Peterson Elizabethan Mixture

(3.04)
Notes: Elizabethan Mixture was launched by Dunhill and made in London until production was transferred to sister company Murray and Sons in 1981. It was made in Belfast until new owners BAT closed the Murray factory in 2005. Dunhill's Elizabethan combines pressed, darkened Virginias with a dose of perique (all ribbon-cut) to create an easy-to-enjoy blend with a tangy character and a bit of pepper spice. Elizabethan has been made since its 2013 reintroduction by STG after being unavailable since 2005, firstly under the Dunhill brand and now as a Peterson product after Dunhill withdrew their brand from the pipe tobacco market.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.04 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 1 - 10 of 55 Reviews
Jun 28, 2014 Medium None Detected Medium Unnoticeable
As this is my 50th review, I wanted to pick a toby that I found special, with some history, reborn after a period of time-thereby lending credence to the boom that pipe smoking is enjoying. There have been several from which to choose, but I pulled out my tin of EM as Dunhill has given me many a good puff to date. Not so much with this VaPer though, I am sorry to report.

The initial tin note had a date-apricot bready note, with strong Va tones, without any hayish grassy scents I have come to appreciate in VaPers. Quality ribbon cut, but a tad dryer than I am used to from Dunny. That dryness resulted in easy lights, minimal relights.

The problem I experienced was in the taste, as well as the bite. There was no Va sweetness, negligible interaction with Perique, and a generally harshness to it that I could not shake. It utterly failed to alter in taste in multiple cobs, as well as varying sizes of dedicated briars...all I tasted was harshness.

And the bite was always hovering on my palate. This despite my concentrating on slow methodical sipping, so much so that I fatigued from the experience bowl after fatiguing bowl. Packing it in loosely have the least offensive results, if only because it took less time to sip through.

Not a total loss though, it'll go into my 24 oz. decanter where I keep my ever-changing "amnesia blend", where many lesser baccys have come together for some remarkable smoke.

With all the great reviews, don't let this deter you, but I have other Vapers cellaring that far exceed this blend-according to my taste (Escudo & La. Flake).

Still love my Dunhill moments though, just not with Elizabeth it seems.
Pipe Used: Cobs and Briars galore
PurchasedFrom: pipesandcigars.com
Age When Smoked: 1 year?
Aug 12, 2018 Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
After all the positive reviews and video logs I really wanted to like this one esp being a big Dunhill fan...

As usual with most Dunhill tobaccos the Ribbon/shag cut? tobacco comes out of the tin with the perfect amount of moisture, packs and lights with minimum effort and stays lit beautifully but here's the but!

To quote the film 'Big' I didn't really get it? The perique never really tickled my senses the Virginia never took much to the party and it all came out a bit 'Cavendish-esque'...On top of this a very Ashy taste developed for the majority of the 2nd half of the bowl. The variables in this review are...it was smoked fresh out of the tin (even though the tin had been cellared for 3 yrs). The majority of the tin was smoked during the biggest heatwave in the UK in 30 yrs. And also I had been smoking a few different blends over the past few days so maybe my palate wasn't the sharpest.

So the tin has been decanted into a jar and I'll try again on a clean palate on a cooler day...An update will follow but as stands Its by no means a bad tobacco but is also a long way from being a great one.
Pipe Used: Falcon, 1/4 bent Cromer, Meerscaum
Age When Smoked: 3 yrs
May 28, 2021 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable
I was quite honestly disappointed with this blend. I found it to be a somewhat grassy, slightly sweet, middle of the road VAPer. You may accuse me of sacrilege but I actually preferred the Sutliff Match Elizabethan. Peterson's Elizabethan simply tastes too young - it doesn't yet have the full body of the component virginias nor much in the way of figgy tartness or peppery spice from the perique. There are plenty of bulk blends which do the job far cheaper, so personally I'll just stock up on those instead. Two and a half stars, because it isn't terrible. I just expected something more.
Pipe Used: Neerup classic, Viprati lovat
Feb 24, 2018 Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
I'm an almost exclusive Virginia/perique smoker... for reviewing purposes, this may give me a slight bias towards certain styles of va/per... I have to say, from my perspective Elizabethan is good but not great... it's kind of bland, in fact at times, for me... not to say it isn't a quality smoke... you do get everything you would expect... hay, figs, spice, touch of vinegar maybe... all nice notes.. it just really doesn't blow my mind as I was expecting it to from reviews. I like it.. but I don't love it.. slightly hollow in my opinion.. maybe I also have a bias towards flakes vs ribbon.. I like a little extra flavor punch which may come from the processing. I also suspect about 5 years of aging would improve this a great deal- so that's my plan... 2.5 stars rounded up to 3 cause it is quality tobacco.

Afterthought... there is something very upfront and nearly cigarish about the tin I bought.. not a criticism necessarily.. but I'd like to revisit this one when I pop the next tin in about 5 years... I bet it will be more subdued and gorgeous .. I know that seems contradictory to my review- but I feel that true flavor has subtlety and nuance..when I say hollow I mean it's big but lacking in someting.. needs age in my opinion

Update.. given this several chances.. high quality, but as others have said- kinda flat.. deducting a star.. some people love it.. not for me.
Oct 11, 2020 Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Strong
This came as a strong recommendation from a member of the YTPC who may or may not talk about stuff and, occasionally, even things.

