Veteran smokers should enjoy this clean burning and satisfying matured Virginia flake tobacco. Aged in cakes to develop the tobacco's natural sweetness, then sliced and partially crumbled.

BrandGeorgetown Tobacco
Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Manufactured ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Strength
Taste
Emeritus Account Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Emeritus Account (29765)

Picked up a 1996 tin of this and the Special Reserve II for a very reasonable price. This is a mostly brown broken flake cut with the heady and tangy tin aroma of a McClelland Virginia, the kind of smell that makes people scream "ketchup" or "vinegar". Oddly enough, I preferred this one with a bit of moisture left in the flake and not fully dried out. The flavors snapped into focus with a bit of pliability - about 3/4 of the way to tinder. I rubbed it out lightly so that it retained its harder texture but was less clumpy.

This reminded me very much of McClellands Matured Virginia #22, so I smoked a bowl of that back to back with this one. There may have been some minor differences but their similarities were obvious. A nice balance of high, light citrusy notes with lower, booming tang and crispness. This one had a lot of zest, even with 23 years of age, but was also tender and mellow. Just enough sweetness to balance out the zestiness, the sweetness being more of a buttery nature than honey or sugar. Balance is the key word for this one, as it tames the darker nature of McClellands #24 and #25 and adds some oomph to #27. This would be an excellent starter Virginia for the novice but it's also satisfying enough for the confirmed Virginia smoker. Makes me wish I had stockpiled more #22 as the age of this has moved it to a very strong 4 stars.

Most definitely a McClelland, similar to the Matured Virginia series. My tin has lots of age on it: 1994. The broken flake is a mix of red and dark Virginia, and is quite attractive. The old familiar McClelland aroma is there in spades. At the first light, on my first bowl, I thought I detected Perique, but after a few more bowls am pretty sure this is just the sharpness of the aged Virginia. And a nice, mellow aged Virginia it is! (Yes, that seems like a contradiction, sharp and mellow, but keep reading, I'll try to explain.) This hits me better than any McClelland I've had since Ashton Brindle Flake. There seems to be a tug of war going on between astringency on the inhale and mellowness on the exhale. I like it. You know, right before I typed that last sentence, I dropped my pipe and wasted a whole bowl! Not what you want to have happen while typing a review. Well, let me just reload...Ah yes, there we go. As I said, kind of sharp on the first light, but this settles down and mellows out. The flavors are typical of aged McClelland Virginia, but this one has a perfect balance and body. There is also a perfect balance between spicy, sour, and sweet. No bite whatsoever, even though I have both sipped and pushed it a little harder. What makes me sad is that I will have a hard time finding another tin of this so well aged, though the blend is still in production. I say blend, but something tells me this might be single-crop, with part of it stoved? Not sure. I've been hitting this stuff pretty hard since I popped the tin, but will try to save some for special occasions. This may be one of the best, at least with 16 years on it.