Peterson The Royal Yacht

(3.00)
Truly a luxurious tobacco. Virginias are carefully conditioned to ensure sweetness. They are added to rich, heavier and cooler Virginias. A unique flavor is added to the final blend to enhance the subtle and piquant aroma.
Notes: Pure shade grown Virginias, very soft smoking, particularly recommended in cases of delicate throat. -1917 Lemon and bronze Virginia leaves are carefully conditioned and are added to rich heavy body Virginias, a unique flavour is added to the final blend. -1985 Formerly known as a Dunhill blend, it now sports the Peterson brand.

Details

Packaging 50 grams tin
Country Denmark
Production Currently available

Profile

Strength
Strong

Extremely Mild -> Overwhelming

None Detected -> Extra Strong

Unnoticeable -> Overwhelming
Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.00 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 31 - 40 of 180 Reviews
Jul 31, 2016 Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant
On a recent trip to my nearest B+M shop (Harvey's of Redruth) I picked up my usual and two new to me blends, one of which was Dunhill's Royal Yacht. As always I couldn't wait to get home and try out my new acquisitions. With a cup of Typhoo I settled down and dug out my McQuade bent bulldog, my preferred pipe for testing purposes.

Upon opening the round 50g tin & peeling back the paper I spied a pleasant mix of mid to dark brown shreds that had an amazing aroma (don't they all?), sweet freshly mown hay came to mind along with a hint of figs or dates. As I always do I tipped the contents onto a copper tray to get some air to it but to be honest this blend didn't appear to be overly moist like so many are.

Filling the bowl was a doddle due to the ribbon cut of the tobacco. Char light and tamp then light proper and we were away. Huge clouds of smoke was the first thing that struck me but it did settle down. Once going proper I could taste the figs/dates in the sweetness of the smoke along with perhaps caramel. I remember thinking 'if this is straight Virginia tobacco then I like straight Virginia tobacco'.

Mid bowl I detected a slightly spicey/peppery hint that surprisingly went well with the dried fruit flavours. No relights were required but if things started to slow down a couple of tugs brought things back again along with more clouds of white smoke. The nicotine content was reasonable without knocking me sideways but I should imagine it would if smoked hard. No tongue bite and zero moisture left in the bowl so no complaints there.

I found this to be almost midway twixt medium & strong, and was reminded of Mellow Virginia though I find MV to be that much more fruity throughout.

Will I be buying this again? I most certainly will though I do baulk at paying an extra £1 per tin simply because it is labelled 'Dunhill'. I have read that the current version is not as good as the Murray produced version so can only wonder at how much more I would have liked it back then.

Sitting here as I am on a lazy Sunday afternoon sipping RY from a bucket bowled Bari egg shaped Oom Paul, listening to the birds twittering and matey across the road mowing his lawn (again) as the sun streams in through my window I feel all is well in the world.

A definite 5 star blend to this relative newcomer (10 months) to pipesmoking.
Pipe Used: McQuade bulldog & Bari Squash.
PurchasedFrom: Harvey's of Redruth, Cornwall.
Age When Smoked: Fresh.
Jun 15, 2015 Strong Mild Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable
Excellent quality leaf.Moisture just right from tin.Very easy light.Billows of smoke.Very full taste - sweet too.Gets more heft by last third of bowl. I can attest to another reviewers post re the slight cigarettish quality. Strong smoke akin to smoking 5 Marlboro Reds rolled Gatling gun style.

