A light bodied, British style Virginia Blend. Special leaf selection and processing, and an extra-fine cut give this exceptional blend its unique character and elegance. An impressive presentation of color and appearance, and satisfying flavor and aroma makes Three Sails an unforgettable blend. contains 100% flue-cured Gold Leaf tobaccos with natural preservatives added.

BrandD & R Tobacco
PipesAndCigars.com
Strength
Taste

2.9

Reminds me exactly of Three Castles, which I used to enjoy, and I suspected this is what the Castles once was, something blender Mark Ryan has confirmed to me as he blended Three Castles for years. When Three Castles was discontinued, Ryan continued to make it as Three Sails. It's a simple uncomplicated Virginia with natural citrusy sweetness and some grassiness. I also get a few familiar notes that reminds me of Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic. I'm not comparing those two blends because they are different (e.g., SWRA has a topping and burley, and this has neither), but they both must use a similar type of Virginia. Has a mild to medium nic-note. Puff at a slow to moderate rate, and Three Sails will do well, won’t bite (even if puffed fast) or get harsh or cigarette-like. Has a very consistent flavor from start to finish, and easily burns to ash with hardly a relight. Leaves virtually no moisture in the bowl, and being a dry shag cut, burns quickly, but not hot if you pace the smoke. I do suggest a light hydration. Has a pleasant after taste and is an all day smoke.

-JimInks

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (91)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

...Over the last 51 years of being a dedicated pipe smoker, I've always had an affinity for shag tobaccos...From the early 1960's onward, I've kept shag cut tobaccos in my rotation...I particularly enjoy Three Castles pure Virginia shag and while it is no longer available, I have found a rather suitable replacement...Three Sails!

A very nice shag cut, quality tobaccos, and light aroma, make this mixture of 100% blended Virginias, a first rate pipe tobacco. Uncomplicated, this mixture is plain and simple...and sometimes that's a good thing. In comparing this to the original Three Castles, of which I have several 100 gr. tins still left from 1982, it is very similar in all aspects...main difference is that 30 years of aging has made Three Castles, a very mellow smoking experience...like sipping a fine dessert wine.

A bit dry out of the 14 oz. bag, I keep this tobacco moist in order to control burn and heat rate. In a group 4-5 size pipe I get a good 30-35 minute smoke. Granted, it won't be at the "top" of everyone's tobacco list, but if you want a straight forward pure Virginia, it is a most worthy choice.

Rated 4 stars because it meets all of my criteria for what constitutes a first class tobacco and smoke...

...a pipe is to be savored...

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

If you have ever wished for a Virginia version of Five Brothers, this is it. The cut is similar. It is a strong and sweet.

I hydrated it a little because mine came very dry and packed it a little tight. The smoke is fairly quick even in a large bowl. The nature of a very fine cut like this is that the bowl gains strength and becomes a little harsh at the end. Essentially you are smoking the "filter" in the last 1/4 of the bowl.

Don't get this looking for complexity or nuance. It is a great basic golden Virginia smoke, and the price point is attractive.

Mild None Detected Mild Very Pleasant

I think there is something in Three Sails to slow down the burn rate as this is as fine a shag cut tobacco as you will find, and the strands are not long... well, in comparison to Five Brothers and other shag cut style tobaccos. This is an all Virginia tobacco and I think it would work well for the RYO crowd, too. Light, smooth and just a wee bit on the grassy sweet side. And this one, despite being all Virginia, never nipped, even though I was puffing kind of hard because it was hard for me to find the depth of flavor and strength that I normally enjoy with leaf of this type.

DeathMetal.org Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeathMetal.org (155)
Extremely Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Summary: Not a good match for "Three Castles," which was a sweet-sour thin cut Virginia mix, but a pleasant sweet Virginia.

