A mild aromatic blend with just enough Latakia to give satisfaction to the pipe smoker's taste, yet with a very pleasant aroma for those around him. Smooth and full-bodied.

Blended ByCarl McCallister
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Burley, Cavendish, Latakia
FlavoringAlcohol / Liquor
Strength
Taste

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The mildly smoky, woody, earthy, musty sweet Cyprian Latakia takes a small lead here. The tangy dark fruity, earthy, woody, bready red Virginia is a secondary star. The burley is earthy, woody, nutty with some molasses in an important support role. The black cavendish offers a mild sugariness. The mildly sweet vanilla topping moderately sublimates the tobaccos. Well blended, you’ll notice most every aspect of the very consistent flavors in every puff. Burns at a normal rate, cool and clean with a fair amount of smoothness as it easily burns to ash. Won’t bite, and has no harsh spots, and barely any rough edges. The strength is in the center of mild to medium. The taste is nearly medium. The nic-hit is a slot below the strength level. Requires an average number of relights, and leaves little dampness in the bowl. Has a short lived, pleasant after taste and room note. An easy going, mild all day smoke.

-JimInks

Capn Jimbo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capn Jimbo (24)

Like so many of us, I am one of those pipe smokers that has varying tastes. One day it might be a nutty burley, or a burley/brignt, a nice aromatic, and an English latakia forward blend. Depend on the day and mood. Quite by accident my friendly tobacconist offered me a taste of this one. I had my doubt whether this combination of burley, cavendish and light latakia was a bit of a mongrel, neither fish, nor fowl.

My first puff, and I was shocked.

Yes it had a lovely light vanilla tone, but then again the latakia was there too - just enought - while my very favorite burley nuttiness came through in intermittent wisps. Now at least one other reviewer felt these different elemets cancellled one another out. For him I'm sure this was a personal reaction - he wants a blend to have a more singular character.

I don't.

As a spirits reviewer, I can tell you that younger spirits do in fact have that singular element, but the reward of aging begins to bring the elements together in what can only be described as a balanced and intergrated harmony, complex enought that no one element dominates, but is clearly there. That is a mark of a great spirit and in this case applies to this lovely blend.

Yes, the elements are there. Yes, they do at times coalesce, but still allow each component to sneak out here to make themselves evident. Oh - nice aromatics! And then alongs comes a bit of nuttiness, then some smoke. Such a presentation is interesting and infatuating. Lovely and rewarding, easily a daily smoker that won't bore, but won't overwhelm, that will keep you interested and pleased.

Pipe Used: Savinelli full bent military, Peterson style; cob

Age When Smoked: unknown, months at least

Purchased From: Local tobacconist

Kissphantom05 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kissphantom05 (22)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

This is my favorite tobacco so far. When I decided to venture into English tobaccos, I was sniffing the bulks that my tobacconist had and the smell of this one pushed me to purchasing an ounce. When I lit it I found myself in tobacco Heaven! It had the pleasant smells of an aromatic and the strength and kick of a mild English tobacco. This tobacco goes for aromatic and English lovers alike!

I give this 5 stars. The availability of this seems limited, but if you can get hold of some, please give it a try.

StevieB (1973)
Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Sutliff Tobacco Company - Aromatic English #504.

The blend looks very coarse, more-so than the badge 'ribbon' implies. It's too wet, even after a few weeks in a loose pouch it could still use some airing time. The constituents are a 50/50 split between black and brown, of which both are chunkily cut.

A bowl of #504 lights up easily, and then gives me a flavour that doesn't exactly give credence to the name Aromatic. The smoke has primarily a natural flavour, with just a splash of aromatics. The natural side consists of some smoke and wood (from the Lat'), some nuttiness (from the Bur'), and the Cavendish offers a flavour that sits on the fence, a bit: there's a vanilla creaminess that you'd expect from black Cav', but I'm unsure as to whether to put that under an added flavouring as it's from the manufacturing, or natural as it's not from a casing? I have no idea what alcohol/liqueur has been used to make this, as apart from some alcoholic sharpness I get no actual flavour.

Regarding the other points, it's all good: cool burn, thick smoke, no bite, nice room-note, and very mild nicotine.

Highly recommended, a nice smoke.

Four stars.