I am quite susceptible to the addictive properties of nic and smoked a full tin in 4 days.....very moreish .Due to this I shall steer clear of this blend for a while!! Superb smoke for the more macho amongst us 🙂
Pipe Used: Peterson 307s and Deluxe.
PurchasedFrom: My smoking shop
Oct 31, 2014 Medium Mild Mild Pleasant
Nothing more to add than has already been expounded on. I simply am in love with RY. I remember though as a young pipe smoker trying to push this blend hard on an empty stomach; bad move. It smoked me the first time instead of me smoking it. I was sick boy let me tell you. Grew up alot since then and learned to respect this old timer; been good pals ever since!
Pipe Used: Peterson Killarney
PurchasedFrom: JR Cigar, Pipesandcigars.com
Age When Smoked: Always a fresh tin
Mar 21, 2014 Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
Let me be formal and introduce myself my name is Zach, a greenhorn to the world of pipe tobacco. If it weren't for the wonderfully well written reviews here I'd never of started so thanks but enough of that and more of

This Royal Yacht lives up to it's title it features a bold flavor casing of plum that I could taste throughout very pleasant but while I was smoking I'd get a nice earthy dirt like taste with a sweet coffee taste that all went together very well with my lemonade iced tea the icing on the cake for me was that I could still taste the tobacco in this blend and that the nicotine washed over me like a wave-soothing and smooth rich smoke that stayed alight much better than the other blends I have tried and this is fresh out of the can still somewhat moist it will be interesting to see how this tobacco matures- I only filled my pipe half full of this and was glad I did or the nicotine would of been too much for me.

This is my first time trying this (and reviewing) and I think I'll be taking a lot more voyages on the royal yacht
Pipe Used: MO Meerschaum Missouri Pride
PurchasedFrom: Pipes and Cigars (2 for 1 March Dunhill Deal)
Age When Smoked: 21
Jul 09, 2012 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable
I once heard that Dunhill Royal Yacht was an acquired taste.

Little did that person know that I, like Indiana Jones, am an obtainer of rare antiquities. Which Royal Yacht distinguishably is.

The tin aroma is very heavy, piquant as described, much like a box of fresh raisins.

The thin shreds of tobacco vary from dark chocolate to a creamy coffee brown.

It packs beyond effortlessly, lights itself, all you have to do is bring a flame to it and burns incredibly easy.

I think this may truly be a tobacco that every piper should try at least once.

However, I did notice that the strength was slightly lacking, the flavor was pretty bland, and that I may have used the wrong pipe. This to me, seems like something that should be enjoyed in a smaller bowl. I know a lot people favor larger bowls, but this seems like a scotch type tobacco. You won't ever drink a keg of scotch in one sitting, nor would you want to.

This is a delicate tobacco, and at the same time nothing too special. It's almost like comparing Starbucks to Folgers. Now, on that same token, I do drink Folgers every day. I don't drink Starbucks nearly as much as I would like to, but I digress.

This is a high quality tobacco with a flavor profile not all too dissimilar to that of Prince Albert or Carter Hall, just made with higher quality ingredients.

I may edit/update this review once I have tried it in a different pipe at least once more.

10/26/2012 Edit: Upgrading this to four stars. Age and refining tastes yields a great deal of pleasure with this tobacco.
Nov 08, 2022 Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant
My go-to pub tobacco ... I always smoke it sitting in the beer garden as the note is pleasant to all around. As an ex-cigarette smoker, I don't really feel the nic hit everyone is highlighting, but the taste is medium for me, with a lot of sweetness and stone fruit, especially stewed mirabelle plums. There is a topping but this isn't an aromatic. I would like to say that it's an all-day smoke, but unfortunately for me, it isn't. You cannot rush it ... take your time, have a pint, and have a good conversation.

I love it. It's tobacco with a purpose. It makes us slow down and enjoy the moment.
Pipe Used: Peterson 107
PurchasedFrom: Danish Pipe Shop
Age When Smoked: 1 year
Jun 24, 2022 Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant
An excellent blend which really displays the power of Virginia blends with the addition of a light yet significant topping. A rich dark fruit aroma underpinned by the scent of quality tobacco out of the tin which packs perfectly with little prep other than maybe rubbing out a few strands.

