Peterson The Royal Yacht

(3.00)
Truly a luxurious tobacco. Virginias are carefully conditioned to ensure sweetness. They are added to rich, heavier and cooler Virginias. A unique flavor is added to the final blend to enhance the subtle and piquant aroma.
Notes: Pure shade grown Virginias, very soft smoking, particularly recommended in cases of delicate throat. -1917 Lemon and bronze Virginia leaves are carefully conditioned and are added to rich heavy body Virginias, a unique flavour is added to the final blend. -1985 Formerly known as a Dunhill blend, it now sports the Peterson brand.

Details

Packaging 50 grams tin
Country Denmark
Production Currently available

Profile

Strength
Strong

Extremely Mild -> Overwhelming

None Detected -> Extra Strong

Unnoticeable -> Overwhelming
Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.00 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 11 - 20 of 49 Reviews
Nov 26, 2019 Extremely Strong Mild Full Unnoticeable
Got this with some other Peterson Dunhills. The prospect of a mildly flavored aromatic was enticing but this blend is aweful. Tin note is pleasant but the taste is not for me. You don't really get any fruit in the mouth, just extremely strong tobacco. Maybe that's the part that I really don't like. I prefer English blends and don't mind heavy nic hits or strong flavors. This just doenst do it for me. Id rather just smoke Elizabethan or Nightcap. I wont be getting Royal Yacht again.
Pipe Used: Brigham
PurchasedFrom: Smokingpipes.com
Age When Smoked: New or less than a year old.
Dec 01, 2018 Strong Medium to Strong Overwhelming Extra Strong
The only thing going for this blend in my opinion, is the strong nicotine. I smoke a lot of stronger blends like lakeland flakes, with the world's strongest pipe tobacco. Gawith & Hoggarth dark flake, being the most prominent.

Royal Yacht is just bitter. The fruity top note, I believe plum (it tastes like sloe plums) only worsens the experience. Dark virginas are not my thing unless there is an additive to smoothen them out, such as clove oil or licorice. Adding bitter plums to an already bitter tobacco makes it taste bad.

Dunhill makes some of the finest pipe tobacco money can buy, and over two thirds of my tobacco stash are dunhill products. But the two tins of Royal Yacht will not be missed when they are gone, and I do not plan to smoke them, but give them to my neighbor who enjoys bitter tobacco.
Pipe Used: cobs
Jan 08, 2011 Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong
Upon opening, the eyes are teased with a relatively monochrome presentation of Virginia leaf. Sadly, the eyes can't behold the presentation for long; the "aroma" coming from the tin sets them quickly to watering. Or perhaps it is the sight of the maggots dancing among the leaves....

To me, the tobacco is a bit too moist upon opening. This is a tobacco that needs open time to breathe and air. I suggest doing this in a remote area. When I tried to air my tin inside the house my wife complained that the stench filling the house was far, far worse that a dozen cat litter boxes. I didn't take my gas mask off long enough to verify her statement, but my dogs running from the room gave indication. Once dried to a more appropriate level, I resealed the tin for a bit.

And then came the loading. The ready-rubbed leaf begins to show a bit of coloration, with some lighter and some darker golds and browns. (Here, I should throw in the warning that it is best to handle Royal Yacht while wearing gloves, kind of like when handling Habernero peppers, though the damage done to bare fingers by Haberneros is nothing as painful as from RY!!!) Thus, gloves protecting my hands I carefully stuffed the tobacco into a favorite Dunhill bulldog (which, as it happens, is the only bulldog to ever bite my hand for loading it!).

With the false light came some pretty amazing flavor! I was immediately drawn back into a deep, long-forgotten memory of my childhood. As a boy, I spent summers in Northeast Iowa on my cousins' farm. They raised cows, hogs, sheep and chicken, and the amazing draw of flavors of pigsty and sheep intestine rolled through my pipe and took me back to those now lost days. I could almost see my "Uncle" (really a cousin, but the age of my mother so I called him "Uncle") sitting on that old Ford tractor, the wheels dripping with pig shit, staring down at me as I hauled a bucket of slop to feed the sows, and remember how he used to laugh and say, "So, how's the feedin' comin', City Boy?"

