Dunhill Durbar

(3.21)
This blend contains a high proportion of Oriental leaf, Virginia and latakia. It is a broad cut mixture, giving rich body, but has a slow rate of burn and is medium in strength.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.21 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 71 - 80 of 120 Reviews
Aug 24, 2007 Strong None Detected Full Strong
I don't know about this one...

Quite strong in taste, almost tongue biting because of the strength, despite the fact that there was not that much Latakia. Huge nicotine kick.

Very high quality leaf, of course - it's Dunhill!

Just felt like there was a shitload of Périque in there, cause I can't see where the strength would come from.

If you like very strong English mixtures, knock yourself out!
Jul 13, 2007 Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable
Because I favor VA/Oriental blends that are more oriental and less latakia, e.g. Old Perth, Red Rapparee, Aperitif, I gave this a whirl. The tin was made in the U.K. without EU markings, so I believe this to be the original, non-Orlik blend.

Tin notes are rich with orientals and supporting latakia. First 1/3 bowl is mostly medium-bodied virginia, with hints of the orientals and latakia. By mid-bowl the orientals and lat become much more prominent, but never drown the virginia. Bottom of the bowl is mildly sweet and smoky with a fine, powdery grey ash.

The orientals in these blends can be either herbal/woody in or cigar-like in character. Durbar takes the latter route.

The smoke is rich in body with well-integrated flavors and smooth, maybe too much so for my tastes. I like a little spice and texture. None of the varietals stand out in character. It is a good smoke and tasty, but not one which requires a lot of attention to nuances. It's like a meal at a fancy, but staid restaurant. the ingredients are top-notch,the food excellently prepared and tasty, but you can get others like it elsewhere.

I would consider including this in my rotation as a very competent alternative. Too bad it has gone the way of the dodo. I'll have to pick up a few more tins for later smoking or trade.

Smoked out of an Ardor Ninfea briar calabash and an Andreas Bauer gourd calabash.
Feb 26, 2007 Very Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable
As with my review of Elizabethan Mix, I'm not old enough to have experienced any older versions of Durbar. Regardless, this is a tobacco that is not for the faint of heart. If you are an aromatic smoker who is thinking of making the transition to English blends, don't go for this one for some time. It has a great deal of flavor, and the Latakia does most of the talking. This is a very heady blend that punches fast and hard, sometimes too fast and too hard, which is why I'm only giving it 2 stars. It has very smoky, woodsy, musty sort of flavor; I seem to reach for it nights in the dead of January when it is cold, dark, and stormy. Durbar is a blend that belongs with a fire and smoking jacket.
Jan 16, 2007 Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable
A so-so blend that was discontinued by Dunhill very recently. If you are a devotee of this blend, I recommend that you start stocking up, if you can find it. Alternatively, try Dunhill's excellent Mixture 965 or London Mixture. While neither of the aforementioned contain Oriental, IMHO I never noticed the presence in Durbar.
Oct 26, 2006 Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong
VERY TYPICAL TO ALL DUNHILLS, LEATHER, SOUR, SOMEWHAT SWEET

Dunhill is quality, not my favorite, with skill and/or imagination this can have a sweet side. I still prefer EMP.
Sep 21, 2006 Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable
I really thought I wouldn't add to the already mile-high pile of Dunhill reviews,(even though I've tried some of the usual blends, with the usual results). But I do partially enjoy this pipeful, only because it IS cut with Orientals. It allows changes and mellowness throughout the smoke, keeping some of the hide-tanning solution in the distance. It does finish rather rough, but some folks go for that kinda ride. I still have yet to find better than Pres. Mix. for my Brit fix.
Aug 20, 2006 Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong
It's been a while since I've lit this one up, but I remember it well. One of the best Dunhill blends. Stronger than Nightcap or Royal Yacht in nicotine. That may have been a fluke since I only smoked 50 grams of it and there's no telling who the blender was.

Anyway, the oriental tilt of this blend is great. It's got a lot going on as the bowl burns. This blend does require careful attention, just because, as far a Dunhill blends go, it's very active. (is there a better word than 'complex'?) good stuff.
Aug 13, 2006 Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable
One thing?s for sure, Dunhill tobaccos provide that nicotine kick one usually counts on when taking a dip from this distinguished blender, and Durbar does not disappoint. This is without a doubt one of the most visually attractive blends produced by any manufacturer. There?s red leaf, orange peal, lemon yellow, dishwater blonde, and the occasional latakia black all neatly configured in a tightly packed tin. The aroma is a mix of fermented fig and citrus. I think of Squadron Leader when I smoke this blend only it?s cranked-up a few notches, and I LIKE THAT. The tin I opened 30 minutes ago has the perfect moisture content, and is burning evenly and completely as I?m currently reaching the bottom third of the bowl. No tongue bite here, definitely quality leaf. However, the latakia is subdued. I?ve tried two other Dunhill offerings; Night Cap (an evening disappointment) and Royal Yacht (another tin needs consuming before a conclusion is rendered). Durbar is in my rotation for good. I enjoy it after a jigger or two of Cognac or Straight Vodka.
Jul 26, 2006 Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable
A blend of orientals. virginias and latakia. If you like the taste of Latakias you will be disapointed as this in my opinion is one of the blends that should have more of a percentage. The more I smoke Alfreds blends the more I am disapointed in them. I guess I started pipeing too late to try the old blends that everone thought were great. One day maybe I will find an aged tin and I will sing its praises. Untill then I will look at the modern blends and say ho-hum! hoo-boy
Jun 05, 2006 Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Very Strong
Very nice flavor. Room note is very strong, best to smoke this on hunting trips with Dick Cheyney.

smoking a dunhill grp three in an air tight room...

target="_blank"