G. L. Pease Chelsea Morning

(3.43)
Sweet red and bright Virginias, fragrant Orientals, a bit of rich Cyprus latakia, and just a pinch of perique. The leaf is blended in layers, briefly pressed, then sliced and tumbled into ribbons. Lively and engaging, with a subtle fruitiness, and an elegant, creamy texture, it's a great bowl to accompany the morning cup.
Notes: Chelsea Morning was introduced in October, 2009.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.43 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 1 - 10 of 34 Reviews
Dec 01, 2019 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Unnoticeable
A friend of mine gave this to me last week and my gray matter is not what it used to be and almost forgot, sorry about that Dawg. Maybe that dementia thing is for real. So, I am sitting on the porch this morning and a light bulb goes off and I go inside and get this blend. It says it goes good with a cup of coffee. Everything goes good with a cup of coffee in my book. This tin is dated 2/21/19 and has the usual faint sweet smell to it, must be the VA’s. It is a course cut, not really a ribbon in my book. This blend is another one that if I was not told it had Latakia I would not have guessed, much less the touch of Perique that it also contains. What I taste is a nice sourness from the Oriental/Turkish tobaccos more than I believe the VA’s. I like the Orientalness of this one and though toward the end it may be slightly harsh nothing that a new bowl can’t fix. I noticed a few references to Dunhill’s Early Morning Pipe and out of curiosity I counted the number of times that it was mentioned. Out of 133 reviews, EMP was referenced in some form 29 times. If anyone out there is wanting to smoke this as an EMP clone this one is not even close. Anyway, EMP is back under the Peterson label as we speak. I try to rate what I smoke on what it is and not what one says it should be. In this case I like the fact that the Latakia is standing way in the back so the Orientals/Turkish can shine. I like sourdough bread and making it and the taste of this sourness is good. I really do not have a morning blend set aside anyway, I just grab something that pops in my head. I live in an area where the wild Red-crowned Parrots fly over with all of their loud squawking and it was pleasant smoking this with yes indeed my morning coffee and taking pictures of the birds.
Pipe Used: 1947 59/1 Dunhill Shell
PurchasedFrom: Gift
Nov 21, 2019 Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable
GL Pease Chelsea Morning

I’ve been smoking this blend on and off for the last two weeks, usually a bowl on the drive to or from work, upon first opening that tin, thre orientals and Turkish really hit my nose, secondly was the Latakia.

This blend needed little drying time, categorized as an English, I find this blend very oriental forward with the Virginia’s coming in providing some sweetness, boy do I love the VA’s in this one. This blend is so oriental forward and heavy, while I enjoy Orientals the mix is a little overpowering and sweet sour dynamic is drowned out due to this. The time I’ve spent smoking this I have to say I was disappointed that this wasn’t an all-star blend, something I usually come to expect from GL Pease.

When I first bought this blend I envisioned it as a proper replacement for Dunhill EMP, although it is not, nor close in my opinion. A good medium English with more oriental forward dynamics. Give it a shot or don’t flat 3 out of 4.

Pipe Used: Bones brandy, MM cob
PurchasedFrom: Tobaccopipes.com
Nov 25, 2015 Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable
This is a fine tobacco. Never a dull moment does it offer. For starting the day however, I'll stay with Dunhill's EMP because it is much milder and lighter. This is more complex and has deeper undertones, especially a punchier Perique content. It better fits my rotation as an afternoon/evening smoke. Right now, I am smoking it somewhere in West Africa where the time is 4pm (10am Eastern - New York time) and I am drinking a bottle of Guiness Stout. Perfect fit. Perfect mix.

