Peterson Nutty Cut

(2.72)
A mixture of golden, red and dark Virginia tobaccos blended with burley and black cavendish. Enhanced with flavourings of Macadamia nuts, coconut and rum.
Notes: Due to EU regulations, this is renamed and sold in those countries as "Special Cut".

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

2.72 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 61 - 70 of 72 Reviews
May 15, 2018 Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant
I will declare from the outset, I'm not really a fan of aromatics. I bought this on a whim and without research just by way of a change - my all day smoke is another Peterson, Balkan Delight. The tin note is rich and sweet. The tobacco was dry on opening and reminded me a little of fish food flakes. And the taste.... It took me a third of a 50g tin before I discerned any nuttiness. The first few bowls were all just fruity sweet and nothing much more. But it is a superior aromatic, gets better once the sweetness has levelled off, stays well lit after ignition (and I had almost no tongue bite), and all in all it's inoffensive - to the point that if I were to want an occasional aromatic in my rotation I might get another tin.
Pipe Used: Choquin Ventose
PurchasedFrom: Derby
Age When Smoked: From tin
Dec 16, 2017 Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant
If you're not looking for a full-blown sweet-tooth aromatic but something with mild or at least not candy-like flavouring, look elsewhere. I was looking for something with the minor and non-sweet flavouring that for example 1792 or one off the various cocoa-cased burleys where the tobacco flavour is the major player. This did not fulfill those criteria. And shame on me, it doesn't claim to fulfill them. I suspect this tin will sit on my shelf untouched for a long time, but that doesn't make it bad for everyone.

Tin note is very strong, sweet and candy-like. A rather artificial and unpleasant scent in my opinion. This does not necessarily mean that the casings or top flavourings themselves are off poor quality. I know for a fact from mixing my own perfumes with essential oils that high quality substances that aren't mixed in a good way can smell in a way that most would describe as "artificial".

But this is not a perfume. Unpleasant tin-note is irrelevant, the smokeability and taste is what matters (and to a lesser degree room note)

The natural tobacco flavour is there but takes a back seat. The burley in is particularly noticeable and the nuttiness going along well with the toppings & casings. You can't always fully tell them apart which is a good sign imo. There are clear coconut notes throughout the smoke. The sweetness is more along the lines off caramel & brown sugar rather than syrupy or artificial. My tastebuds tell me that some aromatic topping sauce use corn syrup which produces an unnatural and aggressive sweetness that I dislike, Vauens aromatics for example. I could be completely wrong here, both on corn syrup being used at all and the contents off the sauce in this blend, but what I can say is that the sweetness tastes very natural, caramellish and yummy. And that there is LOTS of sweetness here.

The taste doesn't really develop, it stays the same. Not alot off body or strength. Fairly easy to keep lit and burns rather well, there will be some dottle and moisture left unless you smoke at a snails pace, but it's not really a problem although the burning characteristics could be better. There doesn't seem to be any propylene glycol in here (it wouldn't dry as quickly as it does if it had PG)

Closest and best way I can describe the taste off this blend is like a snickers bar with coco sprinkled on top.

I actually left this out to dry to try to decrease the flavours from the toppings, then rehydrated with water, and redid the process a few times. I waited a few days after the last rehydration to let the tobacco fully soak up the moisture. I liked it much better that way, it brought out the subdued tobacco flavours that you couldn't tell was there with the all the strong toppings. The tobacco itself is off high quality as far as I can tell, they didn't pick out bad leaf and have it not matter by drowning out the taste with sauce. Some blenders seem to do this, for example the only non-top quality VA I've ever smoked from Samuel Gawith was Beginner's Luck 2. And to be fair on blenders who (seem to) do that, if the smoker isn't looking for tobacco flavour but cherry/vanilla/chocolate etc and the tobacco taste is to be subdued anyway, why use top-shelf tobacco?

Anyway, Peterson didn't do that with this blend and I am surely glad they didn't considering how enjoyable I found the blend after I had done my dry up & rehydrate process.