But this is not a tobacco to just sip, as I do with most Virginias. Rather, to appreciate the full experience of Royal Yacht it is necessary to inhale. I mean take draws like you did on that bong 30 years ago in college kind of inhale. Draw the smoke into your lungs like an almost drowned man finally getting his first gasp of fresh air after crawling out of a sinking submarine whose hull ruptured 300 feet below the surface! And then, after exhaling, it happens:

My first vision was of Satan. He was sitting in a bright red seat of flames, somehow now where, moments before, had been the television, laughing his low, gutteral laugh, and telling me that my soul was now his. "NO!", I screamed, as I drew in another puff of this notorious weed. He smiled, and almost immediately was replaced in my vision by 70 dancing, naked virgins. Yet the flesh was not for me - these hags were 80 year-old virgins, having attained their chaste status through years of overeating, not washing, farting, and being just plain hiddeous! I set the pipe aside, walked to the living room, and poured a double shot of bourbon in hopes of driving the witches away.

Oh, those bitches left all right. And this, sadly, encouraged me to again lift and light the pipe. Once more, the relatively cool stream of smoke drew through the airway and invaded my mouth. Though not hot or acidic, the smoke still somehow burned away about 2 layers of tissue on my tongue. I would liken the experience to drinking a freshly opened bottle of lye, though at least the lye has an acceptable flavor. And with this draw the witches were replaced by diahrettic flying gorillas circling my head, propelled in their flight by the jet propulsion caused by their condition. I watched them circle over me, faster and faster, until they suddenly began hitting me in the head. Their fists were hard as rocks. My head shook. My neck flopped like a broken rubberband. Finally, I was overcome with pain and fear and passed out.

When I awakened, the tobacco, my pipe, and the table on which I had set the pipe, had all burned to a fine, gray ash. I found no dottle at all, though I was a bit troubled by having to clean up the charred hag and gorilla bones.

Highly recommended for Haggis fans, Masochists, and Pipestud.
Dec 14, 2020 Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable
I guess it's over.

A few years back I ordered a tin of Royal Yacht based on the substantially positive reviews. I expected a relatively high nicotine content with a background hint of plum or fig, maybe from perique, maybe not.

According to my notes I got nothing--a flavorless smoke without even a hint of nicotine. I shrugged, struggled to finish the tin and noted that I should try another tin later on the off chance I had gotten a bum one.

The relabeling of Royal Yacht to Peterson from Dunhill succeeded in tempting me into another purchase. I have now concluded that I did, in fact, NOT get a bum tin before. The results have been the same--no taste, no nicotine.

Although I have no notes to back it up, I believe I got more pleasure out of rabbit tobacco and corn silk (very long ago) than I have from Royal Yacht. Now I have to, somehow, endure the completion of this tin.

Never again.

Not recommended.
Pipe Used: various briars and cobs
Age When Smoked: fresh tin(s)
Nov 25, 2019 Extremely Strong Mild to Medium Very Full Tolerable to Strong
This blend is not not for the beginning pipe smoker. This is strong nicotine, in your face, make you shake nicotine. If you have been a meth head or cocaine addict and are trying to cut back, here’s your blend. This blend with a cup of coffee will set you right. I try this blend every so often as I have some stored in a mason jar from 2002. Every time I try it I remember why I don’t reach for it as often as my other tobaccos. To those who enjoy Royal Yacht, I salute you, but I’d rather smoke a tobacco that is more enjoyable.
Pipe Used: Ashton billiard.
Age When Smoked: 2002
Sep 07, 2015 Very Strong None Detected Full Tolerable
I bought a 5g sampler of this and glad I didn't invest in a whole tin...As it says in the previous review not one for a novice like me. A very strong and distinct flavour with a high hit straight from the off.