Highly recommended for those who prefer a stronger mix of, should I say 'VaRienT', for Virginia-Oriental-Turkish (Balkan).
Dec 01, 2022 Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
Tin note of smoky, tart fruit, and spices. Tobacco broken flakes are orangish tan, brown and darker brown. Tobacco is moist and could uses a little drying but rubs out easily. Burns slow with many relights. The strength is medium and nic is mild. No flavoring detected. Taste is medium and consistent, with notes of slightly sweet dark fruit, wood, dry earth, spicy, musty grass, floral, spiced bread, herbal sweet, a tangy lemon zest background note, and a peppery retro. Oriental/Turkish is leading with Virginia and Perique supporting. Latakia had the night off. Room note is pleasant to tolerable, and aftertaste is great.
Pipe Used: 2013 J.M. Boswell Poker
Sep 15, 2018 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable
Chelsea Morning is a nice refreshing discovery for me. With McClelland getting out of the tobacco business I was really afraid that the art of making complex, flavorful milder blends my go the way of the dinosaur, but Chelsea Morning is proof the GL Pease can do both ends of the English spectrum with expertise. The current (or former now I guess) Dunhill blends may have been mild but they were all mostly flavorless for my liking. EMP has a unique flavor but a little flat and Standard and London mixture are just too light for me. McC Legends, the FM series and the Oriental series had great layers of complexity and a light hand relative to the Lat heavy blends that are very popular (and I like very much, but I am not always in in that mood). Chelsea Morning has a nice Oriental tin note, sour and spicy with a hint of Virginias in the background. If you really get a good snoot full you can pick up the smokey Latakia as well. The flavor is really fantastic. The Orientals are the star of this show but there are layers of flavor that present themselves throughout this smoke. There isn't a ton of Perique in this blend but as I mindlessly puff, at times I would think I was smoking a VaPer, but not a normal one. The mix of Perique with the Orientals and VA's is really unique. When really concentrating you can really enjoy the Orientals playing off the other tobacco's, they are primarily woody and slightly sour. The spiciness in the blend is a combination of the perique and Orientals and this creates a really tasty spicy profile: peppery, savory and in a way reminds me of the spice you get from cinnamon without the cinnamon flavor (if that makes any sense). The smoke is also creamy and has an almost Balkan like malty flavor thanks to the touch of Latakia. The Virginias are tough to tease out on their own but you do get the earthy Red VA's particularly mid bowl. Very flavorful and easy going smoke. For the genre, a mild English with a lot of flavor, I strongly recommend it. I'd also say if you like Oriental/Turkish forward blends this is a must try. If you gargle road tar and chimney creosote for breakfast, this one may not be for you.
Pipe Used: Briar's, meerschaum and cobs
Jul 27, 2022 Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable
Well, against my best efforts, you just cannot make this blend bad.

I was thinking about some of the blends I have yet to review here, and to my surprise, I had not reviewed Chelsea Morning. Well, lets smoke a few bowls and give it a review. Not wanting to open a new tin I went to my cellar and found the jar I already had going. See, I am a tobacco explorer. The journey is the most exciting thing for me. While some pipers find a few blends they really like and smoke copious amounts, I have a severe case of tobacco ADHD. I am always distracted by a new blend, or I hear good things about one I have never tried. So it seems I have not smoked smoked much Chelsea Morning since 2013. Yup, my "newest" Chelsea Morning was from 2013.

Now in the pipe world, this is a great problem to have. How do you complain about having to smoke a blend with 9 years of age on it? This should be amazing right? Womp Womp. It seems that when I last smoked this blend some bits and pieces of tobacco, and as my luck would have it, a huge chunky stem piece, got in between the lid of the mason jar and I have a 9 year old jar of completely dried out crunchy Chelsea Morning. Well, I will rehydrate it, but just for funnsies......

A rather potent smell from the latakia and orientals on the tin note, but don't worry, the bite is not as strong as the bark. This is a chunky broken flake with various mottled coloring through.

Even though this was dry as a bone, it packed well, burned well, and smoked well. What a nice balanced and refined blend. I have always been a fan of Early Morning Pipe, but have to admit, this blend is a little more refined and sophisticated. It has more depth, and can make EMP seem kinda monotone.

The Virginias give a nice base, the orientals a nice sour (in a good way) tang, and the latakia is there, but definitely not in a super strong way. The perique gives me that nice tickle in the nose on the retrohale, and does add to the blend nicely.

So there you have it folks, this blend is really good. It is so good that 9 years of derelict storage cannot even hold you back.
Pipe Used: Peterson St. Patricks 2008 XL02
Sep 26, 2019 Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
Nice tin note, burns well. There's a lot going on here, but there's an unpleasant bitterness that kind of drowns out the creamy/sweet/smoky parts. I'm hoping 6 months or a year will smooth it out and allow the components to mesh better as it's a little rougher than what I want in an English.

