Cornell & Diehl Night Train

(3.33)
Bright Virginia ribbon, bright Virginia flake, cavendish cut, [Virginia grown brown] burley, and perique are pressed into an old fashioned crumble cake to form a smoke as smooth as a train gliding effortlessly through the late night hours. Pressed only.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.33 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 1 - 10 of 44 Reviews
Aug 14, 2014 Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
After aros, vapers, vabers, ropes, flakes, and cakes, I prefer to ride the Night Train. She is soft and sweet brown sugar with an intensity that builds through the ride. Once the conductor drawls out the "all aboard" and pulls those boarding steps in I find myself excitedly seated in the club car waiting, anticipating the sound of that 4-8-8-4 heading out into the night. The Southern Bell won't let you down. Sweetness, sultry strength, every ingredient functioning according to its design and purpose. Dancing, moving, undulating through the night, leaving the world behind. Smoke billows as we compliment one another. Slowing, can this be? She is so intoxicating, can it be over? New Orleans station, wheels barely turning, club car, only fractional movement, vibration, a sense of minute vertigo. Going to have to schedule this trip again. I know she'll be ready. I think I can handle her.
Pipe Used: Briars, Cobs
PurchasedFrom: 4 noggins
Mar 27, 2017 Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
At times Night Train can be somewhat difficult to find, especially in bulk or in two ounce tins, so my first purchase came in the form of a single eight ounce tin. I know, kind of a gamble, but now I am wishing I had bought two more.

The tin note has a light dried apricot and zesty citrus aroma, both sweet and slightly sour. The firmly pressed cakes break up easily and the tobacco burns perfectly with little to no dry time. The flavor is burley forward; it’s deep, earthy and toasty, but there's a certain unexpected light freshness to it that defies its strength. There's also a definite sweetness from the bright Virginia which fits nicely within the fullness of the flavor. The spiciness of the perique gradually builds down the bowl but the effect is pleasing and in no way overdone.

The nicotine is noticeable and I wouldn't want to smoke a huge amount of this at a steady clip, but there's no need to because there's a lot going on and each gentle sip has plenty of intense flavor. The room note is almost pleasant, even my wife mentioned that it smelled pretty good and that the aroma is an improvement over what I usually smoke.

An excellent, full bodied, strong, yet very well balanced mixture.
Sep 19, 2016 Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant
Cornell & Diehl - Night Train.

I love Krumble Kakes, love Perique, and Night Train was one of my favourite Guns n Roses songs!

For a loosely pouched blend, it's still a touch too moist; I think that's due to it being pressed quite firmly. I ordered just a 1oz pouch and I'd say about 85% of the blend's still in kake form with only about a pipe's worth already broken.

The flavour would warrant the name VaPer rather than the current VaBur title on here; the Perique's the leading flavour. That's not saying the other flavours are virtually redundant, they're not, they just seem softer compared to the brutish Perique; it's very sharp! The others compliment the flavour nicely; the Burley's fairly formidable, and the Virginia and Cavendish work together to form more of a sweet base; this sweetness seems to develop as the bowl burns, by the final third it's beautiful. The fact this has no added flavours makes it a perfect blend for a smoker like me, who enjoys natural blends, more-so than cased ones, to sit and savour the rawness of the smoke. It gives a good burn that only needs odd re-lights and sparse tamping. I wasn't sure what to expect with the room-note, it seems to get a few tolerable results, but I enjoy it. The nicotine's a bit above medium; better in the morning, for me.

This is a brilliant blend, I love it!

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Levent Meerschaum
PurchasedFrom: 4noggins.com
Apr 10, 2017 Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant
A wonderfully fruity and spicy smoke. The Perique leads with it's dark fruit and spice. At first the nutty, earthy Burley tries to keep up then fades to the background with the sweet Virginias. I'm a bit of a Perique junkie and I find this blend to be a nice fix. Very satisfying on multiple levels. Burns cool, quite often with only one relight toward the end. A lovely smoke.

