Cornell & Diehl Sunday Picnic

(3.49)
Golden Virginias are combined with perique and Izmir Turkish for a delicious and memorable flake tobacco.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.49 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 1 - 10 of 31 Reviews
Apr 26, 2014 Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong
Excited to try this. Opening Night is a personal favorite so I wanted to try something that was in the VA ballpark but a bit spicier. Sunday Picnic is the distant cousin from Louisiana who likes it spicy and likes to mix it up when visiting the Opening Night city folks.

At first I didn't know what to make of it as it was a unique flavor, so I held off on the review. Now the tin has been opened a while and the flavors starting to settle down I can say it's quite tasty and can for see it becoming a favorite. Its VA smooth, cool and tasty but has a ZING and a PING to it. It's more than the Perique that adds a POP of pepper.. its the Turkish and Izmir that throws the "different" into this unique mix. The Nic will put hairs on the chest for sure. Love it. I believe the room note will be a bit hard for others so its best to find some alone time or you could be in the doghouse. Smoke it slow and savor the flavor of this unique blend from Cornell & Diehl. It's a winner. Cool… tasty… Zing and a Ping!
Pipe Used: Selected Straight Grain.
PurchasedFrom: JR Cigars.
Age When Smoked: May 2013.
Jul 07, 2021 Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant
To me, this is a mild Virginia (broken) flake with a sprinkling of Orientals for some nuance. There is a softness to the blend - both the texture of the tobacco and the flavor - which reminds me of an expensive towel. If you lay that towel down on the grass under the shade of a tree you can enjoy this unassuming blend on a hot summer day. Maybe with some lemonade, or the honeyed ice tea my wife makes. Actually, there may be a touch of honey in the blend - cannot tell if it was added or is just naturally suggested by the Virginias (which are on the brighter side). Regardless, everything about this brings to mind "just a touch" - of this, that, or the other thing people here usually read into nice Virginia blends. I would just add "toasty."

Do not smoke this if you're expecting an alluring interplay of Turkish spice (see Embarcadero for that) or a study in the subtle complexities of Virginia (Opening Night). Maybe this will change with age, but I doubt it. It's nice.

P.S. There is apparently perique somewhere in this blend.
Sep 16, 2014 Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
This is a classic for the VA/Per fans. I basically feel the same way about Sunday Picnic as I do Red Carpet. This is not surprising as the blends are in fact the same proportions of Virginia/Turkish/Perique with the only difference being that Sunday Picnic uses golden Virginia, whereas... Red Carpet uses (you guessed it) red Virginia. For many years the blends that make up the Simply Elegant series have been a favorites of mine and are well-represented in my cellar. Both Sunday Picnic and Red Carpet are medium-strong and full of flavor. A dedicated Virginia smoker could probably make due with just these two blends! Strength, spice, salty-sweetness and cool burn. I tend to appreciate Sunday Picnic during the day (or during the warmer months), and Red Carpet in the evenings after dinner due to the slightly richer flavor profile. To my tastes Sunday Picnic is (of course) brighter and the Turkish shines with the Perique in the supporting role, whereas it is pretty much all about the Perique in Red Carpet, with the Turkish adding enough to keep the blend from being “just another VA/Per”. Both blends are must-haves and age incredibly!
Age When Smoked: Fresh, 5+ years
Apr 08, 2020 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable
Sunday picnic is a pretty good name for this one.. kind of what you would expect.. a light and bright spring/summer driven taste.. pretty crisp on the palette.. Sweet hay/citrus with just a touch of spice from the turkish and perique.. the Virginia is way in the lead here.. and it burns pretty hot as you might expect.. I consider it a thin walled billiard sipper if ever there was one.. it does not overwhelm in flavor or strength.. while this could certainly work in its favor during hot weather, I don't think it is one that i would reach for on a daily basis.. when I'm in the virginia mood 9 times out of 10 i like a tangier deeper red Virginia.. got one in the cellar.. definitely thinking 5+ years on this would do wonders.
Jan 24, 2018 Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant
Cracked this open today and was immediately entranced but the wonderful smell of Virginia and Perique a spicy and floral tin note to be sure.

Rubbed this out thoroughly and loaded it up knowing that this was going to be a good one. From first light the Virginia takes off with a wonderful sweet flavor and then in swoops the perique warming the mouth up and balancing the Virginia nicely. About mid bowl I need to relight, and got the Virginias to come through again almost to for the rest of the bowl. The Perique seemed to take a back note from then on, could be I just got use to it.

Try as I might, I didn't get a lot of the oriental flavor I thought I would get. It is there to be sure but that tangy sour seemed to get lost in the spicy Perique.

Mechanically, there was no bite to the blend at all. It was pretty well behaved with few relights and burned to the bottom with little to no dottle left. Might need to make another order of this one soon. A few more bowls might convince me to make this a four star review and put it in regular rotation.
Pipe Used: Neerup Poker
PurchasedFrom: pipesandcigars.com
Age When Smoked: 3 Years
Jan 11, 2020 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
C&D Sunday Picnic

This blend part of the simply elegant series truly is as the name says simply elegant.

I thought this blend would be an overpowering flake of orientals and Turkish and would force the VA’s and Perique to hide in the background never to be tasted.