EDIT, 10/07/19: I'm smoking this blend in a MM Marcus. The bitterness is mostly gone, leaving behind the sweet/creamy smoky parts, and I'm enjoying it a lot more. Maybe it's the pipe, or my palate was off the last couple times I smoked it. I'm adding a star.
Pipe Used: Pete System 302, MM Charles Town Cobbler & Marcus
PurchasedFrom: smokingpipes.com
Jul 31, 2019 Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable
Chelsea Morning: A bright English blend

The Virginia varietals are primarily sweet, then tangy, with some grassy-bright notes. The Cyprian latakia comes next in flavors with its normal cedar-smokiness. I appreciate how Mr. Pease added enough latakia to hold your interest every puff, though it balances well with the Virginias and oriental leaf. The orientals add a pleasant dry quality and a little sourness to the smoke. There is a whisper of perique present, which adds a little complexity (specifically a fermented quality) to the blend. This is my favorite middle-of-the-road English blend. Usually, I find similar blends to lack depth or flavor, but Chelsea Morning can keep my interest.
Jan 24, 2018 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
I've been looking for an early/all day English Blend for quite some time now. GLP's Quiet Nights is my go-to English as the sun gets lower in the sky, but with a morning cup, it can be a bit much. I'm not a huge fan of the "other" Morning blend, so when I came across Chelsea Morning, it sounded like it might check all of the boxes and so I put my order in and anxiously awaited what could be my all-day English blend to arrive.

Upon opening the tin, the Latakia is apparent, but subdued. Which I considered a good thing. The Virginias were more on the fresh hay/citrus spectrum, and I thought that would be great for a smoke early in the morning.

The cut is a chunky ribbon, but easy enough to pack and light. The mechanics are spot on and I have no issues smoking it down to the heel with little or no relights.

The taste. Here is where things get a little...complicated. In the right pipe, this blend is astounding. Sweet, fragrant and complex with flavors and aromas of incense, citrus, honey and spice. However, in the wrong pipe, it leans towards harsh and acrid, and you get none of the sweet Virginia flavors to balance out some of the more assertive condiment tobaccos.

I have found that I need to smoke this in a pipe with a tall, narrow bowl rather than a wide, shallow bowl. I like most of my English blends in wide open bowls in order to taste all of the component leaves, but I like to smoke my Virginia blends in taller bowls that let the sweeter leaves shine and let the condiment leaves play a supporting role. Because Chelsea Morning is such a complex blend, but still relies on the Virginias as its foundation, I treat it more as a Virginia blend rather than an English.

Once I figured out this little idiosyncrasy, I have really enjoyed the blend. And I dare say that if you aged this blend for a year or two, it would be a transcending experience as an all day smoke.

I will say that I get more nicotine off of this blend that some others, so I generally like to have something in my stomach in the morning before lighting it up.

Overall, I really like the blend and enjoy it very much. I docked it a star simply because it is so finicky about the type of pipe that it prefers. Sometimes the ideal pipe is not ready in the rotation, so that eliminates Chelsea Morning from the lineup for that day. However, I still recommend trying it and possibly aging it to see if that rounds out some its persnickety characteristics as the Virginias continue to age and sweeten.
Pipe Used: Bulldog, Canadian, Dublin, Pot, Egg
PurchasedFrom: Smokingpipes.com
Age When Smoked: New from Tin
Dec 10, 2017 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable
G. L. Pease - Chelsea Morning

This one strikes me as similar to C&D's Plantation Evening although here the flavors are more melded together, likely by a difference of processing.  A lighter english blend where the different flavors tend towards mild but certainly not boring. There is some creaminess and spice but often the mouthfeel strikes me as dusty, but not in a bad way.  A good english blend at a time when you may not want a hard core latakia blast or oriental blast.  Pretty well balanced.  It can turn a bit ashy in the bottom half, I think going at it too hard may be a contributing factor there.  The particular cut lends well to smoldering rather than all out combustion so these bowls tend to last awhile.  It is a blend that can show you different nuances of flavor and mouthfeel at different times, probably also owing to it's cut.  Despite being a worthy and high quality blend, I don't feel particularly strongly about this one.  But it's worth three stars at the least.

target="_blank"