Highly recommended for aromatic lovers, not so much for others. Although I CAN see connoiseurs off sweet VA flakes looking for a change off pace enjoying this a great deal IF you dry it out & rehydrate it a few times like I did.
Pipe Used: Meer, briar, cobs
Age When Smoked: 27
Jan 14, 2017 Medium to Strong Mild Mild to Medium Very Strong
Boy you gotta sip this blend to truly enjoy it. It will bite like a bulldog if you do not take it slow and even then you could get some bite. Great tin note. The room note is outstanding. Lots of... nutty smells. You also get some nutty flavor but sadly only some I wanted more!! If it could taste as great as it smells it would be 20 stars for me. It is a great evening smoke to savor over a long period of time. I suggest you smoke in a larger bowl as this blend tends to get a little hot and does not do well in a smallish type bowl as the heat just kills the flavor. I am not a big fan of Danish aromatics as they never seem to want to put in Latakia which I seem to gravitate too. All in all it is a great aromatic.

I mixed a little Latakia with this blend and it really perked it up. Now I have a smoky nutty flavor. It's like the Latakia brought out more of the nutty flavor. I think I will name it......."hot nuts". Just taste so damn good now. Sweet smoky nutty flavor. Oh man this is awesome. I put a quarter of a ounce with five tins of nutty cut. This appears to be just the right mix to make a really great aromatic/English blend. I have about seven ounces of Syrian Latakia left so I have about a years worth of great and awesome smokes.
Pipe Used: Jons Dublin
PurchasedFrom: Smoking pipes
Age When Smoked: Months
Oct 07, 2015 Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
open the pack can smell good rough cut, bit dry easy pack & light taste good in my mouth, not to mild, not too strong easy burn with no or minimal relighg

update: after few bowls, I found this is one of aroma blend that pleasure to smoke. best to smoke with bigger diameter bowl pipe. perfect with beer 🙂

Pipe Used: Apple Bent (unknown brand)
PurchasedFrom: local shop
Age When Smoked: New in pack
May 11, 2015 Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
At first , i hated it. I was let down that the sweet smell didn't translate to the taste. I think this is a cross between an aromatic and something with a little more of a grown up vibe , it takes a wee bit of getting used to - smoked slow it burns well and has not too bad a nicotine hit with that hit of .... nuts ! . A tobacco for an odd indecisive evening.
May 08, 2015 Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
I am surprised to see only a 3:1 ratio of positive reviews. I fancy myself a tobacco purist snob -- but ever in search of the "do-able" aromatic. This fills the bill admirably. Nice natural tobacco taste, with a distinct nutty flavor, and no artificiality so typical of most aromatics (especially OTC aros.) No problems with lighting, burning, bite or moisture. Delightful smoke when you get the itch for something sweeter and nuttier than can be found naturally.
Pipe Used: GBD squat bulldog
PurchasedFrom: Pipes&Cigars.com
Age When Smoked: unk
Mar 25, 2015 Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant
This is an excellent flavored mixture. Sweet, palatable, particular, never boring, always present during the smoking. The casing is a natural casing, without chemical additives, but don’t forget it is always a flavored mixture and if you like natural tobaccos this is not the best choise. Nevertheless if you are an aromatic tobaccos’ lover this is a very good choise. Peterson, respecting tradition. In my personal system rating (from 1 to 10) my score is 8 and three stars.
Nov 12, 2014 Medium Strong Medium Very Pleasant
Thought I would give this tabacco a try and how glad I am that I did. A cool smoke. I could taste the macadadamia nuts and rum as I smoked my pipe. A hint of coconut just seductively teasing my tastebuds. At the grand finale of my last bit of tabacco,merely tantalished by this wonderful smoke. Not too hot just perfect. The roommate smelt amazing.
Pipe Used: Dunhill
PurchasedFrom: Barbers. Otley. UK
Age When Smoked: My age or the pipe?
Sep 23, 2014 Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant
I bought this from the tobacconist simply because they didn't have the Irish Flake and wanted to give another Peterson Tobacco a try. When I got home and opened the tin I was extremely surprised (in a good way) by the flavor this tobacco has. Doesn't seem at all artificial, just good, clean, aromatic tobacco with a hint of a nutty mixture. The room note for this one is astonishing, therefore I think a 4/4 is well deserved for an excellent aromatic.
Pipe Used: Danske Club 84
PurchasedFrom: tobaccoshop
Age When Smoked: fresh from tin
Aug 20, 2014 Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant
Yes indeed, I have finally found my main smoke! This blend is a smooth, creamy and delicious, experience. Takes me to the islands , )
Pipe Used: Peterson pipe of the year 2012