Peterson The Royal Yacht

(3.00)
Truly a luxurious tobacco. Virginias are carefully conditioned to ensure sweetness. They are added to rich, heavier and cooler Virginias. A unique flavor is added to the final blend to enhance the subtle and piquant aroma.
Notes: Pure shade grown Virginias, very soft smoking, particularly recommended in cases of delicate throat. -1917 Lemon and bronze Virginia leaves are carefully conditioned and are added to rich heavy body Virginias, a unique flavour is added to the final blend. -1985 Formerly known as a Dunhill blend, it now sports the Peterson brand.

Details

Packaging 50 grams tin
Country Denmark
Production Currently available

Profile

Strength
Strong

Extremely Mild -> Overwhelming

None Detected -> Extra Strong

Unnoticeable -> Overwhelming
Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.00 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 21 - 30 of 180 Reviews
May 14, 2009 Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant
Another one of the great ones from England that one cannot buy in the States. I swear, if I lived in England I could be very happy with their tobaccos. I found a tin of this one in Burmuda while cruising. I had never tried it before so only bought one can. I deeply regret this, it only cost me $4.70 for the tin and they had plenty of it. This and these English Blends are turning me into a VA lover. This one is mostly a VA with a little fruity flavoring that smells sweet in the tin and upon lighting up, smell rich and fragrant in the room. It packed easily as it's a riff cut medium brown tobacco and it lit on first light and stayed lit all the way down. It was very gentle on the tongue even when I smoked it kind of fast. It smoked down to a dark grey ash dottle with no gurgling or goopiness in my pipe. It smokes wonderful in a Peterson System pipe and I enjoyed it very much. Oh why did I not buy more?
May 10, 2018 Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong
Comes in ribbons, the usual Dunhill cut. Three shades of brown in almost equal parts. Tin note, while not very intense, has a faint ‘plumy’ note on a background of yeasty tobacco aroma. The freshly opened tin had optimal moisture to smoke so I jarred it straight away.

Royal Yacht is indeed a strong and full bodied smoke. Not unpleasantly so - at least for me. While smoking my first bowl I started to hiccup but it did not happen again. Tastewise, although tasty it’s not loaded with flavor. And despite the fact that it nominally has a plum flavouring, the dominant flavor is that of tobacco. It is quite dry and although a straight Virginia it does have some complexity. Actually the flavor, nutty, reminded me a little of Semois which is a Burley grown in Belgium. Royal Yacht is smoother though. When sipped I got some sweet notes as well. I can also imagine raisins and wood and some smoky dark fired notes and present are some yeasty and spicy notes as well. I’d classify Royal Yacht to the ‘cigarette-like’ tobaccos which means that it is very tobaccoey –despite the plum flavoring- and as such and because of its strength I’d recommend it to seasoned smokers. Room note is quite bold and it leaves an intense, mildly bitter, aftertaste on the mouth.

Do not get fooled by the flavouring, this is a true tobacco smoke. Not a typical Virginia, as I said I do get some Burley-like notes, but Royal Yacht is an outstanding tobacco but not exactly made for repeated use during the day.
Dec 31, 2017 Mild to Medium Very Strong Extra Full Very Strong
Why: You have heard about it but are afraid to do it because you know it will automatically replace several other brands you have with many tins of this instead. It wins both as a top Virginia and a pipe tobacco. It scores tops on nearly every feature. You haven’t experienced a Virginia like it before.

Looks: The tin is unmissable. Yellow background with red foreground and fancy font. The tobacco is dark for a Virginia almost like a Cavendish or burley, but the texture is much lighter. There is a faint purple shine to it all. Smells deep spicey. All of this is because of the plum flavouring treatment.

Using?: If you have never seen a full pipe bowl top turn into a perfect coin shape of ash that just slides off, then Royal Yacht is the way. It burns perfectly. It goes straight into smolder. It never flames up. It never goes out very quickly. If it vanishes too fast, it’s for obvious reasons. You’re enjoying it. Quite smokey. Musty spicey plum taste and room note. The burn is unique. A small hot central heat that effortlessly smolders all the tobacco in concentric rings around it. Looks like a hot car lighter dimming out!