Medium in body and taste. No added flavoring. Burn is near perfect.
Pipe Used: MM Little Devil Cutty, Little Devil Acorn, Marcus
PurchasedFrom: smokingpipes.com
Jan 30, 2015 Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable
I first bought this a couple of years ago and when I opened the pack it smelt a bit acidic, almost vinegary.

With trepidation I filled my pipe and didn't enjoy it one bit but I persevered with it a week or so later and it was sort of OK but nothing to shout home about.

A week or so again I tried it and WOW !! This tobacco was absolutely lovely.

I don't know if it's me and it takes a couple of pipefuls of it to get used to it but this tobacco is absolutely a first class blend

Taking the Night Train is not just a recommendation but a must.

This is First Class Travel ! ... and no-one with a pipe should be without it!

This tobacco is so, so lovely, I fall in love with Lady N all over again every time I smoke it.
PurchasedFrom: Rich at 4noggins USA
Reviewed By Date Rating Strength Flavoring Taste Room Note
Feb 10, 2014 Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
What a surprise! And what a crumble kake. I cut it with a sharp knife, then I rub the tobacco. Wonderful smoke. I can define this "a full smoke experience", a perfect blend for me, with the cavendish almost unnoticeble. There are few tobacco that once the tin is open you cannot alternate with others. This is one of them: I have smoked the entire tin bowl after bowl. Essentially this is a VaPer blend, but the burley and cavendish are giving it a PLUS in terms of taste. While the Briar Fox is a starting point , this is a final point. Very very good!
Pipe Used: lubinsky
PurchasedFrom: Dubini, Chiasso Switzerland
Age When Smoked: unknown
May 18, 2016 Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant
Wow, this was a revisit for me and I don't know what happened since, but I fell hard for this tobacco. It has that old time Va, Burley and the bit of spice from the Perique and I enjoy smelling the smoke as much as I enjoy the taste. Goodness, I have really been enjoying it. I burned up a 2 oz. can and immediately ordered some 8 oz. cans. This is a crumbly cake and it crumbles easy. Even Steve Fallon could get this one broken down. Okay, try this old blend. It's been around a while and should be around a long time.
Pipe Used: Dr. Bob Pot, Skater, Cole Billiard
PurchasedFrom: smokingpipes.com
Age When Smoked: 1 year
Sep 06, 2018 Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable
This blend is phenomenal. Comes in a very nice pressed cake, and the tin note is cereal, raisins, ...basically raisin bran. Easily prepared, I simply tore off some chunks, rubbed out, packed and smoked. The moisture was perfect. The smoke is creamy and smooth; nutty, notes of hay, oats, dark fruit (raisin/figs), light pepper, and a pleasant sweetness. The nic hit is just a notch above medium, and it makes a great morning blend with a cup of black coffee. This is one of the best blends I've tried from C&D, thusfar, and it's definitely going into my regular rotation. Highly recommended.
Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Diplomat 5th Av.
PurchasedFrom: pipesandcigars
Oct 19, 2017 Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant
Excellent crumble cake, brindle and black tobaccos with a sweet earthy tin note. Could just whiff on this for a long time. Rubs out to perfection, packs easily and takes fire well after initial char. Taste is sweet, earthy, fermented fruit, nuts and a bit of leather. The tobaccos play well together but I feel the perique is the main player throughout the most of the smoke. Consistent flavor throughout. Nicotine hit is medium for me. For me I like this late in the day, but sometimes I feel bold and start the day with a bowl and several cups of Death Wish Coffee. I seem to get quite a bit done on the farm after that morning session. Solid 4 for me. Will buy more, soon. As for usual with me C&D never disappoints!
Pipe Used: Various cobs
PurchasedFrom: Smoking pipes
Age When Smoked: New and jarred 3 months +
Feb 22, 2016 Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant
Bold Burley, very natural tasting bright Virginias, spicy and slightly fruity Perique, and a minute amount of smooth Cavendish. I find as I smoke this that I don't really pick out the individual tobaccos as much as focus on how they all come together. It tastes nutty, bready, spicy and occasionally sweet. Like all of C&D's crumble kakes it performs very well and smokes well with moisture which I prefer for blends with Perique. There are many candidates for a full-strength last smoke of the day but Night Train is amongst my favorites.

target="_blank"