Cornell & Diehl Sunday Picnic

(3.49)
Golden Virginias are combined with perique and Izmir Turkish for a delicious and memorable flake tobacco.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.49 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 21 - 30 of 31 Reviews
Nov 13, 2022 Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant
Tin note of stewed figs, vinegar, and sweet bread. The orange tinted yellows and brown broken flakes are not uniform as some flakes wider than others. Moisture is good, rubbing out is a snap and no drying needed. Burns somewhat slow with few relights. The strength is medium and nic is mild to medium. No flavoring detected. Taste is medium to full and fairly consistent, with notes of sweet grass, floral, lemon, dry herbs, bread, earth, mild wood, mild raisin, very mild tart stewed fruit, and a moderate peppery retro. Virginias are leading with Izmir supporting and perique providing backup. Room note is pleasant, and aftertaste is great.
Pipe Used: 2015 XX Ashton Sovereign Prince
PurchasedFrom: smokingpipes.com
Jul 01, 2015 Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant
The slightly broken flakes were easily folded, and just right to light, catching easily. The first impressions were of a pretty mild Oriental/VA blend, with no Perique coming through. As it progresses, however, the Oriental taste intensifies somewhat. This would probably be a good flake for those coming of off codger burleys looking for a non-lat Oriental blend to try, or perhaps light lat lovers looking for a non-lat summer blend.
Pipe Used: meers
PurchasedFrom: smoking pipes
Mar 03, 2015 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant
I really enjoy C&D's flakes since they are pliable and yet not too flimsy. Its really nice to take some of these flake pieces out and smell them and rub out to my hearts content, the tin aroma is absolutely delicious to me. Sunday Picnic is a really nice Virginia Flake with a little extra condiments to add spice and perk the Red Virginia's up a little. The first half of the bowl is toasty and sweet, wonderful side stream aroma and very little heat. Second half the Izmir picks up strength and some of the sweetness fades. I am told the room note is nice and non offending. The bowl finishes with the Perique spicyness and toasted bread flavors that a great Virginia Flake can provide. Well done C&D and certainly worthy of 3 stars!
Sep 05, 2012 Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
Sunday Picnic is sweet, tangy and has one heck of a nicotine hit. I went through the tin in just a couple days but I couldn't shake the strength. So strong, in fact, it takes away from some of the enjoyment. This may not really matter to many, but to me it would be even better if it was two clicks lighter in strength. Oh well, solid anyway. Maybe age will do it some justice. I currently have another six year old tin waiting for the right moment.

Update: Finished the old tin of this. Recommend.
Dec 08, 2011 Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
I was told more than once, as I absolutely love Exhausted Rooster, that I would love Sunday Picnic as well. I must admit that it surprised me a bit at first, considering that Exhausted Rooster is a VA - BU - DFK and Sunday Picnic, a VA - OR - PER... How could people compare these two totally different tobaccos? And assure me that I would love Sunday Picnic as well??? Anyway, after reflecting on these comments for a while, I finally decided to order a couple 2 oz tins of it so I could find out for myself. When I opened the tin last night, its aroma - oddly - somehow reminded me of ER, but in a much less pungent way. There was also faint raisin and hay undernotes. The colour of the flakes, though, is different. As where ER has medium brown with some darker leaf, SP displays a range from golden brown to very dark brown. SP is similar to ER in that, once the flakes are partially rubbed out, it smokes as slowly as ER. But SP has a very different taste than ER, there is no possible comparison between the two. SP reveals a combination of grassy/hay notes from the Golden VA, that becomes slightly sweet past half bowl; a spicy touch from the Izmir that remains throughout the bowl; and the peppery characteristic of the fermented PER that started showing up after the first quarter of the bowl. The Vitamine N dose, I must say, is more than satisfactory, making SP a very satisfying smoke. Don't puff too hard though, because it will then bite because of the fair proportion of Golden VA. I believe that, with a bit of aging, this flake will become very interesting in 2 or 3 years from now. So, you must be asking yourselves, does he love it, or not? Yes, I do! Not as much as ER, but the addition of some Izmir brings a new dimension to the classic mixture of VA with PER. 😉
Feb 06, 2011 Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable
Great Cornell and Diehl product. I have to describe this tobacco in stages because it changed so quickly. Upon first opening the tin, I found moist golden brown to dark brown flakes. The tin smelled of rich tobacco. The smoke was straight forward single note tobacco taste, but pleasant and rich with a short finish. The room note reminded me of the Camel cigarettes my father smokes, except not as stale but tolerable. Sounds bad, I know. That was the Turkish blend dominating.

After just a few weeks the tin note smelled more of figs and a subtle smell of prunes. I would open the tin at times just to inhale the aroma. As a I smoked this 2 week old tin it had become more complex with a longer finish. Virginia tobaccos were in the forefront, the Turkish blended into the back for the finish with a touch of pepper from the Perique. It tasted of fruit, maybe fig or prunes and a subtle sweetness that wasn't there before.

A month later, It had changed again. I know, just a month. I couldn't place the tin aroma but then it struck me. It smelled like bread with a hint of dried fig. The smoke was now even more complex, smoother than before, and rich with flavors of leather, dried grass, wood, mild pepper, and a mildly sweet grassy long finish. Room note had not changed. If you like Va's this is worth a try.
May 27, 2010 Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Tolerable
Quite a powerful smoke! One of the first VaPers I've tried and I'm quite impressed. Sometimes I make the mistake of packing a bowl of this when I'm not willing to take the time to relax with it. It has quite the tongue bite if you get too hasty, which I have a habit of doing sometimes. All in all it's a pleasant smoke and the tobacco is a very nice consistency for packing/lighting/etc. A little wet out of the tin, though. This is my first flake and I look forward to many more in my future! Certainly this will remain a favorite.
Mar 31, 2010 Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong
Very robust spicy/sweet flavor. Very well aged flakes with plenty of perique. High Nicotine content. Smells raison-like in the tin. Strong room note. This stuffs not for sissies.
Dec 03, 2009 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable
Sunday Picnic is a complex smoke that sometimes behaves as a spiced VaPer and sometimes as a toned-down oriental. Sweet and subtle, with no tongue bite and even burning for a delightful experience.

The only drawback I've found, and it's probably very personal and subjetive, it's a lack of consistency among different pipes. While some of them delivered a deep and subtle smoke, others felt just bland and dull. But all in a all is a great mixture that deserves being tried.
Apr 14, 2009 Strong Very Mild Very Full Tolerable
I don't usually smoke Per blends, so I was overwhelmed by the spiciness. but I found that it can add a pleasant note blended about 20% into milder english blends (like the English Luxury), which I prefer. A little Perique goes a long way, this was too much for me on its own. It also has a strong nicotine punch.

target="_blank"