Result: You can learn a lot from this tobacco namely because it sets a benchmark. Other mixes may do better than it in some areas but usually not in the others like the Royal Yaught way. Also realizing it’s only a Virginia with some flavouring treatment doing all this is astonishing. It tastes spicey all the way through.

Conclusion: Dunhill has a tobacco that undermines all its other brands. I can easily see people dispense with Early Morning Pipe and Night Cap and use this instead and maybe even for the whole day as some believers have turned to it. The only reason I will still use Early Morning and Night Cap is because Royal Yacht can be a little heavier for some people. I can safely say that Royal Yacht has easily become a bulk order to replace several other well known brands in my collection. That’s how good it really is.
Pipe Used: Peterson Dracula 68
Sep 27, 2014 Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Very Pleasant
simply a superb tobacco blend ! very satisfying and a beautifully nuanced smoking experience; strong in taste and nicotine. To date, it's the only blend that gives me that "not wanting more feeling" As a heavy "roll up" smoker I think I have found a more refined smoking replacement - Royal Yacht = instant smoking satisfaction. A proper baccy for serious smokers, try it you won't be disappointed.
Pipe Used: Dunhill
PurchasedFrom: Lewis Darby - Cardiff
Mar 29, 2014 Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable
Strong virginia, rich in taste and strength, ready to be smoked. I found this blend a little bit too dry, but exceptionally good. The Dunhill Nightcap does for EM what the Royal Yacht does for virginia. If you are searching for tasty and strong blend virtginia based, with nothing else, this is it. I think it is a must-try for people that use to smoke FVF, for example, because this virginia is imho much better.
Pipe Used: lubinsky
Nov 03, 2013 Strong Mild to Medium Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable
This is my first try at RY. I usually smoke Dunhill's LM or MM 965 and many of the Pease tobaccos. Tin note is medium with the scent of hay and newly mowed grass and rather sweet. Moisture seems about right and it packs easily. The smoke gets richer as the bowl progresses and tastes a great deal like the tin aroma. No tongue bite but I did smoke it in one of Petersons with a P-lip mouthpiece. Not an over powering flavor like Latakia tobaccos but an extremely rich and satisfying smoke than develops over time. Clean after taste. I can't recall any tobacco that tastes anything like RY. A VERY big nicotine hit - the most of any of my tried tobaccos even more than Dunhill's Night Cap. As with all Virginia tobaccos I smoke, it seems to smoke best in my Peterson pipes for whatever reason. A wonderful and very satisfying tobacco. I like it more each time I smoke it. Most highly recommended.
Aug 10, 2019 Medium to Strong Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
A nice Virginia ribbon cut tobacco with a very subtle fruity topping. I remember smoking this many years ago when it was made by Murrays, and thinking it was Dunhills effort to make a posh rival to Erinmore: the topping seemed similar albeit sparingly applied, and the Virginia base was strong. Perhaps the similar colour scheme of the tin encouraged that idea for me, and I was probably wrong since Royal Yacht was introduced in 1912, while Erinmore appeared in the 1920s. I'm now smoking a tin of the last production from Europe, and the topping is barely detectable.

In the tin we have some mid brown leaf in the usual Dunhill ribbon cut. It's on the dry side, ideal for smoking, and the aroma in the tin is mild: sultanas and fruitcake. Very pleasant. It lights easily and requires few relights even in a new pipe with minimal cake. It does burn faster than the Virginia flakes I usually enjoy, but provides an adequate dose of vitamin N. As such it can be handy for a quicker smoke (all rather relative of course, and the pipe is fundamentally not adapted to the convenient rapid consumption of tobacco: in my view a good thing).

