Creamy caramel and ripe cherries. A distinctive aromatic aroma to the medium strength tobacco base.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
FlavoringCaramel, Cherry
Strength
Taste
2.0
Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (139)

I was quivering with anticipation when I opened the packet, the waft of a very creamy cherry - which was, admittedly, more of cream than cherry - graced itself upon my nostrils led me to hope this might be a rather good smoke. Sadly, upon the first draw from my pipe, I was a tad disappointed as the cream came through okay but the cherry seemed to be on a toilet break - and it didn't bother to flush. And nowhere, during the whole packet, did it bother to return. A pleasant enough smoke, and maybe if they'd left the cherry off the name I might have enjoyed it a little more. I'm not put off smoking it again but in no hurry either. I would just like to get the flavour I paid for.

renwardhoop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renwardhoop (144)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Typical GW's flake, moist and meaty with a delicious scent.

I'm agreeing with The Full English, this doesn't taste of cherry and I'm not convinced it smells of cherry either. Did someone mention caramel ? Not that either.

It is however a nice creamy flake and certainly sweet, but not sickly. Certainly not as chemically repellant as poor old Celtic Talisman.

Nougat ? Hmmm, maybe.

Strawberry chocolate ? Perhaps.

Whatever it is, it's quite alluring and not a million miles from the brilliant Firedance flake.

It's not a bad flake, but have a suspicion it might get sickening if smoked too often. Shall find out...

The Full English Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Full English (31)

Dear me. There's something inherently foul at play when an aromatic (and supposedly a simply flavoured one) tastes absolutely nothing like its description. No cherry; no cream; nor the remotest hint of caramel. Just a massive hit of that much maligned Lakeland flora. I'd have even taken cheap cherryade flavouring over this for the sake of saying Gawith & Hoggarth actually made an effort. Indeed, my experience with this flake was so left-field that I found myself inspecting every other pouch from my tobacco sampler for fear that the tobacconist had mislabelled them.

This is not to say that Kendal Cherry Cream is a bad flake. By all accounts, the tobacco itself is typical of the Kendals: marvellous quality; cool and voluptuous, and all all round brilliant smoker. Puff hard enough and there is some underlying sweetness - but it's not cherry. I tried to get a handle on the flavour, and in smoking too fast, managed to deliver a shot of something extremely bitter and the bowl turned on me thus from thereon in. A new flake and a second bowl the following day revealed a much more well behaved character, with less floral essence and a shade more sweetness, but the bitter ghost always threatened in the final third.

In a regular situation, I'd be inclined to give this the thumbs up after wrestling with it for a couple of days - a possible two, even three stars at a push for the benefit of the flake itself. However, it's such a crime against trade descriptions that it's called "Cherry Cream," that it infuriatingly relegates itself. If the folks at Gawith & Hoggarth cared to re-brand it, giving it a much more deserving moniker and a truly faithful description, then there would be a lot of happier punters - myself included.

Try it and enjoy it - but not on the basis of a cherry aromatic.

Huffelpuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Huffelpuff (1)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

A very nice VA blend that has that Lakeland flavor in a fairly small dose. Instead of full on cherries or cherry candy what I get is much more cherry blossom. The cream is kind of subjective. It is sweet and I can see hints of caramel that round out the flavor nicely. I find I like it better in wide shallow bowl like a pot. All in all an enjoyable experience.

Pipe Used: Yello-bole pot