Think I'll leave it a couple of years before trying again and just stick to early morning pipe

Update. A couple of weeks later went back to this one, smoked it slower and managed to get a bit more "introduced"...back to backed it with some Dunhill nightcap which in my opinion I found less harsh! The yatch I found was Still giving some bite to my mouth though.
Pipe Used: Petersons half bent 316
PurchasedFrom: Mysmokingshop
Jul 20, 2013 Overwhelming Strong Extra Full Tolerable
This blend just happened to make me feel nauseated. Could not put my finger on the flavor component, other than to say it was dark and sweetish in a cloying way. Had to pull over and dump the bowl and toss the tin.
Jan 29, 2004 Medium to Strong Very Strong Medium to Full Very Strong
Got his tobacco this morning along with many others. I am off work for four days and plan on trying some new tobacco over this period.

The tobacco was presented in a rather blindingly gaudy tin which promised glad tidings within (what a disappointment), so far so good.

On opening the tin I was greeted by an aroma somewhere between rotten figs and gangrenous flesh. The tobacco looked like poor quality tea, and definately not what I expected from a Dunhill blend. (I worship Dunhill Navy Rolls)

I rumaged for my test pipe, ie one that I could burn should this foul weed invade it to the core (which it did)

The tobacco lit easily, but giving a damp musty taste, giving the aroma of rotten meat and figs with an even greater intensity. I continued through the urge to vomit violently.

Could only get half through the bowl before having to reach for the antiemetic medicine.

Sorry this tobacco is in a league of it's own, it redefines the meaning of vileness, it is foul, foul weed indeed. I cannot comprehend getting any satisfaction from this ship in the future.

As I have heard the Royal Yacht Britannia in the UK has been abandoned, can I suggest that lovers of good tobacco abondon this one.

Good enough for the American market I suppose.

Yes I did burn the test pipe. Yuch!

If you smoke this tobacco all I can say is.....I pity you LOSERS!
Jul 26, 2003 Overwhelming None Detected Medium to Full Unnoticeable
On the tin of Royal Yach it says, "A Unique Smoking Mixture." I agree wholeheartedly. What other mixture makes you want to chew off your own arm for ever reaching for the tin?

The line "exceedingly mild" is clearly someone at Dunhill's idea of a sick joke. "No that's not Wasabi,(chortle) it's avacado. Take a big bite now!" The nicotine in this mix would make Peter O Toole swoon.

Pros: If I wanted to smoke myself to a slow painful death I'd use this mix.
Apr 22, 2003 Extremely Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Strong
I am not a sheep. I do not follow the crowd. Never have, never will. I like to make up my own mind. So when I heard about this blend and the extreme positions that were held about it, I knew that I had to try it.

And I did try it. I really did. I tried it fresh out of the tin. I tried it a week later and I tried it several months later. I tried it in little bowls and larger bowls. I tried it in a box and with a fox and...I will not smoke this here or there I will not smoke it anywhere. I do not like this Royal Yacht, I will not smoke this, I will not.

This is the one tobacco that I have tried that made me physically ill. Not because of the nicotine strength, which I found very enjoyable, but because it was actually nauseating. My stomach did flips and gurgled and I felt like I had indigestion. Several times after smoking this I had to take an ant-acid.

Really there is only one other thing I can compare this to. When I was living in Micronesia I was in a situation in which I was more or less forced into eating a fruit bat. It was boiled in coconut milk and served with the little leathery wing hanging out of the bowl. To eat any of the meat you had to gnaw around the shoulder bone and since they didn't remove any of the fur, the grease painted your upper lip and the aroma was simply overwhelming; a cross between hot fat, coconut candy and a rat.

Smoking Royal Yacht is a similar experience.

target="_blank"