The dark fruit flavour plays a background role as the woody Virginias take the lead with all the complexity you would expect while sipping. Consistent throughout the smoke and with no tongue bite this is a great all day blend as long as you don't enjoy on an empty stomach as there is a pretty strong vit N hit noticeable from the charring light which as an ex cigarette smoker hits the spot in a way few other blends do. Perfect with a coffee in the morning or after a good meal this is a must have to those venturing into Virginia blends or those who already enjoy them.
Pipe Used: Peterson 306, Corncob, Falcon
PurchasedFrom: GQ Tobaccos
Age When Smoked: New and Jarred for months
Jul 04, 2020 Medium Very Mild Full Pleasant
One of the best tobaccos there is. It’s rich in flavour and mellow in strength. It’s an everyday, all day tobacco which leaves you wanting more, but also completely satisfies your pipe and tobacco craving each bowl.

There are some strange reviews about this tobacco. It shouldn’t really be considered an aromatic. It will be enjoyed by those who like a straight Virginia with a well rounded mellow taste. Most straight virginias lack much flavour but this does have a rich smooth creamy mellow flavour, which soothes the mouth. More flavour than other Virginia blends which I’ve tried.

It’s ready to smoke straight out of the tin. I usually open the tin, put the tobacco in a jar and leave the lid off for an hour. Then close the lid. Next day I start smoking it. Having said that, the last time I had it, I opened it and smoked it right away. In fact I never jarred it, just kept it from the tin and smoked it. It’s just kind to you at all times.

It’s very tolerant of your smoking style and uncomplicated. Equally good through a churchwarden meerschaum or a petite bowl briar with short stem. It works in any pipe.

Very soothing on the mouth and tongue. This might sound strange, but if another tobacco leaves you with a dry or burnt mouth - smoke a bowl of Royal Yacht. As unbelievable as it sounds, it makes your mouth better and the tongue bite go away! Unbelievable I know, but true.

Smokes very well, burns down to nothing. It’s good in nicotine but not ridiculously strong as some people claim. It can be smoked outside in the breeze without getting too hot. It doesn’t ever burn or bite you. Not ever. Just keep lightly tamping it down as you smoke the bowl, and it takes care of you. It’s really Very good.

If you are having trouble with finding a tobacco which suits you, try this before you give up. I give it 4 stars. I understand some who give it 3 stars, Virginia lovers have different tastes. However, those who gave it 1 or 2 stars simply shouldn’t have reviewed it - perhaps they need to realise it’s because they don’t like straight virginias. They should stick to reviewing their heavily flavoured aromatics, etc.

Royal Yacht is a must for everyone to try. Especially if you are new to pipe smoking - it is just so easy you can’t go wrong with them.

The other great thing about Royal Yacht - in this era we often don’t have time to smoke for an hour. Royal Yacht you can smoke a bowl in half an hour. Yet like I say, it doesn’t burn hot. This tobacco suits the lifestyle of the modern pipe smoker - you can smoke it whilst walking to work or when outside as the breeze doesn’t turn it into a hot mouth burner.

Equally good in a tiny bowl pipe or a large bowl pipe, it just works without any fuss.

4 stars for sure.

I have now smoked almost all of the Dunhill tobaccos. Plus a huge number of other Peterson and other brands of aromatics. Royal Yacht keeps pulling me back. Favourite Dunhills, eg Standard Mixture, MM965 and Nightcap are best after a months or two in a jar.

Royal Yacht is perfect straight out of the tin or after three months jarred.

Flavouring added - 1/4 Barely noticeable

Cut - ribbon, perfect ‘one match light’

Strength - 3/4

Creaminess and smoke density - 4/4

Taste - 4/4

Nicotine - 3/4

Mouth burn/ tongue bite - 0/4 none at all!

