Another of Wilke's old recipes, a more than generous amount of latakia mixed with Virginias and perique makes this one of Wilke's fuller English Blends.

BrandWilke Pipe Tobacco
Blended ByJohn Brandt
Manufactured ByWilke Pipe Tobacco
ContentsLatakia, Perique, Virginia
Packaging2 oz. bag, 4 oz. bag, 8 oz. bag 16 oz. bag
Strength
Taste

3.6

The smoky, woody, earthy, musty, leathery, sweet Cyprian Latakia is the star component and ventures toward lat-bomb territory without hitting that mark. The tartly citrusy, tangy dark fruity, earthy, grassy, lightly bready Virginias play a secondary role. The raisiny, plumy, spicy, earthy perique is lightly more obvious than the Virginias. The strength level is medium, while the taste is in the center of medium and full. The nic-hit is almost medium. Won’t bite or get harsh, but it does have a rough edge or two, which is not atypical of blends with this much Latakia. Burns cool and clean at a reasonable pace with a deeply rich, very consistent, creamy sweet, campfire flavor that extends to the lingering after taste. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights. Has a pungent room note. Not an all day smoke, but it’s repeatable. Not for the novice. Four stars.

-JimInks

PKT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PKT (28)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

A wonderful Oriental blend. It is extremely flavorful, has a great mouth feel, smokes cool, burns to a fine white ash. This blend has been one of my favorites for 50 years. It has remained consistent from the Wilke sisters on Madison Avenue, through Carol Burns in Vermont, to John in Mass.

Thank you John for continuing the tradition.

Pipe Used: Wilke, John Bessai, R. C. Sands

Age When Smoked: Bulk smoked on arrival

Purchased From: John Brandt

HabaneroHardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HabaneroHardy (274)
Medium None Detected Medium Unnoticeable

I was afforded an opportunity to try this at my pipe club meeting. I had never heard of this tobacconist or this blend. This is a really good English blend but to give it a really proper review I will need to order some or bum some more. Ha. Glad to have sampled it.

2020-08-05. I very seldom update or change ratings as I do not see the point. But as I had only had a sample of this about a year ago, I wanted to add a few more notes. In May, Wilke had a 20 percent off sale and I bought about six or seven blends and this was one of them. This is a really smooth, very good English with no complaints from me as I smoke it. I smoke on the porch and my neighbor even said she liked the smell of this one. Not a bad compliment for an English blend. PKT really likes this and has mentioned in another post that Wilke blends deserve more recognition and I could not agree more.

Pipe Used: Butz Choquin 1130

I am surprised I like this one, but I do. Normally Lat and Per mixed with VA is not something I enjoy, perhaps it is when Orientals are thrown in the mix that I really don't like. Further experimentation may be necessary.

This is a creamy smoky blend that puts off a lovey sidestream. I find side stream is very important when it comes to my enjoyment of lat blends as I like to occasionally take a whiff off the top of the bowl. This one is fine. The perique was not overtly evident with its spiciness, but must have been that something other that sets it apart from the many Valats I have tried. Also, setting it apart is the abundance of lat; whereas, many blends such as SG Navy and MCC Anniversary tend to use the lat as an enhancement. The lat in 622 stands out strongly.

It is what one usually looks for in a lat group creamy, smooth and smoky. I am giving this one four stars based on the sizable sample I had and upon hearing the news that Carol will no longer be blending tobacco, I added 8oz of this to a large order I placed a few months back.

I have yet to have a blend from Pipeworks and Wilke that wasn't of very high quality and #622 is no exception. Like most P&W blends, it arrives a bit moist and will need some dry time. The blend arrives with mostly dark leafs with some tan mixed in for good measure. The pouch scent is leathery and the ribbons are cut short and require no rubbing out. The Latakia and Perique take more of a dominate role in #622 with the Virginia's filling out the blend. As one would expect with a Latakia heavy blend, #622 smokes cool with no bite. The Virginia's only offer a very small touch of sweetness. Carole uses high quality baccy that can best be described as "rich" and it produces large plumes of smoke. I don't find #622 to be as complex as my two P&W favorites, #524 and #10. Lovers of full English blends should have this on their "must try" list. Personally, I would prefer a bit more underlying sweetness so it won't be a rotation regular for me. Recommended.