I used to smoke cigarettes which my wife despised the smell of when lit and when I’d finished. I stopped smoking for a while and agreed that the car, and indeed the house, smelt like a dockers armpit because of the tobacco stink. We negotiated and decided that I could smoke some pipe blends, as long as they were pleasantly scented and didn’t stink the whole house out and the wife came up with a three tiered “acceptance policy” of which 1) is allowed to be smoked indoors, downstairs, 2) had to be smoked in the bathroom with some form of incense burning and 3) has to be smoked outside at the bottom of the garden, preferably in the next county and she doesn’t want to see me for half an hour after the whole thing has been smoked.

Lizzy’s mix comes in at a 3 to a 3.5 on the acceptance policy.

I smoked a bowl one Friday night when she had gone away; I got the fire going, put my feet up and smoke the backside off several pipes while watching Withnail and I - all was right with the world until lunchtime on the Sunday when she came back in a whirlwind of opening windows and spraying Fabreze around the place like it was half priced pepper spray in the middle of a riot.

That cat and I were sent to Coventry while she stripped and made beds, washed the life out of everything that would go in the washing machine and came up with some amusing, if slightly worrying, industrial language that I hadn’t heard before.

Needless to say, this now lives in a jar in the shed and I am only allowed to smoke it on the outer rings of Saturn.

The blend’s not bad but it does taste and smoke like a tab. The smell lingers and gets everywhere.

I know some people will say “I smoke what I want, when I want and where I want! I couldn’t give a tinker’s cuss what anybody says!” but these people are probably divorced because of their choice of tobacco and lack of appreciation that the wife doesn’t “want to go to the hairdressers smelling like a dockers armpit!”

Anyway, thanks for listening Dear Deidre - happy pipes men.
Aug 11, 2020 Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable
VaPer's are hit or miss for me as on occasion Perique taste like spoiled burley... as fermented burley will... lol. I guess I'm sensitive to it. This one didn't connect with me. The after-taste didn't sit well with me at all. I thought I'd like it due to the low percentage of Perique. Nope. Bit of a cigarette taste and it burned fast. The Virginias were nice with mildly mature notes, more dark than grassy. I could detect the Perique all the way through with mild dark fruit and pepper notes. Sounds good but after a bit the Perique developed a cloying aspect for me. That went on into the after-taste. It was lengthy and pronounced. Like a sickly sweet port flavor deep in the lining of my mouth. Not for me.
Oct 08, 2018 Mild Mild Mild Unnoticeable
I had a tin of this so long ago that I think I am having false memories. I expected the tin note to be more fragrant and for it to smoke a little bit spicier. I think a lot though may have to do with my age, lack of sense of smell and taste rather than the tobacco itself. None the less, for me this one had a mild sweet hay scent from the tin and smoked exceptionally mild and smooth. Too mild and smooth I may add. I have almost finished a tin of this and I just do not get any ‘wow’ factor whatsoever. I think I will need to revisit this one but for now I can only give it a 2 star. Update: 9-4-21. I finally opened my one tin of this that I bought back in December of 1998. Almost 23 years ago I bought this when I was 39, tomorrow I will be 62. This tobacco was near perfect out of the tin with the fabled plume and tasted excellent. I shared this with some friends of mine at the pipe club and all enjoyed it.
Pipe Used: Chacom Volcano
Jan 07, 2016 Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable
There are a few of the new crop of Dunhill blends that I like as much as I always have. This isn't one of them. Leaving aside the question of new vs. old, the present day Elizabethan I find flat, uninspired, and uninspiring. There are far too many VaPers that are leagues better than this for me bother with it any more.

Too bad...
Aug 08, 2014 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable
I loaded the pipe straight from the tin, it may have been a bit moist. It lit and burned well, although I had to relight about every 1/3 bowl. It probably would have burned better if I had dried it some before packing the pipe. The tin note was mild, slightly fruity plum? It was a very mild smoke. A bit of the Perique spice peeked out at about the half way point. Overall, nothing overwhelming, just a solid tobacco smoke.

Tried this again in a vintage "Flying Disc" briar pipe. The tobacco was a bit drier and smoked all the way to the bottom with no relights. The experience was similar, muted creamy vanilla/fruit sweetness with a touch of Perique spice. Still not a favorite for me. Peter Stokkeby Luxury Flake was similar although a bit more harsh. I would smoke Elizabethan Mixture before the Luxury Flake, but would prefer a more aromatic tobacco myself.
Pipe Used: LHS Stearncrest #266 Author&Vintage "Flying Disc"
Jun 08, 2022 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable
Subtle and understated, almost too much so. Just a hint of spice and plum in the background. The sweetness is mild, not overbearing. Easy to pack right out of the tin, burns true. Unfortunately, for me at least, the muted spice and sweetness are struggling to emerge from a prominent ashy, cigarette taste.

target="_blank"