An all natural mixture of Latakia, Perique and burley with a Virginia ribbon base. This special blend is unusually mild.

Notes: This was an Atlas Blending Corp. mixture. Cornell and Diehl bought the rights of all their old recipes.

ContentsBurley, Latakia, Perique, Virginia
Strength
Taste
2.5

This arrived at a good hydration for smoking. It is an irregular cut with wide ribbons of varying length and a few fish flakes. I got some "shake" in my baggie, so it may have come from the bottom of the bag when the order was filled.

It is really a VaBur+ in terms of smoking. The burley is nutty and there is a slight citrus in the yellow Virgina. The latakia and perique are just a little over condimental. You can identify them in the flavors, but they are not really "forward."

In all this was a pleasant but unexciting smoke. It is really a 2.5 for me. I could smoke it all day if this was all I had. I am not likely to buy more.

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The smokey, woody, lightly sweet Cyprian latakia is present in a moderate amount. The nutty, toasty burley has a little sweetness and is a little more obvious than the grassy, light citrus Virginia, which is mainly acting as a base for the other components. The light raisin, very peppery perique has a strong continual presence through out the experience, more so than the Virginia. It fights for attention with the other components and in short bursts here and there, almost takes a lead. That indicates the tobaccos are not properly mixed. The nic-hit is mild to medium. Needs a light hydration, and when done, burns at a more reasonable rate, fairly cool, very clean with a very mild sweetness. Few relights are needed, and it easily burns to ash with very little moisture in the bowl. The after taste is smoke, wood and pepper, and that pepper lingers a little. It doesn’t bite, but the perique does tingle the tongue. Can be an all day smoke. It gets two and a half stars in the mild genre of English blends because of the lack of complexity and depth, and muddled inconsistency of taste.

-JimInks

RickG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RickG (1)

This is my 1st review. I like Stanhope a lot. As the 3rd reviewer of Stanhope, I already saw a pattern from the first 2 reviews: a person who prefers strong English blends found the tobacco of high quality, but gave only 1 star. Another person who prefers less powerful English blends, likes this a lot and gives 3 stars. I like Stanhope for the same reasons. I'm newer to English blends, and with the old saying, "Everything is relative", I find Stanhope to be a medium strength and medium taste tobacco. I'm enjoying this tobacco a lot. I'm coming from years smoking aromatics, then adding English Lakeland floral flakes to my collection, then about a year ago adding aromatic/English hybrid mixes. I also added Squadron Leader and My Mixture 965 to my likes, if that helps indicate where I'm coming from...

Pipe Used: Vauen 9mm filtered

Age When Smoked: purchased a few days ago

Emeritus Account Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Emeritus Account (28795)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Stanhope is a real find for me. I enjoy a good English blend but am put off by the "heaviness" of most English tobaccos I've tried. I don't like Perique to slap me across the face and make beads of sweat run down my forehead. Latakia is a good condiment but can have a room note that would make unexpected company think that the plumbing in the home is malfunctioning. Stanhope is a mellow pipesmoker's friend and offers none of the usual English over the top tastiness.

The initial light is heavy with spice from the perique but a few minutes of DGT and a second light provides a mellowing that is pleasant and steady. Mid-bowl is an awesome smoke with the sweetness of Virgina coming through balanced well with a good burley taste. Latakia is just right and makes it's presence known without being a nuisance. Perique leaves off to stand in the background, nodding its head as if to say, "I told you this would be good."

An all-day English if there ever was one if handled and smoked with the respect a good pipe tobacco deserves.

StevieB (1902)

Cornell & Diehl - Stanhope.

This would have been FAR better had it not arrived dry as a bone! Never mind, you can't win 'em all!

Forgetting about the dryness, the mixture's mainly medium and light browns with far less black pieces. Although it smells English the aroma doesn't imply it's to be a Lat-Bomb.

As your conjecture would lead you to believe, from the hydration, it lights MORE than easily. And then burns like the clappers! So, we've already attested that the mechanics of Stanhope are far from the best, but, those aside, the flavour isn't too bad. The Latakia's a definite addition, although, it doesn't dominate the smoke. The Lat' has a stronger presence for the first quarter bowl, but calms down after this. The Burley's a formidable ingredient, and gives clear flavour; nutty, slightly rugged. The Perique has a sharp/spicy character, and adds life and vibrancy to the smoke; it's presence can't be mistaken. The Virginia, unequivocally, is the lightest of the ingredients; unpretentious, with a 'bready' quality. As I highlighted, I don't rate the way it performs in the bowl, but on the plus side I get no bite!

Nicotine: just below medium. Room-note: not nice.

Stanhope? Considering everything I'll give it two stars:

Somewhat recommended.

Pipe Used: Ben Wade Albert's Theory

Age When Smoked: Three weeks

1979 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
1979 (62)

Reckon this is what you'd call a light english. It has the essence of an english but yet is bastardized by the addition of burley...which as it turns out is half the main event.

Leathery, sweet, nutty and woody, slightly smoky and a little bit of pepper.

What I like about this blend: latakia is used in truly condimental fashion, no lat bomb allowed here. So there's that.

I think this would be a good "starter" or "introductory" english, or if you'd like something english essence but not as heavy or full as usual.

Emeritus Account Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Emeritus Account (28795)
Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

General Comment for All C&D Blends. So far, all my samples have burned clean and dry. They contain quality ingredients. If purchased fresh from C&D, I find that I must adjust the moisture content, and let them rest for 3-6 months before sampling. They change flavor dramatically in just a few months.

This is an attractive looking blend balanced between dark and bright pieces. The pouch aroma is almost nothing. There is the faintest hint of the aroma of an English Latakia-Oriental blend, but the aroma is hardly noticeable. The taste is extremely mild English blend with a touch of brightness that is most likely from the Perique. Although I really like Perique blends, its not working for me in Stanhope. The smoke is too mild, and for me, there is a lot of bite. On the other hand, if you do not like strong full blends, this might really appeal to you. It?s a quality blend that burns clean and dry to a whitish gray ash. Since I tend to prefer really strong blends, I'll have to pass on this.

Lobo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lobo (7)
Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

This tastes like C and D John Marr with Latakia and perique added. Very light on the Latakia. The perique starts out spicy then the sweetness of Virginia and burley come through. This is where it has the same flavor as John Marr. Maybe it’s the same sauce

Pipe Used: Rhodesian