The exact opposite happened to me, unless I just grab the parts of the broken flake that had primarily Va’s and perique, as the flavor was primarily this.

As stated previously this flake arrives somewhat broken and easy to pull apart, which makes folding and stuffing much easier, my preferred method of smoking flakes. This blend lit easily and needed one relight probably more so my fault than the blend.

The VA’s are yellow and bright with a sweet flavor and the Perique is figgy and peppery giving me a slight nose tingle that I welcome gladly. The orientals are there but I rarely noticed them on occasion but never overshadowed anything.

With age this blend could be an even bigger all-star, Fresh out of the tin it’s great also. If Elizabethan left tomorrow as it did before this would be my replacement.

I will get a few more tins to age. I give this three stars, but would rate 3.5/4 total.
Pipe Used: MM cob, bones One poker
PurchasedFrom: Tobaccopipes.com
Jan 05, 2017 Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant
My ususal and all time favorite Virginia Perique blend is Escudo - been smoking this since my first years in college around 1972. But I like to have a little strange every once in a while so several years back I purchased several tins of Cornel & Diehl's Sunday Picnic. I was not impressed - no taste, hot and with that typical virginia "grassy" taste of a young tobacco. So I thought to myself this blend may just need some aging to take the edge off the Virginia.

I put two tins in the back of my pipe cabinet - that was February 2012. This year one of my daughters gave me a pipe for Christmas, so while I was arranging things in the cabinet I found this can of Sunday Picnic. Wow says me this stuff is really old - so I immediately grabbed a deep bowl pipe to try it out.

I popped the lid and all I could smell was the scent of dried apricots - marvelous I thought as I decided on a pipe, started to drool and headed for the bottle of cognac. The color was a golden brown caramel, no mold and not too wet. I grabbed a couple of pieces and rolled it between my fingers - taking in the fantastic aroma. I packed it with a moderate amount of pressure and lit it up. After an initial charing and a light tamp the tabacco lit easily and burned evenly with a steady draw on the pipe.

At first I couldnt detect the perique and just barely could smell the Ismir Turkish - it was all virginia. About halfway into the bowl the turkish and perique taste arose taking the lead over the virginia - from there on out it was a waltz between the perique, turkish and virginia - simply fantastic. The flavor continued to increase all the way to the bottom of the pipe. The residual ash was light gray and dry. Nicotene content was mild.

Although I'm not going to walk away from Escudo - this tin of Sunday Picnic was a nice surprise that I attribute to the cellaring. I don't know that it's necessary to age it as long as I did - but just about any Virginia will improve with a little time.

As of this posting I've had 5 bowls in 3 different pipes all of which are at least 35 years old. I'm puffing on my 6th bowl as I write this and just as soon as I'm finished I plan on ordering several more cans so I can lose them in the back of the pipe cabinet and be surprised at another Chrismas years from now.
Pipe Used: Stanwell, Charatan and Ben Wade
Age When Smoked: 4 years 10 months
Nov 24, 2015 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
Purchased a tin in September 2012, it was my first Va-Per blend. Many of you spoke very well about this tobacco, so I was encouraged by your opinions.

Man… if a Va-Per blend smells and taste like (or better than) this, I will cellar more tins for sure!

Tin-note : piquant, peppery, tangy, sweet, fizzy, nose-tickling, undefinable, kind of extravirgin olive oil, oriental note that, according to the label, is the Izmir leaf.

In the bowl : a good balance between the hay / grass character of fresh golden Virginias and the particular spiciness both of the Turkish and of the Perique used.

It’s really, really tasty. I got pleasant note of orange zest quite often, especially when exhaling through the nose.

It smokes cool, dry and slow : you won’t disappear in thick clouds of smoke.

It lights up pretty easily and the taste evolves with a nice spectrum of bright, lively shades.

Nice fat tasty flakes overall. I’ll surely purchase more of it when I will get more familiar with this kind of blends.

Cheers Everyone, Brandr ODS
Age When Smoked: Fresh and 3yo
Dec 08, 2014 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable
A great smooth blend perfect for mid day. To me a great Virginia blend that is suited for the mid afternoon as it is not so strong and has a agreeable aroma for outside. The flavour of smooth Virginias mixed with a slight black pepper note from the Perique and aueromatics from the Turkish bodes well for a mild smoke on Sunday or any given relaxed afternoon.
Pipe Used: Brigham Algonquin billiard
Age When Smoked: probly 7 months
Reviewed By Date Rating Strength Flavoring Taste Room Note
Oct 09, 2012 Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
Gaining some experience by "trialing by error" with C&D, I would like to share my impressions when it comes to approaching C7D and G.L. Pease blends. As for Exhausted Rooster, I tested a brand new 2 oz tin of SP, then I let the other one age for over a year before opening. The results are dramatically different. The brand new tin offered a tabacco that was way too wet, had a harsh taste, didn't taste much and bite like a SOB. I can't say that I enjoyed it. But with the second one, I was facing a totally different ball game. The VA, Izmir and Per had time to adhere together, revealing a gorgeous mixture of sweetness, spiciness and smokininess that was thouroughly enjoyable. As with ER, this is a rather rich, tasty and strong tobacco that is pleasant if you like a good level of nicotine.

target="_blank"