Pipe Used: Peterson Christmas 2015 #03

Age When Smoked: One month

ciaran Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ciaran (7)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I'd been on the hunt for a good crossover blend for a while now. I wanted something with a little more character than a straight aromatic but also wanted not to offend (as badly) as a nice English. During my exploration, I discovered "Aromatic English" blends and found a couple that I like. I've got jars of Lane's HGL and Karer's Blend for Cary Grant. But, honestly, while those are good blends, "I still hadn't found what I was looking for" (sorry U2). And then I bumped into Stuliff's 504C. When I opened the bag, the smell was intoxicating. There was the nice smell of vanilla (I believe) but not too over powering. I could still make out the nuttiness of the burley and hints of incense-y Latikia. The bag was very wet. Very. Wet. I left it in the bag for the duration and it never completely dried out. I'm not sure if this is done so that it doesn't dry out "on the shelf" but it would benefit from not being so wet. With that stated, however, it still smoked fine. I packed it very lightly and lit my pipe. A few more relights than normal and it left a little moisture in the bowl. But the taste was outstanding! I first tasted the light topping (maybe vanilla or caramel or perhaps some plum or rum) and then the earthiness from the burley came through. Then, in wisps once in a while, I get the slight incense of the Latikia. As I was smoking it a colleague stopped by and said that he really liked the way it smelled. I offered him a bowl and excused myself. When I came back I caught a waft of the tobacco. "Oh my gosh," I exclaimed. "When I think of pipe tobacco, that's EXACTLY what I think of!" It became my all-day, go-to blend. Sadly, I've since run out it and am smoking my other tobaccos before I order more of this. The subtlety is there from all the components--the earthiness of the burley, the gentle sweetness of the cavendish, and the light wisps of incense from the Latikia. It's all blended so beautifully and each part of the symphony plays off each other in a very balanced way.

Pipe Used: Savinelli, Dunhill, Peterson

Age When Smoked: newly purchased; about a month or two (last bowl)

Gothicmace Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gothicmace (16)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I find this a very nice and relaxing all day smoke. The flavor profile is never singular as with most English blends.. the aromatic is pleasant and not overwhelming as one may think.. but rather adds to the experience. This is a great blend for those wanting to dip a toe into the English blends and for those of us who love the heady smokey pleasures that only Latakia can provide.. but want to take a break from the campfire and satisfy a light sweet tooth.

Pipe Used: M&M Cob and Dr. Grabow Omega

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the pouch

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Similar Blends: Nothing to really compare it to as this is unique for the blend style..

Av8er Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Av8er (5)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I consider myself unique in that I enjoy English blends AND I enjoy aromatic blends. Some folks are "so refined", that they can't enjoy something that simply satisfies. If it doesn't have "hints of this" and "subtleties of that", they'll turn their noses up at it.

This tobacco is just delicious. You can instantly tell that it's an aromatic tobacco as soon as the smell hits your nose, but it's closely followed by the latakia. It is definitely a bit on the wet side, but it takes a light without any trouble, and I've been able to burn through a bowl with only one or two relights.The flavor is amazing, the room note is more than pleasant, and it certainly leaves you craving another bowl.

This is definitely one that you could smoke all day long, with no problems.

Pipe Used: Grabow Omega, Savinelli Arcobaleno

Larry427 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Larry427 (2)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

This was (for my taste) entirely too sweet, and the Latakia was wasted on it. I got a few hints of it, but the black cavendish runs the show, and that’s all I can detect most of the time.

Pipe Used: Various Cobs, Savinelli Roma, Peterson Dracula 999

Purchased From: Online

ruffinogold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruffinogold (108)

Just tried this for the first time , so this is an impression more so that a review . In a nutshell .... it's lovely . The idea of an aromatic English usually isnt somethng for me to get to excited about but Sutliff has nailed this one big time . Smoooth , cool smoking , flavorful !!! It isnt over the top in the flavoring dept and I wouldnt be able to tell what it even is , other than it is an asset to the blend . As far as crossovers go , I think this is " IT " . I'm only just getting into this pouch but I will edit and do a proper review later . But it has made a fantastic impression on me

Pipe Used: Calabresi Billiard and Basil Meadows " Hawkog "

Purchased From: Gift from a PSF member

Similar Blends: Other crossover blends but this one is really nice.

The good Rev. Rizzo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The good Rev. Rizzo (36)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

Purchased on a big bulk binge. My 4 ounce bag of this was overly moist as the tobacconist keeps it that way. Aroma in the bag is nothing close to an English blend. A very sweet note coming from the nice black and gold combination of leaf. A nice cut devoid of stem and stock that packs nicely in the bowl. This has no discernible real flavor. Just a nice sweet flavor which once in a while peaks of an almost nutty taste. But then it goes away just about as soon as you notice. No dynamic to this, so if you want complexity look elsewhere. But if your after a nice sweet constant smoke that would be a good all day smoke I recommend. No real tongue bite. A very satisfying full draw smoke. The room note is satisfying to most.