I smoked "Three Castles" for many years. "Three Sails" entirely misses what made Three Castles great: its balance of flavors making for a pleasurable smoke in and of itself. "Three Sails" is straight sweet Virginias in a shag cut -- although half of my order was shake that is entirely unsmokeable -- and has none of the depth or the sweet-sour flavor. Instead, this is merely sweet and dry and smells like a cigarette when burned. If you add it to "Five Brothers" in a 50-50 mix and then toss in some Perique, it makes a decent albeit acidic and sweet Va/Per.

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Emeritus Account Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Emeritus Account (28795)
Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Right out of the bag your greeted with the pleasant smell of real fresh vacuum sealed tobacco from the farm. No casing, only the expertise of North Carolina flue curing from Mark Ryan on bright leaf Virginia sweetly covering the taste buds. A full mouth of smoke is expected if you pack the pipe well and inhaled its all british kick in the lungs. The shag is tightly packed in brick formation so break it out in layers and cut to your length. Burns kinda hot if you pull on it alot and like Ryback it looses flavor 2/3 into the bowl from absorbing tar like a small fine shag does. It can be had for less than a buck and a half an ounce so why bother with a full bowl anyway. love this sweet and strong sailors tobacco, in a stick or bowl it pleases

Craig

Update; just recieved several pounds of "bulk" split amongst two bags from pipesandcigars.com. at 1.40 an ounce its not possible to find a good simple tobacco of this quality. This batch was a little dryer and not as fresh as vac sealed bags of 14oz right from D&R. It is still quite fresh and moist and in answer to other reviews forget about machine rolling this fine shag. It will jam. Just smoke a fairly tight bowl and it was classic english flavored and strong. The sweetness is very light and on the beginning of each puff. Mix it with your favorite stuff to make it really burn nice and mix flavors nicely.

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

I was given a much larger sample of this than I wanted. Particularly after I had the chance to try it. This is not a horrible blend, but it just did not do much for me. My first puffs of this just screamed RYO cigarette taste and not much else, but as I got down to the last third, I actually did get some nice Virginia sweetness that took it out of the cigarette realm. Then, next thing you know it was finished.

This all happened pretty quickly and is one reason I really don't like crimp cut tobaccos. They never pack optimally to me and this is quickly evidenced by how fast they burn. I heard one reviewer say that this is like the Virginia version of 5 brothers and I think that is pretty apt. But you won't be clobbered over the head with nicotine as you will with the brothers.

Otherwise, it is in a crimp cut, comes pretty dry and burns pretty fast. I am not a fan and won't repurchase, but I could see recommending this to the right person. Some people really like the crimp cuts.

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (216)

I didn’t smoke a large variety of tobaccos this past summer. The weather was too hot for some of my favorites and I was often too busy for longer smokes. This had me searching for a quick burning and flavorful warm weather tobacco. I ultimately stumbled upon Daughters & Ryan’s Three Sails, a shag cut bright Virginia mixture of good quality.

Three Sails packs and burns with ease. Due to its thin cut and lower moisture content, the flavor strength takes no time to develop. And while this isn’t a complex smoke, it does offer up a few nuances. What I like most about Three Sails is that it presents the typical light, grassy, sweet cereal and citrus like flavors of a bright Virginia blend, only with more bravado and also a bit of spice.

Frankly, I was a little confused as to what Mark Ryan meant by “British Style Virginia Blend.” I guess I was expecting something Kendal like, perhaps with an added scenting of some kind, but Three Sails tastes like natural Virginia tobacco with no additional flavorings. Altogether, I really enjoy this blend. It’s a good clean tasting smoke and an excellent bargain.

HabaneroHardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HabaneroHardy (189)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild Unnoticeable

I was able to smoke a few bowls of this at ‘the club’ and it is a fairly decent cigarette tobacco with the shag cut of the old DRUM RYO tobacco you could buy a long time ago and probably still can but read there are two versions. Anyway, back to the review. Sweet smelling, grassy and maybe a little honey or sugar casing but can’t really say. With the first puff I got a blast through my nostrils like a bullet. Burns fast due to the cut and could bite if not sipped slowly. An alright tobacco but not in my preference category but always great to try something new. Bottom line is it will be sometime before that ship sails when I try this again. Pun intended.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum

Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

Part two of the 3 Castles vs 3 Sails. Looked and smelled similar to 3 Castles, but a bit more blonde in color. I didn't know anyone that smoked 3 Castles, even occasionally, so I'm not sure why anyone would bring it back in this iteration. But they did, and I only smoked 3 bowls of it, so take this review with a grain or six of salt.

Based on my limited experience here, Mark Ryan did a fabulous job of recreating 3 Castles. Same boring, flat taste, same bit of citrus with hay and grass, same cigarette notes. This was quite a bit more dry than the 3 Castles, but I don't recommend hydration, as it loses what little flavor it has once hydrated. If you're one of those rare birds that smoked the original, give this a spin. This would be an upgrade for cigarette smokers and I would think it would be best enjoyed as an RYO, regardless of the claim of "pipe tobacco" on the container. I don't know if this is typical, but the person who gave me this said there was a lot of "shake" in the container (shake is small crumbs of loose tobacco that you probably don't want to smoke). Nothing to upset your tastebuds here - not much real flavor at all, even when snorked. But certainly nothing to write home about. But it seems there are those that enjoy this in a pipe, so enjoy on!

tschenyinkoh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tschenyinkoh (51)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Tin note: mostly sour and woody with a little bit grassy and fruity smell.

When smoking: Pretty good, earthy and fermented smell; plain and simple; no bite, no harsh.

Only complain is the shag cut that I think it would only work well for the RYO crowd than pipe smokers. If there were a flake or plug version, that will be four stars raing.

Pipe Used: churchwarden

Age When Smoked: three monthes

Purchased From: 1 oz bulk from pipesandcigars

Similar Blends: HBI - Three Castles.

wintermute Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wintermute (74)
Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Tolerable

I originally bought this for my aunt who rolls her own. She gave me a bit to try and it was probably the best I have ever had in this genre. She likes a mild smoke without complication or harshness. This fit the bill perfectly. Now, in the pipe it seemed a little lacking in taste and the smoke was thinner than I like. It comes a bit dry in the bag, but that is because they know that many will use this for cigarette tobacco.When I actually did roll one up, it really came alive. The flavor was smooth and the taste was sweet and more complete than you might think. I am reminded of Mac Barren Choice rolling tobacco that I came across back in the day. All this is to say that this is Carter Hall all grown up. If you need an economical tobacco for rolling that will not be harsh and yet have lots of flavor, this is a must try. If you need something to fill the pipe, you might want to look elsewhere.

Purchased From: Pipepsandcigars.com

Similar Blends: Carter Hall Peter Stokkebye Danish Export.

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (303)

Another very high quality RYO tobacco, and I mean the highest quality American RYO I have yet tried and I have tried just about all of them. Very finely cut, a shag cut if you will with a cedar aroma in the bag. I used a simple Gambler brand hand roller and had no trouble whatsoever and I was complimented on the room note. If you are a RYO guy and want the very best the US has to offer, by all means pick up some D&R, you will be pleasantly surprised!!

Thbg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thbg (29)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

This is a super fine cut shag, and is a RYO blend of all VA tobacco. You could smoke this in a pipe and it says pipe tobacco on the tin, but I am fairly sure this is to be intended for RYO. I know because I have ingested an embarrassing amount of PS RYO's over the last several years and this is the same cut, style, flavor, etc.

Similar Blends: PS London Export RYO, PS Danish Export RYO.

marper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
marper (8)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Unnoticeable

This is definately a RYO tobacco. The shag cut stuffs nicely. I think any Marlboro smoker would like this blend. There is not a lot of flavor just straight tobacco. If you smoke Marlboro and looking for a daily smoke you may like this one. The only reason I dont give it 4 stars is that it does lack in flavor and since starting RYO I prefer tobacco that taste better than a plain jane store bought cigarette. But if your not into trying different tobaccos and just want a straight forward tobacco this is it.

