A delicate balance of several Scandinavian tobaccos in cavendish cuts, made even more flavorful with the addition of our own exclusive formulation of natural chocolate and cocoa bean.

Notes: Reminiscent of Lane Ltd. CC5 blend. This was an Amar Blends Co. mixture. Cornell & Diehl bought the rights of all their old recipes.

Blended ByCornell & Diehl
ContentsCavendish
FlavoringCocoa / Chocolate, Whisky
Packaging2 ounce tin, bulk
Strength
Taste
2.6
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

I bought this tin after sampling Berry Good!. I loved how the berry blend had an aromatic taste but it still tasted like tobacco. This blend shares that same characteristic. There is definitely a burly element because the tobacco has a nice nutty flavor. I am not sure but maybe even a bit of VA sweetness. As all students of the leaf know Cavendish is more a process than a variety, it can be either Burly VA or Kentucky. The tin note is of strong chocolate and was initially a turn off. The appearance was light brown (read milk chocolate). The tobacco packs extremely easily and since the tobacco was a bit wet in the tin, I left it in the pipe over night. The pipe the next afternoon was still a bit moist but it burned very well and never got too hot. Two matches was all it took from top to bottom and surprisingly there was little moisture left at the bottom of the bowl. The room note according to my wife is second to none. She says it smells like chocolate chip cookies. The taste was as said before more tobacco with a nice chocolate undertone. If puffed too aggressively all flavor goes away and the tobacco gets a bit bitter. This is definitely a mild milk chocolate and is rather delightful.

Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

It has been a couple of years since I've posted any C&D blend reviews and I have smoked nearly 100 tins of their various offerings in that time. So, it may be awhile before I get to all of them.

I actually bought this one for my wife on Valentine's day 2016. Typical of most women she wanted to lose a few pounds and told me not to get her anything sweet (glad my wife is not a reader of TRC), but since Chocolate Cavendish had no calories and I do cajole her into smoking her pipe with me on rare occasions in the evenings out on the back patio, she actually appreciated the gift and got right to smoking the contents on Valentine's evening. We went into the barn to smoke because it was unseasonably cold down here in Texas. We both locked and loaded our pipes, had a great smoke and fun conversation while drinking Bailey's with coffee. I was all perked up until we went back into the house and the kids were still up and the dog had barfed on her living room carpet... Oh well, at least I had an enjoyable smoke that night.

Adrian B. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Adrian B. (29)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant

On opening the tin you a greeted with a great and full chocolate aroma that promises great things, but for me at least in the smoking, this blend didn't stand up.

While I didn't experience the harshness some have reported, I didn't get much chocolate flavor either aside from the initial light where it is very prominent. The tobacco is high quality, burns well gives a good volume of smooth smoke, but as a chocolate aromatic it doesn't make it for me.

Pipe Used: cobs mostly

Age When Smoked: tin fresh

Purchased From: SPC

Medium to Strong Medium Very Full Tolerable

Flavors were not there, seemed harsh and cigarettish to smoke. Emptied the pipe before I finished the smoke. Not recommended.

StevieB (1961)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

Cornell & Diehl - Chocolate Cavendish.

Note: supplied from bulk.

Very fine ribbons, virtually a shag. The mix is medium brown in colour and in keeping with a bulk tobacco, the blend's breathed a little in the pouch and reached a good hydration. The smell from it has a definite chocolate hit to it.

The slight build of the ribbons results in easy ignition, but causes a bowl to burn quick. At first the chocolate leads in the smoke, seeming too bitter; for me. The Cavendish tries to balance the smoke, and reduce the bitterness, but fails until after a third of a bowl. After this point it transpires to be a bit more mellow tasting, and enjoyable. The smoke feels cool in temperature, without a bite to be had from it.

Nicotine: not much Room-note: pleasant.

Chocolate Cavendish? Although not an abhorrent smoke, there's no way it can have any higher than two stars:

Somewhat recommended.

Pipe Used: Altinok Lee Van Cleef: My Friday pipe

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

An aromatic that I quite enjoy. My first foray into a chocolate flavor aromatic. I do enjoy and recommend it thus far.

The tin note is very strong and good smelling of chocolate, the kind of artificial chocolate one smells on junk food, ice cream, and milkshakes, not real chocolate, but not bad or off-putting by any means. I rather enjoyed the smell. It wasn't a goopy mess like some aromatics, and like most C&D was a little on the dry side in the tin.

It packed easily for me, and lit rather well. Had no trouble keeping it lit. The chocolate flavor is very strong with the first light, as is common with aromatics. However, it then goes to the background, offering just enough to keep you hooked, while mixing wonderfully with the natural tobacco, and not overpowering you.

Did get a little tongue bite, so may be something to watch for, although I do have the bad habit of smoking rather fast, so I feel it may have been more self inflicted than the tobacco itself.

A great blend to pick up for fans of chocolate aromatics, or those looking to get into chocolate aromatics. Also a good find for any C&D fans looking for another blend.

Pipe Used: Dr. Grabow Omega and Riviera w/ filter

Purchased From: Paul's Pipe Shop and Pipe Hospital

Fred T Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fred T (67)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

As a chocolate lover and an aromatic lover, I had to give this a try. It's a nice smooth smoke with chocolate overtones. It's pretty good, but I'm not jumping up and down crazy about it. A little bit boring for me. If you like chocolate aromatics, it's worth a try. I prefer McClelland's Tastemaster. Tastemaster is a 4. This one gets a 3.

Pipe Used: Grant Batson

Similar Blends: McClelland's Tastemaster..

fvernaza Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fvernaza (1)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

It is a good aromatic mixture, for moments of company, in cold it has a strong honey aroma with aromas of breva or dehydrated dried fruits, however it does not lose the flavor that tobacco gives, when smoking it you feel a very pleasant cookie aroma it is light light well, it is short but pleasant flavor, it is definitely a good tobacco to please the family.

Pipe Used: Peterson Aran 338

Age When Smoked: 2020

Pip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pip (74)

Delish. Sweet chocolate tobaccony goodness. Like smoking a chocolate bar. Great with a bowl of ice cream! No bite, no goop and still tastes like tobacco. More flavor at the beginning then the cavendish takes over. I like it.

Age When Smoked: 7