Pipe Used: Peterson 2013 St. Patrick's X220

Age When Smoked: 1+ years

Purchased From: King Beaver Cigars

Emeritus Account Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Emeritus Account (29762)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I've been an avid english smoker and latakia fan boy for the past decade, but when my wife hinted that I could move my smoking indoors if I smoked aromatics, my search began. Unfortunately, this one just isn't it for me, although it has its merits.

The tin note presents as strong brown sugar with a light underlying smokiness. The flavor is more of a creamy undefined sweetness with a tiny hint of the peaty/smokey latakia in the background. I don't detect any flavoring or topping aside from a splash of sweet booze that barely if at all comes across when smoking. It burns relatively warm if puffed hard, so breathe smoke it for best results.

I've smoked about 1oz of it in several different pipes, and tried various drying times, but honestly it smoked just fine as it was, in whatever I put it in. The room note, while pleasant to me, was described by my wife as "barely better than your normal stuff". I think latakia is just a solid no for many non-smokers room note wise.

I would say this is most likely a good tobacco for someone looking to go from aromatic to english, but unfortunately not really the other way around. There is minimal to no body and the vitamin N is very light, so it can be a great smoke if that is what you're looking for, but not so great if you like bigger, bolder tobaccos like me.

All in all, the room note didn't pass my wife's test and the very light bodied smoke didn't pass mine.

Pipe Used: Several pipes

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (279)
Very Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

As a whole, I really enjoy sweet and aromatic English blends. Also as a whole, I'm not a fan of Sutliff blends, so I tried to venture into this 2ozs with a fairly open mind.

Initial pouch aroma smells quite lovely. A classic aromatic pipe tobacco scent, with just a hint of mildly smoky Latakia. Medium brown ribbons, and large chunks of pitch black tobacco make up the majority of this blend.

Packing leaves a sticky humectant on the fingers. Usually not a good sign to me.

Initial light took a few rounds, as this tobacco is fairly saturated. Reminds me of a Captain Black aroma, with just a touch of smokiness. The latakia really hides out in this blend. Its there, but in a very miniscule amount.

Room note is superb. That is about the only positive I have of this really. It burns a bit hot, sears my tongue, and leaves the pipe quite wet and goopy. Not even a quarter of the way through this bowl my pipe began to gurgle, something that has NEVER occurred in this Ascoti Business bent brandy.

There are so many other aromatic/sweet English blends to smoke, pass on by this one.

If Sutliff would just leave all the PG out of their tobaccos, they would probably be terrific!

Armeniandude Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Armeniandude (13)

This blend is good but there are much better out there as far as aromatic english goes. That's not to say that this is a good starter blend for those (like myself) trying to get more into English blends. For me, it starts out good but halfway through I get a dry uncomfortable feeling in my throat like I have a wad of cotton stuck there.

It smells sweet and leaves a smoky sweet taste in your mouth after you finish your bowl. The latakia is not over powering or very heavy. It is enjoyable but I have to dock it a couple stars because of the cotton throat I get every time I give this a go.

It is low on the nicotine content which I am ok with but others might not be.

Pipe Used: Briar

Age When Smoked: few months

Sosakan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sosakan (31)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Like many things that divide their energies, this one doesn’t really get either right. It’s a mediocre English and a mediocre aromatic. This split personality leave it to be a jack of both trades but a master of none. Just like this blend, I don’t know what this blend is.

professorpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
professorpipe (2)

A very tasty, if light, hybrid. To me, and for my palette, that's a feature, not a bug. It starts and stays sweet, easy to smoke, never heated up, and has a pleasant room note to the bottom of the bowl. The taste, due to its English nature, is also good all the way down. I've gone through most of a four ounce order before writing this, and I think I'll be ordering some more.

Pipe Used: Savinelli 320

Age When Smoked: New from the bag, no aging on my part

Do I have enough beard for this? Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Do I have enough beard for this? (3)

I'm really new to the joy of piping, but after sampling 6 or 8 bowls of this stuff I felt compelled to throw in my 2 cents. The taste of this baccy is really quite good. The casing is discreet and not overpowering and the leaf itself is really nice. But, alas the taste is not what brought me here. This tobacco performs better than just about any other I have had. It smokes cool, gives the perfect amount of smoke, doesn't need to be constantly re-lit and is consistent right down to the ash. There are better and more complex blends I have had, but this ones performance in the 2 different pipes I used is what brought me here.

Pipe Used: Brigham Algonquin *no filter* and Paycok Briar

Age When Smoked: Fresh from bulk

Purchased From: Online

Similar Blends: You tell me because I want some!.