Peterson The Royal Yacht

(3.00)
Truly a luxurious tobacco. Virginias are carefully conditioned to ensure sweetness. They are added to rich, heavier and cooler Virginias. A unique flavor is added to the final blend to enhance the subtle and piquant aroma.
Notes: Pure shade grown Virginias, very soft smoking, particularly recommended in cases of delicate throat. -1917 Lemon and bronze Virginia leaves are carefully conditioned and are added to rich heavy body Virginias, a unique flavour is added to the final blend. -1985 Formerly known as a Dunhill blend, it now sports the Peterson brand.

Details

Packaging 50 grams tin
Country Denmark
Production Currently available

Profile

Strength
Strong

Extremely Mild -> Overwhelming

None Detected -> Extra Strong

Unnoticeable -> Overwhelming
Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.00 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 21 - 30 of 49 Reviews
May 19, 2001 Overwhelming Extra Strong Overwhelming Strong
Dear manufacturers of Dunhill:

Please keep your drain cleaner in the cupboard under the sink, and don't use it to cure tobacco. Sodium hydroxide is very dangerous and does not taste good when used to cure chopped up rubberbands and the end product of porcine peristalsis.

A 360 kilo cat who is no fan of Royal Yacht
Mar 02, 2001 Very Strong None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable
This is one of the very worst tobaccos I've ever had the misfortune of filling a pipe with. It's got quite a bit of nicotine, or perhaps it was only the mix itself that was making me sick...
Feb 25, 2001 Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable
Royal Yack, like Erinmore, occupies a unique and legendary place in pipesmoking mythology. To pipesmokers,
these are the Jersey Devils - strange, mysterious, and rightfully feared. The Jersey Devil is a variant of the Bigfoot critter, and one of the
few that has ever had a history of aggressive violence towards humans. They don't just stroll past your shaking and upside down camera;
they run out and pounce on you and jump around on your head. Much like this tobacco. It was one of the few I've ever smoked which
actually made me physically nauseated. It's fun to recommend to new smokers, though, like trekking into the woods and convincing your
drunken buddy to go tickle the grizzly cubs...
Sep 12, 2017 Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong
First let me say, I have not found many Virginias that I enjoy. When I do find one, I really get into them. My usual diet of blends are usually Latakia or Burley. That said, I was excited to try this after letting it age for almost one year. Sorry to say to those that love it...but not for me. Found it extremely simple, which I think Virginia lovers appreciate. The mild casing did nothing for the tobacco. As far as the quality, packing, lighting and smoke...the usual excellence one would expect from Dunhill. One great thing about RY, is it does deliver nicotine...which I appreciate. Wife (who reviews all room note) did not like it.
Pipe Used: Ben Wades
Age When Smoked: One Year
Nov 19, 2016 Very Strong Mild Full Tolerable
Sometimes people refer to Presbyterian as having a farm-like tin note; I'd say that Royal Yacht has that tin note more than Presbyterian.

Royal Yacht is a Virginia based blend, but I'd swear there is Burley in it, simply because of what I think of as the "burley burn" that you get in your throat and mouth. Straight Virginias like Capstan Blue or Cut Virginia Plug I enjoy immensely, but I really didn't get anything of the usual Virginia sweetness here. The retro-hale through the nose was very strong and even the smoke stings the eyes.

In point of fact what I had was a taste of something strong, even harsh. The plum note I didn't pick up whatsoever, either in the taste or in the tin note.

The nic-kick was definitely there, and to be honest that's what I see this tobacco as: a nicotine delivery system, period. For me, if I want that and a bit more of an enjoyable smoke, I would much rather go the SG 1792 Flake route, which has that, but also something more pleasant about it. 1792 was strong but still has me wanting to get another tin, whereas Royal Yacht sits as another jar on the shelf that will take me some while to go through, or perhaps destined to be traded down the way.

C'est la vie. Was worth trying as one of those long-standing blends, but not one I'll find myself cellaring or re-stocking.
Dec 15, 2015 Medium to Strong Very Strong Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong
If you are lucky people that did enjoy the astonising Royal Yacht of yore don´t waste your money and don´t spoil your pipes with this nauseating zombi false revival.I can´t understand the danish smoking perception,they are able to make some of the best pipes in our planet and also to frame the most horrible parfumated,why to say aromatic?,tobaccos only useful for murdering these same briars.Call me fanatical but this is my very humble opinion.
Pipe Used: a lot of briars
PurchasedFrom: local tobacconist
Nov 11, 2012 Very Strong Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
This is not the same recipe, in terms of tin aroma and taste, than Murray's.

Also, the tobacco, on its own, is not as dark but the cut remains roughly the same, a combination of broken flakes and loose cut if my memory serves.

Strangely, the tin aroma reminds me of Peterson Sherlock Holmes (very nutty, hazelnut wise, in fact) and also a bit of Irish Whiskey, also from Peterson.

Now, I remember RY as having more of a fruity liquor aroma and taste that resembled 3 Year Matured Virginia, now out of production.

I did not agree with this tobacco. The roomnote was harsh, the taste was harsh, the strength just savagely unrefined (I was concerned with my stomach's reaction), and tasting and I could not wait to finish my pipeful.
Nov 20, 2011 Strong None Detected Very Full Strong
I'm a big fan of Dunhill Tobaccos, I've smoked a fair few different blends now. But upon smoking this, I realise that I just can't get on with Burley tobacco, in any blend I've tried. That's obviously NOT the blender's fault, but a point that I felt needed to be made. From now on, I shall not be smoking blends with Burley in them.
Sep 21, 2011 Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable
Well I don't know. All these reviewers can't be wrong so maybe I'm missing something.

Yes, the open tin aroma is superb ; as described in the blurb, figs & raisins.

However I find it tastless, lacking in character of any kind and as dull as ditchwater. It doesn't smell of anything.

I am halfway through the tin and it would seem these apparent subtelties in the smoke are lost on me.

Perhaps I need a new pipe....
Feb 14, 2009 Strong Extra Strong Overwhelming Strong
I really believe that this stuff is the remnants of Dunhill's pencil sharpeners. To me this doesn't taste at all like tobacco and I find it actually offensive. Perhaps the only blend from Dunhill that doesn't support their otherwise fine reputation.

target="_blank"