Peterson The Royal Yacht

(3.00)
Truly a luxurious tobacco. Virginias are carefully conditioned to ensure sweetness. They are added to rich, heavier and cooler Virginias. A unique flavor is added to the final blend to enhance the subtle and piquant aroma.
Notes: Pure shade grown Virginias, very soft smoking, particularly recommended in cases of delicate throat. -1917 Lemon and bronze Virginia leaves are carefully conditioned and are added to rich heavy body Virginias, a unique flavour is added to the final blend. -1985 Formerly known as a Dunhill blend, it now sports the Peterson brand.

Details

Packaging 50 grams tin
Country Denmark
Production Currently available

Profile

Strength
Strong

Extremely Mild -> Overwhelming

None Detected -> Extra Strong

Unnoticeable -> Overwhelming
Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.00 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 171 - 180 of 180 Reviews
Jun 29, 2021 Strong Very Mild Medium Pleasant
This revision is based on two Dunhill era tins and different ages, implying different characteristics.

5 years (2017): The smell in its tin is very pleasant, and it seems that the plum shell is already slightly noticeable. The humidity level is very correct to immediately load the pipe from the tin. Although it has already been said by several reviewers here, it can be a guide for those who have not tried it and want a reference, to insist that it has a coverage similar to that of Peterson's University Flake, although the overall taste is different and RY is smoother and the light coating does not cancel out the flavor of the rich virginia. In fact, its "aromatic" rating can be misleading. Burns at a rate half rung faster than average. It is convenient to smoke it slowly so that the flavor is not lost and that way it produces a fresh, rich and very satisfactory smoke. I also want to highlight its high satiating power.

I would like to add that it comes with moisture levels that lean to the low side, so it can get dry if you don't smoke it immediately after opening the tin. It may be that the type of cut so fine also collaborates in this matter. But this is not a problem, since it can be re-moistened, even several times, without losing any of its organoleptic qualities. What's more, I have the feeling that it even favors him...

I was very lucky to get two tin of the Dunhill version of this mixture in a Madrid tobacco shop, with some years of aging, and the truth is that it has not disappointed me at all. When I run out I'll try Peterson's version.

02/20/2022: 11 years (2010). I have smoked a few more tins of this tobacco (also the Dunhill version) and it has served to continue confirming its high quality. In a tin aged for eleven years, I couldn't catch the plum carcass.

Many times (especially when I've reached the middle of the bowl), I get notes that are clearly from Burley, plus the lump-in-the-throat sensation that this ingredient sometimes produces, and a higher nicotinic strength than Virginian tobacco usually has, and I have seen this issue discussed here, and for almost the entire smoke, Cavendish.. For more details on this interesting topic I recommend you to consult the other reviews. But that's not all, because the plum coverage was much less in this older tin. These variations give you the feeling that they were different tobaccos. The funny thing is that I have quite a clear memory of the previous tin I smoked recently (5 years old), so it's not a memory problem. Although it is true that the years can attenuate the coverage of aromatic tobaccos quite a bit, I am quite sure that six more years of storage could not have caused the differences described. I have learned that if I smoke the same manufactured tobacco in different years, substantial differences can be noticed. Fortunately, in my particular experience with Royal Yacht, “different” is not synonymous with “worse”, and I have been able to really enjoy the two tobaccos...
Age When Smoked: 5 and 11 years
Dec 13, 2018 Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable to Strong
This review is based on aged tins of the Murray's, the Orlik version & original Dunhill blends acquired from Pipestud's Consignment Shop dating back to the early 70s. I'll be reviewing the Mac Baren's version in the last paragraph in the near future as I have not as yet sampled it. OK... The older, well aged Dunhill tin aroma reeks of fermented black currant & maybe a very feint chocolate top note. The strands have turned a deep dark purple in color. This is very tasty & my favorite thus far out of about fifty quality blends sampled to date.

The fifteen year old Murray's version is also exceptional and this thirty year old tin of the original Dunhill blend is beyond that. The older stuff smoked smoother but both versions are almost identical. The strength was about the same but age from the original blend facilitates its alluring & flavorful quality. The writing on the tin states: "Exceedingly mild with a grand rich flavor." It is that but also packs a nicotine punch. Good tobacco flavor comes through from top shelf leaf. I reach for this when I want complete & total satisfaction from a smoke session.

I try to keep a tin within arm's length at all times. Royal Yacht doesn't bite in the least & can be sipped for excellent flavor or drawn exceedingly with equally satisfying results. I'm presently enjoying a bowl that just came from a twenty-five year old tin. Still plenty of moisture with tiny sugar crystals clinging to the leaf & sparkling in the light. Truly a remarkable concoction. Dunhill's Royal Yacht traverses the bounding main with strength & stability & wins the Blue Ribbon. If you're after strength plus flavor, go sailing on the Royal Yacht. This blend merits a four star + rating. Sampled from a 2S Dunhill Shell Briar & a size two Stanwell.

I purchased an Orlik version of Royal Yacht when they first hit the market. I was excited that my favorite tobacco was readily available once again. I wasn't as thrilled about the newer version but then again, it was new with only one year of age when purchased and didn't seem quite as strong but still gave a pretty fair nicotine blast. I still like the Royal Yacht made by Orlik & will be adding it to my cellar. It was not as dark as the aged tins of the Murray blends I'd been smoking & the RY never evoked much of a tin aroma other than a Virginia mixture.

