Sutliff Tobacco Company R-Blend

(2.41)
This unique blend astounds with its dominant yet still subtle fruity notes. The base is an equally complex mixture of Burley, Virginia, Latakia, Perique and Flake.
Notes: Perfect for fans of Revelation.

Details

Blend Type Burley Based
Contents Burley, Latakia, Perique, Virginia
Flavoring Fruit / Citrus
Cut Coarse Cut
Packaging sealed reinforced cardboard can
Country United States

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

2.41 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 1 - 7 of 7 Reviews
Nov 08, 2013 Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
The HoW version left me with a bad impression all the way around, from the dullness of the burley to the relative lack of sweetness, depth, and flavor of the Virginia and the burley. In this version, the medium brown Virginia has a mildly natural tangy citrus and light dark fruit sweetness while the burley sports some earthy points, plus a light nuttiness and wood. The perique is very lightly added for a hint of spice, hardly noticed in the HoW. The Cyprian latakia brings very mild smokey, woody bass notes to give this mixture a slight flavor push. There’s a mild fruity rum topping that tastes better than the one HoW used, and slightly more obvious, too. it mildly tones down the tobaccos. The HoW version tended to have a cardboard taste that turned bitter near the finish, and smoked hot unless you sipped it. None of these qualities are true of the Match. This is more well rounded, smoother with no bite, and the components work together with greater consistency of flavor than the original. The nic-hit is mild. The strength is near the center of mild to medium. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and needs an average number of relights. Has a nice after taste and is an all day smoke.

-JimInks
Sep 19, 2014 Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant
When I first smoked this I did not know it was supposed to be Sutliff's attempt at HOW's Revelation. The description seemed really ambiguous ("Mild and Mellow"). I could see the Virginias and Burleys, and I could smell the light Vanilla/Rum flavoring. Upon lighting it I exclaimed "this would be great with loads of Latakia". Little did I know that it does have Latakia in it, although I could not detect much. It's funny how some people can tastes lots of Perique and/or Latakia in it. After a couple of bowls my impression of it was that it was a very pleasant smoking mixture with much potential to be an aromatic or a more spicy, English-like tobacco if one was feeling adventurous for blending. I would buy this tobacco, and I would strongly recommend it for the brave souls who would like to tweet a recipe.
Pipe Used: Sasieni Mayfair
PurchasedFrom: Sutliff - Pipe Club Sample
Age When Smoked: 32
Aug 29, 2010 Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant
The Burley came through clearly with a hint of Virginia in the background. Perique? Latakia? Where was that?

I liked the strength of R-Blend, but it smoked a little harsh. The topping added provided a subtle, sweet splash that was enjoyable the first half of the bowl, but disapeard on me toward the last half of the smoke.
Dec 06, 2014 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable
This tobacco is labelled "mild and mellow" and therein lies the reviews you will read. There are some of us who seek more power and more differentiation. These smokers want a blend to be forward, specific and memorable. Yet, there is something to be said for a blend based on a different philosophy. Blends that want to be merged in such a way as the components are so well merged and in such a way that no single element dominates.

This is one. All of the components are there and if you work at it, you'll find them. But to me that's not the point. "Mild and mellow" needs to be, well, mild and mellow. Pleasant but still non-aromatic. Woodsy, with just a touch of feeling like you're sitting around a nice dying campfire, watching the coal, having a nightcap and relaxing. Entirely pleasant, a tobacco that will not slap you upside the head. It's memorable in the sense of not being memorable. You won't discover the latakia right away, but it grows and is surely there by the end. As the bowl develops the components come forward, but still in a well integrated sense.

A beautifully smooth blend, complex in the sense that all the components merge into a "mild and pleasant" whole. It states its goal and it meets it.
Pipe Used: Classic greek briar by Pipex
Age When Smoked: unknown
May 04, 2015 Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
Recently tried this when I got it in an "English Sampler". I have no experience with the older version of Revelation that it's supposed to mimic, so I'm evaluating it completely on its own merits.

I found this to be a delightful change of pace from heavy English blends and VaPers. No huge dose of Latakia like I usually enjoy in English blends, and no big dump of Perique that I also similarly enjoy, but I could sense both in there somewhere. Write-ups and descriptions claim a "fruit topping", but I didn't get much of that. Maybe a hint of anise?

It burned well with maybe one relight towards the end of the bowl. The flavor profile was consistent from start to finish of the bowl for me. No tongue bite. I really enjoyed this and will enjoy it as a treat. Would definitely buy it again. Only three stars because there are other blends that I rate "better" or have the more intense flavors I prefer, but still a great blend.
Pipe Used: Savinelli Bruna
PurchasedFrom: Smoking Pipes
Age When Smoked: Freshly opened
Jan 08, 2015 Mild Mild Mild Pleasant
I prefer my Latikia & Perique to be more assertive. Ten Rusisans & Escudo strength. The saving grace here is the balance. Not bad, but Epiphany is a better clone Han this.
Pipe Used: cob
PurchasedFrom: P&C
Sep 06, 2012 Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
This seems to burn a bit on the hot side, but not by much but just enough to keep this from 4 stars. A nice well-balanced everyday blend, with no one component standing out.

There wasn't any fruit/citrus topping that I detected, there was just enough Lat to be noticed once in a while, and those who have never smoked a VAPer wouldn't notice the Perique. Since I know there are many tobaccos out there I would rate a 4, the question arises would I rebuy this particular tobacco, assuming my tastes don't change much more. In this case, the answer is not while Painter Hills is available.

target="_blank"