Three Virginia's combined with Latakia. All in the correct proportions. Smooth traditional English blend.

BrandB&B Tobacconists, llc
Blended ByDavid Barnes
ContentsLatakia, Virginia
Strength
None Detected, Very Mild
Taste
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable

This North Carolina tobacco shop has always had nice house blends. I am not sure which company made Country Gentleman for them but it was a nice easy Latakia/Virginia combination that came only in bulk. Who knows, they may still be offering it. I smoked this one in 2011 and although a little lighter and less smoky than I prefer my English blends, it had a nice flavor for an even better price. Not a lot of depth, but when smoked slowly, offered a nice, almost delicate English presentation.

Phonomet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phonomet (44)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I just made another trip to Asheville and, as usual, stopped by B&B's. Their house blends have really impressed me so far (OLB and Scott's companion). Country Gentleman is another lovely blend. This is a very Virginia forward English. The latakia is used as a condiment and lets the sweet and and sour VA's sing. Surprised that I'm the first to review this tobacco. It needs some more attention!

TotoPipeDreams Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TotoPipeDreams (8)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

In my experience, this blend must be smoked slowly and preferably in a wide bowl. Purportedly it’s just VA & Latakia in the blend but it feels to me as though there are lots of components that all jockey for first position throughout the smoke.

The most dominant flavor I’m getting is a vinegary sweetness like ketchup. Big time vinegar. It almost makes me sweat. An occasional, light vanilla note comes through, and a peppery vinegar on the retrohale (akin to perique). Doesn’t bite but kinda dries my tongue out. Latakia is faint. Overall it lacks depth of flavor for me which is what I love best about English blends. Smoked too fast and it tastes like rubber...? (I tried in two pipes of differing shapes and this happened both times).

In summation, to me this is more of an Virginian blend with a fake British accent than a full l-on English. If you are a straight VA or VAPer smokers coming around to Latakia, give this a try. If you are an English lover maybe skip out on this one. Similar and better B&B blend IMO is Frog Level.

Pipe Used: Kaywoodie White Briar shape 69, Royal Danish

Purchased From: B&B Tobacconist Asheville

Similar Blends: Frog Level - B&B Tobacconist Asheville.

Appalachian Chef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Appalachian Chef (52)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I'm very fortunate to have B&B Tobacconists in my area. I went in today to pick up a new blend and found this one to be delightful. I typically smoke aromatics, but found this traditional English blend to be very good. The Latakia is very light and subtle, while the Virginia is up front and splendid. I'll keep this for when I'm in an English mood, and will continue supporting my local artisans. Well done, gents.

Pipe Used: Falcon Genoa