I have recently purchased a five year, aged roll of the Mac Baren's version & will add my evaluation to this review once sampled. I'm looking forward to this as it will be the first RY tin sampled by me in over five years... stay tuned!
Pipe Used: 2S Dunhill Shell Briar
PurchasedFrom: P & C & Pipestud's Consignment Shop
Age When Smoked: 1, 10, 15, 25 & 30 + years
Oct 29, 2012 Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
I first received a sample of this a few years back but didn't try it until a few months ago. I believe it was Murray's and a lovely smoke indeed. But this review is on the current version blended Orlik. Since I enjoyed the sample so much I recently purchased a tin of the newer version with no aging, and the first thing I noticed was the cut of the tobacco was a lot finer than the Murray's blend. Also, the color was much brighter than the almost black VA's in the older version. At this point I felt a bit of disappointment before even lighting it up because it looked completely different in smell and tobacco cut; however, upon lighting it I was completely taken back by the heavy does of smoke. The finer cut of tobacco allows you to barely puff on it to get a nice dose of smoke and strong flavor. I actually like it more than the Murray's version, consisting of a slight vanilla and coffee flavor that doesn't overpower the superb Va's in the blend. A great smoke that should be puffed on slowly like any straight Va as it can get hot.
Apr 03, 2012 Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant
I like this blend. It have a good stuff of vitamin N, a half bowl ll solve your problems :). Its not like other aromatics, this aroma is like natural blends, its hard to count it as aromatics IMO. I ll buy it again.
Jan 13, 2012 Strong None Detected Full Tolerable
Dunhill Royal Yacht is top quality, strong, ribbon cut Virginia. I have never detected the alleged added flavouring. This is a beautiful, straight and seductive tobacco perfect for either a quick smoke or long contemplative sipping. I don't rub it out and I don't dry it. For me it's perfect – with a gentle pulling apart - straight from the tin. Indeed, I suggest that you don't let it dry out.

Royal Yacht has quickly become my tobacco of choice. Very highly recommended to those aficionados who seek exceptional, classic Virginia blends.
Nov 17, 2011 Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant
Fresh out of the tin - tastes very similar to Orlick Golden Sliced with some kind of mild topping. The tin note is fabulous, like plumcake soaked in brandy, with cocoa on top, but you know how tin note promises can be. Smoked a half dozen (bland) bowls and then put the tin back on the shelf for a couple of weeks while I finished off some Opening Night and waited for The Best Brown Flake to arrive by mail. Opening Night went off to bed and Best Brown must have taken the QMII, so I pulled out RY to tide me over on a night shift. It had gotten a bit crisp but still had a nice tin note. Lit it up and (drumrole and orchestral crescendo, please) Rule Britannia! Britania rules the waves! Promises repaid in spades! She be damn yar, this one. Update: Fresh tin, and a new large bowled Nording Classics Billiard - The flavors are much more noticeable in this wide mouthed bowl - can't put my finger on it - the room note is - childhood memories flooding back - that's it! - SPICE DROPS! - cardomom, wintergreen and anise spice drops.
Jan 26, 2011 Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
This is really the first 'quality' tobacco I have tried. A rich, chocolatey flavour yet, as another reviewer has pointed out, with a deceptively gentle kick. A bowl of this will certainly set me up for half the day. This one seems to be particularly well suited to an old Peterson Kildare of mine. On a three pipe day - this is my favourite second smoke of the day.

Update 28th January 2011 - I bought a 1969 Peterson Silver Sterling today off of a brilliant pipe restorer (and new best friend!) who gave me a 10 year old tin of Royal Yacht as a gift! This is a Murray and Sons blend. The fermented blackcurrant smell upon opening the tin gave me pause to wonder what kind of a smoke I was in for but - I'm puffing it in my Peterson Kildare as I type - it is every bit as delicious as the new tin I bought the other day but with an even smoother chocolatey flavour and more pronounced fig/raisin richness, milder overall taste, steady cool burn. This tin is definitely one for special occasions. In fact so delighted am I with it that I shall be using the ashes from this smoke, with some very fine Acacia honey to recake my restored Silver Sterling!

Update 1 hour later: Still chugging through first bowl of the ten year old RY (see above) and I am completely spaced out. The last thing he told me when he gave me this tin was - you might want to take it easy with this stuff..Heh heh. Hmmm...
Jan 22, 2011 Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
I started smoking a pipe young two years after I joined the Navy so that makes it 12 years now. I was upset when they stop making the Dunhill blends, glad their back! This mix has an not so appealing tin sent but when you pack your favorite briar and get a couple puffs in you won't be able to put it down. All and all coming from a Salty Dog take a Sail on The Royal Yacht
Dec 06, 2010 Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
I have been smoking the Murray's and Orlik versions to better get a read on this. I find the Orlik version to be the better. Orlik took down the flavoring a bit allowing more of the virginia sweetness to come through while maintaining a good nicotine level. The Orlik version is also a lot smoother, my quess is superior leaf. A keeper for sure.
Nov 17, 2010 Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant
Love this blend! It's great with a cup of English tea or a nice cup of hot black coffee in the morning...really gets you going. I have several tins from the old days left and hope it'll be back in the U.S. before I run out. (I've read on this site reviews that say the new Dunhill blends are better...I hope that's the case.) BTW...my wife really likes the aroma...I can smoke it the house!

target="_blank"