StevieB (1903)
Medium None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

D & R Tobacco - Three Sails.

Inside the tin sits a VERY fine shag; finer than I remember cigarette tobacco to be. I can't fault the moistness, and the colour's medium and light brown.

The smoke? On the plus side it lights easily and burns steady, but I don't like the flavour. I find it vacuous and empty. Sure, there are a few light qualities, hay, grass, etc., but nothing which I find entertaining. No richness, sweetness, or fruitiness, just a bland character. I guess if this is what you're looking for in a pipe, a cigarette-like/shallow/unostentatious flavour there'll be no complaints, but it doesn't suit me. Sorry.

Nicotine: medium. Room-note: not good.

I hate to sound miserable, but this isn't for me. Not recommended:

One star.

Pipe Used: Altinok Lee Van Cleef; my Friday pipe.

Age When Smoked: 09/05/19

noquarter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
noquarter (23)
Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

At first I can't seem to make this tobacco work for me. Tried it on several briar pipes and can't pull a great smoke out of it. Tried it on a tiny Kaywoodie drinkless and now I know that this tobacco sure wants it tight and restricted. Too mild for my tastes and was very much tempted to inhale because it reminds me of a good cigarette. Somewhat recommended for what it is.

Edit This blend grows on you. Clean, sweet, all natural tobacco goodness. Give it a chance, you may like it.

Emeritus Account Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Emeritus Account (28795)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Reviewing as RYO/MYO tobacco. "Eyelash" / very fine shag cut conducive to hand rolling. My bag a little moist for stuffing tubes at first. Staight forward "natural" flavor with a hint of something. If the nice aroma you get when sharping a pencil was a flavor, that is what I think best describes the taste, I think wonderful. Sweetness balances with everything, not noticed. First impression, sprightly on the senses, in a nice way. No aftertaste/mouth feel issues. Does not burn too hot. Excellent tobacco for RYO/MYO in every way. I think best starting point for a beginner, I wish Three Sails was my first purchase. Four stars.

Edited 6/26/12: Sampled another purchase, as nice as the first. Add that this is quick burning smoke, nothing fancy to contemplate, just nice strait forward flavor.

Tomcat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tomcat (30)

The finest ryo tobacco out there . Add a little perique or five bros for a change . Very sweet Virginia and will leave that Tobacco candy taste on the inside of the top of your mouth . As a pipe tobacco , no it is not .

Pipe Used: None

Purchased From: Pipes and cigars

Similar Blends: Ryo shags.

HeavyMetalPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HeavyMetalPiper (65)

Fruity Virginia tin note, not much else going on.

Grassy, citrus flavor. Not a lot of variety with this blend, but its simplicity is what makes it shine.

You can see my video review of this blend here:

YouTube Video

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Bent Apple Diplomat

Age When Smoked: 1 1/2 Years

Purchased From: Tobacco Pipes

Pi'd Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pi'd Piper (7)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

Full disclosure: New pipe smoker

Mechanically, this is a great blend. Easy to pack, easy to light and easy to keep lit. You could easily smoke a full bowl on one match. I moistened mine before smoking and found a little moisture at the end, but no dottle. No tongue bite, although it gets a bit harsh when smoked hot.

Different from a lot of Virginias I've tried thus far. Less sweet, more nutty/earthy. Takes a little work to tease out the flavor, but you're rewarded, especially on the retrohale. I found the strength, taste, and nic hit all to be mild. All in all, it's a simple blend that you could repeat all day. I tend to prefer something less subtle, but I'm not at all unhappy with this one.

One nice note, the room note clears relatively quickly, so if you smoke in the house, it's generally gone by morning.

Age When Smoked: 1 year