A rich, flavorful latakia blend with a nice cool burn.

Notes: Stronger than Northwoods, with lots of latakia.

BrandBoswell Pipes & Tobacco
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Latakia, Virginia
Packaging2 ounce tin, bulk
Strength
Taste

Autumn joy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Autumn joy (48)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Alright Boswells railroad station is a blend that simply does not get the hype like northwoods does. Now to me this blend is better then northwoods. Railroad station is a black Cavendish, latakia and Virginia blend. The smell of this in the bag is a good woodsy earthy note. The smoke of this blend does have a bit of a sweetness to it from the Virginias and black Cavendish, but the latakia keeps it running with the smoky taste. This blend was a real surprise to me mainly because it is not discussed as much and not even really described on boswells menu. I honestly think this is their best blend period. Northwoods is good but pretty much stays at the same level the whole smoke. The railroad station has some things going on because of the Virginias added. I would highly recommend this to anyone who enjoyed northwoods or a good English blend.

Pipe Used: Straight Billiard, Rusticated Tomato

Purchased From: Boswell pipes

Lawyertodd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lawyertodd (28)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Tolerable to Strong

Excellent step-up in Latakia from Boswell's Northwoods. Flavorful, not overbearing. No afterbite. Smoky aroma in pouch makes the thought of opening it one of life's "great expectations."

brogreggblues Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brogreggblues (45)
Mild to Medium None Detected Very Mild Tolerable

I love Boswell's Northwoods. It's so delicious, but could be a bit stronger for my taste. So when I recently called Boswell's and asked Dan for a stronger blend, he suggested Railroad Station 965. He said "It's got a lot of Latakia in it", so I was sold. I assume this blend's name refers to Dunhill's My Mixture 965, but I've never smoked that blend, so I can't make the comparison.

RR965 does indeed have a lot of Latakia in it, but not so much to be overpowering. It's "tangy-ier" than NW, but still smooth and easy to smoke. I can detect black cavendish along with the Lat. It's a great blend, and I have no idea why no one on TR has reviewed it before now, nor why it's not listed on Boswell's website.

If Northwoods tastes like a fresh-baked loaf of bread with a little orange peel in it, RR965 replaces the orange peel with a little Bloody Mary mix. Enjoy.

LaroldC Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LaroldC (5)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Let me point out that Boswell's has at some point dropped the "965" from their labeling of this blend. That said...

My first reaction to the bag note was to instantly take another three or four deep whiffs, shake my head slowly, and smile. So rich in quality Latakia but without that typical leathery affront. The sweetness of the Virginias and Cavendish come through in perfect balance with that smoky Latakia overtone and it stays consistent throughout the bowl. It produces billowy white smoke and has a wonderful aftertaste. The ash is fine and powdery. The room note smacks lightly of incense and is quite nice.

With most English blends, even the great standards, I have found something lacking, but I find nothing missing from this English experience. It's totally satisfying to me. This is an unsung hero blend. It's pricey, but one bowlful and you will know why. Highly recommended for English fans. (Your mileage may vary.)

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentleman

Purchased From: J M Boswell's Handmade Pipes

Similar Blends: Boswell's Northwoods, McClelland's Frog Morton (original blend).

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (297)

Pouch aroma is slightly sweet, earthy and smoky. The blend doesn't have the aroma of a typical "lat bomb"

Thin crinkly ribbons with short choppy bits of latakia. More than the average amounts of stems in this blend. Packs easily enough, no difficulties.

Initial lighting bring forward toasty notes, very earthy, medium amount of smoky Latakia, and next to zero sweetness. Burns extremely well and even, minimal relights. Thick, chunky, voluminous amounts of smoke with little effort. The further down into the 2nd half the Latakia comes forward, but can get a bit acrid if puffed to hard. This is a great morning blend with coffee!

Pipe Used: several

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Purchased From: Boswells

robsm2013 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
robsm2013 (9)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A very nice English, Latakia presence is dominant but not over powering to the smoke, but complementary. The virginia's and cavendish round it out nicely and provide for a very rich, relaxing experience - you will like this blend if you like: Ashton Artisan Blend, Hearth and Home Black House, Cornell & Dhiel DaVinci

Pipe Used: David Jones, 2012

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Purchased From: Boswell's

Similar Blends: Ashton Artisan Blend, Hearth and Home Black House, Cornell & Dhiel DaVinci.

Pryhosm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pryhosm (243)

I must provide a disclaimer right up front. I love Boswell Pipes and Tobacco. I love the work ethic of the Boswell family, I love the customer service and I think the pipes are among the best in the world. Railroad Station is a solid great tasting Latakia blend (As I have learned more over the year(s) the term English isn't really the right descriptor for a tobacco with Latakia). Railroad Station is similar to Northwoods but I do like Northwoods better. Tin note is latakia with some grassy sweet notes from the VA's and Cavendish It has a smooth mouth feel and presents with the smoky sweetness you would expect from a Lat heavy / VA blend. This is no lat bomb by any means. It is super smooth and tasty. I get a toasty note midway through each bowl that persists to the end along with that great smoky campfire flavor. This is not a super complex blend but it is a great tasty all day smoke, light on nicotine and delicious.