Recommend trying - 4/4

Overall experience - 4/4

Weeks to jar before smoking - 0/4 perfect straight out of the tin

Pipe Used: Peterson 999 Kildare, Savinelli 626 Tortuga
Age When Smoked: Straight out of the tin. Jar
Dec 28, 2019 Strong Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable
Dunhill Royal Yacht, a brief review. To clear any misunderstandings, this blend is now being sold as Peterson Royal Yacht. As far as I know, the blend is the same, only the brand name has changed. This is a blend of empire virginias, topped with a plum essence. The cut is a ready rub, somewhat uneven, but very easy to pack and get going. When I pop a tin of RY, I'll smoke the first bowls rather moist. In this state, the topping is obvious and the tobacco itself seems rather muted. The topping is pleasant, lightly applied and fades during the smoke until almost gone by the end of the smoke. Smoking moist tobacco requires more relight and can cause tongue burn. As the contents of the tin dry out, the tobacco burns better, the topping steps back and the tobaccos take the lead. This is a strong blend. Maybe the strongest I have tried. I have not tried the ropes, but compared to 1792 Flake, Irish Flake, ODF and such, this leads the field. It might be because the cut makes it burn a little faster. Empire virginias are stronger and less sweet than the virginias found in, say, Capstan or Full Virginia Flake. The flavors are bready, a little tangy, notes of camphor or something like that arise from the sheer strength of the smoke, especially on the retrohale. There are some prominent flowery notes as well, and I suspect they are the reason some reviewers claim to taste lakeland essences, of which there are none. This blend is way to strong for me to smoke while driving or working, but goes well with an alcoholic beverage, as alcohol and nicotine seem to mellow each other out. I smoke Royal Yacht when I can sit down with a drink on the weekend or when out on the town. I always have some on hand and I give it a full rating. It's perfect for its use.
Pipe Used: Peterson 999 Roundstone & others
May 22, 2015 Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable
The tin of Royal Yacht that I smoked for this review was my first sample of the RY from STG, and my only disappointment was that I’d put off trying it for so long. I do detect some differences from the various Murrays, but IMO the latest Royal Yacht honors the marque and retains “Classic” status.

Popping the tin, all is pretty much as ever, except the tin note is perhaps more melded now, with the prominent plum topping jumping right out ahead of the full-yet-mellow, aged and partly ferment VAs, along with figs, cocoa, and forest floor. I think that part of the figgy smell (and part of the musty smell) could be Perique, and I’ll get to that, anon. Short ribbons range from a smattering of gold to myriad browns, to almost black, reflecting both leaf selection and the range of treatments the various VAs have been subjected to, from flue to air cured, to stoved and fire cured. Moisture is just a little much initially, but once the tin has been opened it doesn’t take long for RY to become a stuff-and-smoke delight. One char, then you’re off, and it burns down fast with minimal attention. Because it burns so well, one need not pull hard to keep it going, and I recommend a light pack and an easy draw, at least at first. It starts out mellow, and the topping does just what you’d want it to do, along with sweet and savory, grassy, lighter VAs. By ¼ it’s getting spicy, and the richer red VAs kick in, building the body of the smoke. By mid bowl, the earthy stoved and fired VAs are well up, and the spices are rather more than I’d expect from VAs alone, and there is musty/sour along with the sweet, and I keep thinking, Perique, and/or maybe Izmir. By now the celebrated strength of RY is apparent, and you’re smoking a serious, full, tobacco-rich blend that mellows somewhat as it deepens, to the end. The smoke itself is thick and creamy, fragrant and also spicy, in accord with the tastes, and I get Perique here, too, lots of real tobacco tastes and aromas. Strength is strong. Tastes are full. Room note is pleasant, particularly so if considering Perique. Aftertaste is aftermath/best of the smoke, and I find the whole experience very tasty, relaxing, and quite satisfying.

Fruity topping notwithstanding, Dunhill’s Royal Yacht is not aimed at beginners, and straight VA smokers may get slammed by it’s potency. This said, I highly recommend Royal Yacht to experienced VA/Per and KY lovers. YMMV, but IMO, this version is best fairly soon after it's opened, as it tends to flatten a little if it's left in a jar for long.
Pipe Used: various briars