Cornell & Diehl Yorktown

(3.00)
For Yorktown, the folks at Cornell & Diehl combine stoved red Virginia with bright Virginia and restoved it. Straight red Virginia is then added to this remarkable base for sweetness. The acme of mixtures for the Virginia purist!

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.00 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 1 - 10 of 12 Reviews
Jan 29, 2016 Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable
When I first received this blend it was super dry, but that is what I've come to expect from C&D bulk. I was underwhelmed by the bag note, though I could smell a very slight sweetness, but I really had to go looking for it. I decided to try this in a cob first, and that was a mistake. I think because of the open draft of the cob and the fact that the tobacco was so dry, this blend burned super hot. There is a spiciness to the blend already and if it burns too hot it just over amplifies this. After I switched to briar, I was able to get a little more of the flavors from it, but that spicy note is always there in the background. If you sip this, there is a nice bread/toast flavor that comes through. The retro hale is loaded with the sweet dried fruit flavors, so it allowed me to vary the experience adding that needed complexity. This blend can be harsh and gets an ashy taste pretty quick if you let it, but what surprised me was the last third ramps up in flavor adding that fruit note to the toasty flavor on the palate.

This is not a bad VA, but because I had to really focus on it to get what I wanted it would not be something that I purchase again. I think this blend could very greatly with the pipe used, so I'll experiment with what I have left. Someone mentioned using this as a blending tobacco and I think that could be a good idea since there is a lot of sweetness here, especially if it was able to pick up some moisture from the another tobacco. Pressing this with an oriental could be really nice.
Pipe Used: MM Patriot, Bent Duca Carlo
PurchasedFrom: Pipes and Cigars
Age When Smoked: New bag
Sep 18, 2014 Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable
I had high hopes for this one but I must say I'm just terribly disappointed. No virginia sweetness detected at all. None of the hay-like flavor or any other attributes I look for in a good straight virginia blend. Bland and boring that leaves an unpleasant musty aftertaste. I did mix it 50/50 with Stokkebye's Sweet Virginia and that made for a pleasant smoke. If your looking for a good inexpensive straight virginia blend I would suggest looking elsewhere.
Pipe Used: various
PurchasedFrom: smokingpipes.com
Age When Smoked: Fresh Bulk
Mar 28, 2008 Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
Yorktown is a short-cut medium ribbon with a tin aroma which is earthy and grassy, a very natural scent.

The flavor is herbal and, again, grassy. There is a light touch of sweetness, simple and rustic with a vague citric quality. Overall, there is an impression of rawness and earth which gives this blend a homey, rural quality.

Try this if you want a rustic and straightforward Virginia. It is pleasant and inoffensive. This went best in a narrow to medium gauge chamber.
Aug 12, 2004 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable
The red virginia components mentioned in the description encouraged me to try this blend. I am a dedicated red virginia smoker, prefering the depth of flavor and natural sweetness. My sample was somewhat dry, but still within the range that I consider smokeable. The charing light did not reveal the bitterness that some other C&D blends have produced during my testing. The flavor was consistent throughout. I found the flavor acceptable, but never detected the subtle sweetness that I expected from the red virginias. The flavor was never very exciting. The tobacco burned cleanly to the bottom with no tongue bite.
Feb 27, 2021 Mild None Detected Medium Very Pleasant
Starts slightly sweet. Gets spicy quick. My tin is about 4 years old but still tastes kinda young. Very 1 note and basic. Doesn’t bite, but the spice tingles your tongue. Could be mistaken for bite. Maybe needs like 10 years age? Until then, maybe a good blending tobacco.
Pip
Apr 05, 2018 Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable
Some say that Yorktown is a very under rated blend. So I decided to get some and try it out for myself. I got 2oz of Bulk. Immediately I knew from the tin note this is was very fresh and was going to need some age…serious age 8-10 years. So I jarred it up and kept a couple of pinches for a taste. The tin note was fresh and sweet. No tangy smell at all. Very much like a cigarette tobacco smell. Looks like cigarette tobacco too. Moisture was perfect and it lit up and stayed lit the entire time. As for taste…..this was very mild for me and I had to coax the flavors out of it….some bread, toast, caramel, honey, hay, grass. Nothing in your face. Very subtle….to me what’s the point? I’m working to hard on this. Maybe some age will do it some good. The tobacco is of fine quality and doesn’t bite at all. But with so many blends to try I’m going to pass on this for now. I retry in 10 yrs and see.
Pipe Used: Peterson Summertime 69
DCD
Oct 06, 2017 Very Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable
I bought this in bulk and it was drier than I prefer. It is a finely cut shag, which can creep into your draft hole if you're not careful. Overall I find this to be a rather bland and monochromatic Virginia, But as others have noted, it can be put to good use for blending (hence the second of two stars). I've used it 50/50 with Dunhill Durbar, which I like but is too strong for me as a regular tobacco (I guess I am not as "mature and experienced" as I thought). The result is a very pleasant smoke with more roundness and sweetness than straight Durbar. So the large amounts of both tobaccos I unwisely ordered will find a use. On its own, though, given all the truly interesting and well-made Virginias available, Yorktown is a disappointing smoke that does not show this noble leaf to good effect.
Pipe Used: Dublin's and billiards
PurchasedFrom: Pipes and Cigars
Age When Smoked: fresh from bulk
Feb 06, 2016 Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong
I thought I was going to love this, but to me it tasted too much like cigarettes. It has a good nic hit, which I usually love. But this tobacco put a bad taste in my mouth and stomach. Well, it was not THAT bad 🙂
Nov 23, 2015 Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable
Short ribbon cut of mid to light brown tobacco. My bag came tinder dry.

Bag note is wet hay and grass.

This is a mild to medium fairly sweet tobacco with a very grassy profile. I get some citrus notes but none of the dried fruit other reviewers have noted. The smoke can be a bit acidic and harsh. Tends towards the hot as might be expected from any Va in a ribbon or shag form.

This is an easy, simple smoke that might be a good starting point for a transitioning cigarette smoker. Veteran Va lovers will probably not be swayed from the numerous flakes that offer a more complex experience than Yorktown can deliver.

Not a bad smoke by any stretch, but not for me.
Pipe Used: Lepeltier
Jul 04, 2005 Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable
Briar Fox is the C&D virgina I use as a guide to rate other C&D virginias. Yorktown was a little dull for me; just middle of the road. There was nothing too bright nor too strong. The tobaccos are of high quality but it was just boring. I will mix it with a touch of oriental or deer tongue to finish the batch and I will probably not purchase more. BTW, I am using the same review to rate Ridin' the Raid since I had the same experience.

target="_blank"