Scandinavian Tobacco Group (STG) Greve Hamilton Blandning

(2.26)
Notes: Swedens foremost pipe tobacco with a clean taste and sweetness from the tobacco itself. No artificial fooling around allowed in these pouches. Can easily be smoked with great pleasure occasionally or for, as many Swedes do, a lifetime. The Grev Hamilton Blandning has been sold since 1924.

Details

Brand Scandinavian Tobacco Group (STG)
Blended By

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

2.26 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 1 - 6 of 6 Reviews
Jul 30, 2013 Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant
This tobacco is a holy thing here in sweden. Everyone you speak to about pipesmoking (in sweden) young or old is gonna tell you to buy and try this pipetobacco - Greve Gilbert Hamiltons blandning. And why is that you might ask? The answer is...tradition! Yes, tradition. Your grandads dad smoked this when it came out 1924 and his son after him and the sonson and now you have bought your first 300kr pipe and a pouch of "the Count". You pack your pipe real bad the first time and put a match to it and inhale and...it forgives you for how bad you´ve packed the pipe. It burns quite well and doesn´t need to be relit most of the times. Thats why it is good starter for any "pipenoob". I did this trial and it took me...8 years to admit to myself that this is what a genuine pipetobacco should be.

After this i jumped on the Aromatics line and for a while i liked them better than the regular blends. But now i´m back where it all begun. Enough about me...

I like this tobacco in all ways, except the taste. I find it to be little cigarett-feeling about it. Maybe it is just me or the fine cut the tobacco is cut in. I love the roomnote, that is the best about it. Second comes the smell of the baccy itself and the looks of it. If only the taste would be more like "round" and not so sharp i could have smoked this more often. I can bite you if you´re not careful (i seem to puff to heavy).

I think this tobacco has been "sold out" a bit too much. It deserves a higher place than a simple supermarket tobacco. This is a classic and i will puff it between my other blends that i have just to remind myself how a "cheap*-gasstation-sold-in- wending-machines-tobacco" can taste so much of tradition.

*= Tobacco in Sweden isn´t cheap at all.
Sep 07, 2015 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
The pouch note is fruit, and there are narrow long(ish) ribbons of yellows and browns. The description says black cavendish, but the darkest of the ribbons do not seem to be black cavendish.

I tried smoking this in a few pipes - group 2 prince, a medium billiard, and a large pot. The best flavors were in the pot, so I dedicated that pipe to Greve Hamilton for the rest of the pouch.

Smoked I get a VaBur on the Va end of the spectrum. There is a bright virginia zest and some grass. I taste some spicy oriental and some Kentucky provides a mild pepper and bumps the strength to the medium end of the mild-> medium range. There is a slight sweet that tastes like red Virginia and I think that is what the darkest of the ribbons really are (and not black cavendish). The smoking experience reminds me a little of Chestnut, although Chestnut has latakia, so a different taste profile.

This is a great smoke and not available in the US, so I am unlikely to smoke more of it. I am glad to have had the experience. I can understand that it is popular in Sweden.

Don't try this hoping for a lot of "wow." It is a solid smoke though.
Oct 01, 2009 Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant
my first (pipe) tobacco. i'd always enjoyed the room note with its lovely smell of baked apples, and when my mentor gave me a pipe, matches and a pouch of "the count", i really looked forward to tasting the same notes. i didn't, of course, untill much later, as it's a quite powerfull tobacco, with a rather dominating share of kentucky right next to its virginia base. i'm not sure i recognize any cavendish here, but it may be responsible for the flavourings?

it smokes quite fast if you're not carefull, and invariably ends up wet in larger pipes. relights are quite unpleasant. ergo: smoke only small pipefulls. quite strong as it is, you won't need more, anyway. i like it quite well, as it's a reasonably honest and straightforward blend, but i may be partly influenced by nostalgia, too.

the brand is Swedish Match, but it's being produced by Orlik. i see no difference between today's count and the one i tried 27 years ago. still quite strong, flavoured with apple juice and other stuff - and really a quite decent smoke. recommended if you're in Sweden and low on the real stuff (like, say, walnut flake).
Aug 10, 2014 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Unnoticeable
Picked up a pouch on a whim, when I was in Sweden last time. I make a habit of buying a pouch of OTC non chased tobaccos where ever I get the chance, when I travel and have so forth not been disapointed. Not this time either, a good tasteful smoke with hints of some sweetness. Packs and lights easily, burns the same. My pouch was rather dry when bought, but that I am somewhat particular to anyway.
Pipe Used: Diverse variants, most happy with tall billiards
PurchasedFrom: Godisfabrikken, Charlottenberg
Age When Smoked: ?
Jul 24, 2021 Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Strong
My first proper blend, a rather hard blend, sweet chocolate pouch note, with a kind of orange tint to the tobacco, i always associate it with metal work, so i Always describe the taste as "birch wood, cutting compound and blacksmith's shop" To be respected as the blend can bite beginners
Pipe Used: Hilson mondial 360
PurchasedFrom: Crummy gas station
Age When Smoked: Semi fresh
Dec 29, 2013 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant
Sweet with a little fig like flavor in the mix. Leaving a wonderful fragrance in the room which smoked in. This mixture is a true Swedish classic
Pipe Used: Smaller pipe bowl recommended