The flavour is mild, very sweet and pleasant. It is quite zesty in the beginning, with some citrus and new mown hay. As it progresses bready, creamy flavours like buttered tea cake appear. Towards the end of the bowl I do notice a slight harshness, perhaps its a nicotine tingle, but it can seem a tad harsh at the back of my throat. I don't remember this with the Murrays production, and it's interesting that the old Dunhill blurb recommended it for cases of "delicate throat". In any case this is strong Virginia tobacco and as such it isn't likely to cause tongue bite unless severely provoked. Smoke it gently to enjoy the flavours.

It's nice on a hot day, or a an early morning smoke to wake up the taste buds. If you are sensitive to nicotine have a hearty breakfast first.

This isn't a tobacco that I was particularly drawn to in the past, but it's pretty good and in the interests of research I'll probably try the Charatan replacement "Royal Escape", and report back.

update

I've found that the harshness I sometimes experienced at the end of the bowl doesn't occur in a pipe that's well broken in with good cake. Also, I'm finding this baccy quite delicious, in fact I think it's the best ribbon cut straight Virginia I've tried. As such I'm upgrading it to four stars.
Pipe Used: Northern Briars premier Liverpool
PurchasedFrom: Turmeus, Liverpool
Oct 30, 2013 Very Strong Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable
The casing is very light and pleasant. The cut is closer to shag than ribbon - a good thing for my pace and burn preference. This is a great smoke with a stout hit of nicotine. I get the same nicotine experience from Royal Yacht that I get from Fillmore but with more of a medium taste (I consider the taste of Fillmore to be "full").

11/07/13 - I'm changing my recommendation to 4 stars for the simple reason that I reach for this blend as often or more often than my existing favorites.
Apr 09, 2011 Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
I'm not going to go into a huge amount of detail here, that's been done by plenty of others. This seems to be an interesting side step for Dunhill, at least for me. Prior to trying this one most of my experience with Dunhill had been their English and flake items. Although I love the flake, I'm tired of English blends and more into blends that are devoid of Latakia and it's cousins. So Royal Yacht really hit the bullseye. I love Burley and VA/Burley blends and things with that Brit 'treacle' hint (the molasses/raisin thing) if done well. And this one I think uses that kind of casing/topping of wherever in the process it's applied. Doesn't matter. It's good in th pouch, handles well and easily, is quite tractable in the bowl and produces the magic trio (for me): a) it's easy to pack and light, b) it smokes with a wonderful flavor that is primarily a rich tobacco flavor that is enhanced with the added flavoring, and c) it behaves well with no bite, moderate Vit N hit and burns cleanly. That might be more than three. doesn't really matter. This is world class and a classic. (six stars)
Apr 18, 2006 Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
I recently started exploring aromatics again. Qualities I look for in a good aromatic are lack of bite, pleasant topping flavor that compliments tobacco flavor, and burning quality. One thing I miss in aromatics is that satisfying tobacco punch.

Royal Yacht has all those qualities. There is no mistaking this tobacco is topped. The flavor is in the neighbor hood of stewed fruit, fruit cake, and figs. I think one of the previous reviewers compared the taste to that of the filling found in fig newtons. Close enough.

You'll get a lot more from Royal Yacht than the taste of the topping - there's full, rich taste of Virginias too. It's not easy to tell where the taste of the tobacco stops and the flavoring starts, which to me means each of the flavors compliment one another. I especially appreciate the fact I can smoke this, enjoy VA flavor, and not worry about tongue bite.

If you've heard all the hype, and wonder how good or bad it can be, I recommend buying a tin and finding out for yourself. I wouldn't hesitate to encourage anyone to give this blend a try. Three stars.

**********UPDATE

I'm nearing the end of my tin and the exposure to air has only made this even better. The flavoring is a bit less pronounced after considerable time to breath, and the tradeoff is more of the tobacco flavor. I wouldn't necessarily recomend drying of the tobacco, but a week or two in a new container after opening the tin make a difference. In other words, its good right out of the tin, and just gets better from there. I've given my review a well deserved upgrad to four starts - highly recommended.

target="_blank"