my opinion, very very similar to the J. F. Germain & Son Brown Flake pipe tobacco. There is only a very, amost undetectable sweetness in the background. It is much more earthy, tart, dry almost bitter, even smoked with discipline very cool (just to keep it glowing). Personally, I miss depth, and of course a bit more of sweetness and also the considered fruity aroma (btw I dindn't expect an aromatic here!).

The roomnote is strong and considered by non-smokers as "Oh no, you smoke this one only outside!!!".

It is a good quality tobacco. I guess if you like e.g. Germain's Brown Flake or maybe Peterson's Irish Flake, you definitely should try this one. If you're more a friend of matured sweet virginias with a slight aroma of apricots, plums or raisins, this tobacco is maybe not the right one for you.
Pipe Used: different unfiltered pipes
Apr 24, 2014 Very Strong Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable
First of all we have to distinguish between natural aromatic tobaccos (only tobacco) and tobaccos with flavoring (tobacco + flavors). In the same way we have to distinguish between tobaccos with natural flavoring (natural flavors) and tobaccos with artificial flavoring (artificial and chemical flavors). Sadly, Dunhill Royal Yacht belong to the last type. It is straight Virginia of course, but there is a lot of casing and it is not a pure tobacco. Moreover it is not only natural flavoring, but also artificial flavoring. Openin the tin the scent is wonderful, the tobacco is nutty, with a white chocolate smell. However this Virginia is very very strong and the real taste is not of pure Virginia. Chemical additives are add, put on top. If you like pure tobacco, this is not for you. I regret, for me is only a star: my mark is 5-.
Oct 30, 2013 Very Strong Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable
The casing is very light and pleasant. The cut is closer to shag than ribbon - a good thing for my pace and burn preference. This is a great smoke with a stout hit of nicotine. I get the same nicotine experience from Royal Yacht that I get from Fillmore but with more of a medium taste (I consider the taste of Fillmore to be "full").

11/07/13 - I'm changing my recommendation to 4 stars for the simple reason that I reach for this blend as often or more often than my existing favorites.
Apr 09, 2011 Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
I'm not going to go into a huge amount of detail here, that's been done by plenty of others. This seems to be an interesting side step for Dunhill, at least for me. Prior to trying this one most of my experience with Dunhill had been their English and flake items. Although I love the flake, I'm tired of English blends and more into blends that are devoid of Latakia and it's cousins. So Royal Yacht really hit the bullseye. I love Burley and VA/Burley blends and things with that Brit 'treacle' hint (the molasses/raisin thing) if done well. And this one I think uses that kind of casing/topping of wherever in the process it's applied. Doesn't matter. It's good in th pouch, handles well and easily, is quite tractable in the bowl and produces the magic trio (for me): a) it's easy to pack and light, b) it smokes with a wonderful flavor that is primarily a rich tobacco flavor that is enhanced with the added flavoring, and c) it behaves well with no bite, moderate Vit N hit and burns cleanly. That might be more than three. doesn't really matter. This is world class and a classic. (six stars)
Apr 18, 2006 Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
I recently started exploring aromatics again. Qualities I look for in a good aromatic are lack of bite, pleasant topping flavor that compliments tobacco flavor, and burning quality. One thing I miss in aromatics is that satisfying tobacco punch.

Royal Yacht has all those qualities. There is no mistaking this tobacco is topped. The flavor is in the neighbor hood of stewed fruit, fruit cake, and figs. I think one of the previous reviewers compared the taste to that of the filling found in fig newtons. Close enough.

You'll get a lot more from Royal Yacht than the taste of the topping - there's full, rich taste of Virginias too. It's not easy to tell where the taste of the tobacco stops and the flavoring starts, which to me means each of the flavors compliment one another. I especially appreciate the fact I can smoke this, enjoy VA flavor, and not worry about tongue bite.

If you've heard all the hype, and wonder how good or bad it can be, I recommend buying a tin and finding out for yourself. I wouldn't hesitate to encourage anyone to give this blend a try. Three stars.

**********UPDATE

I'm nearing the end of my tin and the exposure to air has only made this even better. The flavoring is a bit less pronounced after considerable time to breath, and the tradeoff is more of the tobacco flavor. I wouldn't necessarily recomend drying of the tobacco, but a week or two in a new container after opening the tin make a difference. In other words, its good right out of the tin, and just gets better from there. I've given my review a well deserved upgrad to four starts - highly recommended.
Jul 31, 2016 Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant
On a recent trip to my nearest B+M shop (Harvey's of Redruth) I picked up my usual and two new to me blends, one of which was Dunhill's Royal Yacht. As always I couldn't wait to get home and try out my new acquisitions. With a cup of Typhoo I settled down and dug out my McQuade bent bulldog, my preferred pipe for testing purposes.

Upon opening the round 50g tin & peeling back the paper I spied a pleasant mix of mid to dark brown shreds that had an amazing aroma (don't they all?), sweet freshly mown hay came to mind along with a hint of figs or dates. As I always do I tipped the contents onto a copper tray to get some air to it but to be honest this blend didn't appear to be overly moist like so many are.

Filling the bowl was a doddle due to the ribbon cut of the tobacco. Char light and tamp then light proper and we were away. Huge clouds of smoke was the first thing that struck me but it did settle down. Once going proper I could taste the figs/dates in the sweetness of the smoke along with perhaps caramel. I remember thinking 'if this is straight Virginia tobacco then I like straight Virginia tobacco'.

Mid bowl I detected a slightly spicey/peppery hint that surprisingly went well with the dried fruit flavours. No relights were required but if things started to slow down a couple of tugs brought things back again along with more clouds of white smoke. The nicotine content was reasonable without knocking me sideways but I should imagine it would if smoked hard. No tongue bite and zero moisture left in the bowl so no complaints there.

I found this to be almost midway twixt medium & strong, and was reminded of Mellow Virginia though I find MV to be that much more fruity throughout.

Will I be buying this again? I most certainly will though I do baulk at paying an extra £1 per tin simply because it is labelled 'Dunhill'. I have read that the current version is not as good as the Murray produced version so can only wonder at how much more I would have liked it back then.

Sitting here as I am on a lazy Sunday afternoon sipping RY from a bucket bowled Bari egg shaped Oom Paul, listening to the birds twittering and matey across the road mowing his lawn (again) as the sun streams in through my window I feel all is well in the world.

A definite 5 star blend to this relative newcomer (10 months) to pipesmoking.
Pipe Used: McQuade bulldog & Bari Squash.
PurchasedFrom: Harvey's of Redruth, Cornwall.
Age When Smoked: Fresh.
Jun 15, 2015 Strong Mild Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable
Excellent quality leaf.Moisture just right from tin.Very easy light.Billows of smoke.Very full taste - sweet too.Gets more heft by last third of bowl. I can attest to another reviewers post re the slight cigarettish quality. Strong smoke akin to smoking 5 Marlboro Reds rolled Gatling gun style.

I am quite susceptible to the addictive properties of nic and smoked a full tin in 4 days.....very moreish .Due to this I shall steer clear of this blend for a while!! Superb smoke for the more macho amongst us 🙂
Pipe Used: Peterson 307s and Deluxe.
PurchasedFrom: My smoking shop
Oct 31, 2014 Medium Mild Mild Pleasant
Nothing more to add than has already been expounded on. I simply am in love with RY. I remember though as a young pipe smoker trying to push this blend hard on an empty stomach; bad move. It smoked me the first time instead of me smoking it. I was sick boy let me tell you. Grew up alot since then and learned to respect this old timer; been good pals ever since!
Pipe Used: Peterson Killarney