Pipe Used: briars and cobs

Age When Smoked: out of the tin

Purchased From: Bosewell Pipes and Tobacco

Similar Blends: northwoods.

Jallen49 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jallen49 (25)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong

Very good blend, definitely recommended for english blend smokers. It's very similar to Northwoods (almost too similar), but it has a bit more latakia added, and less sweetness than Northwoods. To my taste, it's too similar to Northwoods to justify purchasing both (unless you just want to compare the two). In other words, if you want a blend significantly different than Northwoods (i.e., much stronger/more latakia), I can think of other places to go. BUT, again, for what it is, this is a great blend, like all Boswell pipe blends.

Pipe Used: Comoy's straight billiard

Similar Blends: Northwoods.

Stinkypipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stinkypipe (155)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Very Pleasant

I just love Boswell tobaccos. J.M.and Dan are a pair of steely eyed tobacconist! I love northwoods but railroad station is just that much better. A little sweeter with more smoky flavor. I noticed another reviewer found it less flavorful than Northwoods. That guy needs to try again. Even Dan says it's more big on flavor and strength. Frankly I just can't find anything wrong with Dans blends. His aromatics may not be as flavorful as others but his English blends are without peer. His pipes I am told are also outstanding (note to self, get one). If all the tobacconist in the world were kidnapped by aliens but Dan Bosworth I would be able to smoke what I love with no problems at all. If you enjoy smoky flavor in your English blends this is a must try!!

Pipe Used: Mostly briars but also cobs

Age When Smoked: New and old

Purchased From: Boswell.com

Emeritus Account Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Emeritus Account (30069)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I must disagree with the previous reviewer.

Being a big fan of boswell pipes and of their northwoods english blend I asked if they had something a little less aromatic as an english offering and the guy on the phone said they had this 965 whihc was a strong english blend.

when it arrived with my pipe i loaded it up and tried it out.

Its actually less sweet but that was the only good part.

Its very mild, even go as far to say on the same side as thier mild english.

Not the strong english i was expecting at all.

I assume its just virginia and latakia but it is too mild, even more so to me than Frog Morton, for me to order again.

Ojijaak Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ojijaak (6)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Well, now…this is closer to a true English than is common in American blends, even Northwoods. Latakia is ever-present, but not overbearing. Smoky like a campfire, earthy, herbal. Pleasant.

Burns slowly and cool, but I hasten to add that it is not for everyone. I do not think, for instance, that I would choose Railroad Station for my morning bowl, although I do like the blend. For me, an evening pipe with a single malt or a double shot of espresso.

In the Boswell family of blends, I like the Northwoods and Countryside favorites, but I do not rank or compare Railroad Station to those, either. For me, this is as close to the English blends of years past without Perique, which I cannot tolerate.

Of note: I ordered a 2-oz tin with a Boswell pipe. When I opened the tin some five hours ago, the tobacco was too dry. I live in the desert, and I do not know how long the box had been in my mailbox, nor when the tin was sealed by Boswell. At any rate, I am now nearing the end of my first bowl, and this review is subject to change after the tobacco is rehydrated to a proper level. I will probably add this blend to my Boswell orders going forward, but I will buy in bulk. Film at eleven.

Pipe Used: Boswell bent billiard.

Age When Smoked: “Fresh” from the tin.

Purchased From: Boswell

Similar Blends: Dunhill/Peterson 965…sort of..

WorkingClassChap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WorkingClassChap (136)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Strong

Smoking now:

Bag note is a big sour herbal smoky ketchup smell. Seems heavy in Latakia. Packed and lite just fine. Had high hopes off the aroma.

The taste is heavy Latakia. Herbal, smokey, woody, vegetative, with a dry mouth feel. The Virginias offer a slight tangy ketchup flavor. The cavendish might sweeten this a tad but this is far from north woods or the Boswells aromatic English blends they do. The Latakia is very heavy, unsweet and dry. It had the same mouth feel I get from smoking burley tobaccos. That is to say it does not agree with my ph. This dried my mouth out and left a vegetative and unpleasant after taste in my mouth. The retrohale is herbal, vegetative, with some tangy Virginias. It’s the best part. I like heavy Latakia blends but didn’t work out for me. Some rough spots and mouth tingle. Smoked to a fine ash. Will try in a different pipe.

PilgrimP Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PilgrimP (6)

At this time I begin year 4 of smoking a pipe and this is the first English blend I have tried. Until recently I have only smoked aromatics. This tobacco I have had for about a year but have been reluctant to actually try it out. Well, now, I can't hardly smoke any other types of blends because of the pleasure I get from it. Not as much ingredients to try picking out so now I can actually taste the different tobaccos and now understand the descriptions other people have used. The aroma reminds me of a toasty campfire smell but not obnoxious. I sense a strong wood taste in the moment while I smoke that doesn't linger once the bowl is done. The strange thing now is that aromatic blends by the same blender doesn't give me the pleasure they did prior to smoking this English. I would definitely recommend you giving this one a try. Peace be with all

Pipe Used: Boswell 2020 Apple with Bent Stem