Cornell & Diehl Sunday Picnic

(3.49)
Golden Virginias are combined with perique and Izmir Turkish for a delicious and memorable flake tobacco.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.49 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 11 - 20 of 31 Reviews
Jun 18, 2012 Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable
EDIT 2/3/2020

5 yrs ago I must have forgot that I took 2 ounces and jarred it right after opening the 8 oz tin. In 2014, my cellar was quickly becoming a disorganized mess, so this makes complete sense. When I started getting organized a few years later, I was excited to find the jar.

Well, I recently popped the jar after a 7 year nap and it was really wonderful. The sweetness from the Virginia leaf had intensified, the sour of the Izmir toned down and the Perique was still light. If I had to rate based on aging I would likely go back to the 4 stars I started this one at, but I don't know if that is a fair way of rating the tobacco as it seems most people do not age their tobacco.

If you are looking to store some away and age it, this one is a fine candidate and I would certainly recommend it.

EDIT 11/26/2014

After finishing off an 8 ounce tin of this, I still think this is a great blend. There is a nice sweetness to it from the Virginias which seem to be the star in all the "simply elegant series" blends. The Izmir takes that hay like sweetness in another direction and I find the Perique subtle but hardy enough to give it a good nicotine kick.

I am knocking a star off though as I have recently had the luxury of trying HU's Flanagan which I enjoy more. It is similar in that it contains Virginia, Oriental and Perique. I am not sure of which orientals that blend is comprised, but it is a better tasting smoke IMO. While I still recommend SP for both its availability and price which is substantially cheaper than the German alternative, I can't say I am as enthusiastic in my recommendation at this time. And besides, I have way too many four star reviews and should narrow that down some.

Original Review 6/18/2012

I really enjoyed this blend. I think it worthy of the four star rating it is currently carrying. I do think that this would be better in a dedicated pipe however as it is susceptible to tasting a little like the last thing you smoked even when the last thing you smoked is not something known for ghosting of pipes. This is why i have put the taste at mild.
Mar 12, 2021 Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
In few mixtures I have seen as in this one that there is so much difference in the way of perceiving it among the smokers who have tried it. I have heard somewhere and I have also read in a review on this page that this tobacco has undergone some changes since it was born until now. That would explain the disparity of perceptions and descriptions that people make of this mix. Here's mine, one more to add to the confusion.

The cold smell of this tobacco is spectacular ... as long as you like strong cheese. Because the aroma that gives off ferment reminds me of Cabrales cheese, or a strong blue cheese, very rich for my taste. This indicates that the amount of perique it has is not negligible. But there is no need to worry because that strong smell is not reproduced later in the flavor when lighting the pipe. It comes slightly damp but this does not prevent it from burning well by charging it immediately.

Once the pipe is lit, the Orientals do not stand out as much as I expected after reading some reviews on this page, although it is true that the spice of the Izmir leaf is felt. Nothing to do in this regard with blends such as Cairo (GL Pease), or Ascanian (Dan Tobacco), to mention blends with the same ingredients, where the least amount of perique allows the Orientals to stand out, giving it a much more perfumed and aromatic nuance to the mix. In Sunday Picnic the orientals go perfectly with the virginia and the perique, the latter being, in my opinion, the one that goes half a step ahead, but always hand in hand with the other two, giving rise to a sweet, spicy and frankly rich fruity.

In my opinion, a great tobacco. It only took one smoking pipe of this tobacco and I was already buying more tin.

05/22/2012: I am smoking a tin from May 2012 (just over 10 years old) and it has nothing to do with the one I had previously smoked for seven months. With this new experience, the questions that “Cuenta Emerita” formulated in its review of 02/20/2013 arise, especially considering that the dates of your tin and mine seem to coincide in time. In addition, new questions arise: Which of my experiences do I have to base my rating on this tobacco on? Does it age so badly? Did this tobacco change over time? Did I and my palate change? Anyway, I have two other tins that I bought because I liked them a lot and that I will open in due time to compare, but for now I am lowering a star.
Age When Smoked: 7 months and 12 years
Mar 26, 2019 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable
It’s fair to declare one’s taste before reviewing: I am not into Orientals/Turkish that much, and can hardly stand EMs. So what is the right amount of Izmir in a VA based? It’s this!

The tin aroma is WOW! One of those weeds that you keep opening and closing to smelli it again and again, and repeatedly pass it to your fellows with those “Smell it! You gotta smell ths! Cmon smell it!!” that make you look like a weirdo...

This is a flake but an easy one, not too pressed, not too wet, not too greasy. Nice dark color overall.

I love how the Orientals lead the dance from the tin to the puffs. And the mixture is well balanced because the taste of the Golden Virginia is never shadowed by the companions, including Perique -which dosage is absolutely perfect for my buds.

I agree that during the bowl you get a certain burley sense (which I like). Perique is always there and gives a nice picantry which I guess is crucial to the mixture - (yes, it is nice but it would probably be too flat without it).

No bite, no harsh, good for every moment.
Aug 11, 2018 Mild None Detected Medium Tolerable
The 11 year old, very swollen tin emitted a long whoosh when I opened it. The tin note is reminiscent of Ivory Soap and vinegar. Do not be dissuaded , it does not permeate into the smoking experience. The broken flakes have turned very dark. I was surprised how moist they were after 11 years. I spread some on a plate, and left them alone so they would dry.

Four hours later, it was ready. The tobacco lit easily. It’s tangy, slightly sweet, spicy and moderately sour. I sensed citrusy notes, wood, and some fermented sweetness.

The nicotine level is slightly above mild. It’s a tad less than medium in body/taste. It does not get harsh, and burns at a moderate pace. It smoked well in a cob as well as various size briars.

Sunday Picnic is comprised of high quality tobaccos. It’s a decent non-latakia VaOr, and I will smoke it again. However, there are better VaOr blends that I would recommend first. 3 stars
Jan 09, 2016 Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable
I was thinking the would just be another VA flake blend. I am not a big fan of OGS or Dunhill flake. But this flake proved me wrong. It has a lot of good flavor and the perique really shines. Excellent blend.
Feb 27, 2014 Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
I am smoking through a large sample of this using a GBD Prehistoric Pot. This is good, and I am enjoying it. It tastes like mild Turkish base with Virginia to fill it out. The perique is a applied with a light hand, and it does not contribute much to the signature. There is no doubt this is made with quality tobaccos, but it does not punch my buttons. I don't detect any topping at all. I may warm up to it, and sometimes a blend of this sort benefits from a dedicated pipe. I could smoke this every day, but I am not likely to buy a tin.
Aug 05, 2011 Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
I really wanted to experience what others have said about this tobacco, but I can't. Maybe it's chemistry, maybe it's technique, but this just burns so hot and spicy that I can't enjoy this tobacco. My story started about 6 months ago when I purchased my first tin and had a few bowls, these were hot. I resealed the tin ( tip: try a hot glue gun to seal your tins) . After 6 months, I just tried a few more bowls from a cob after allowing 2 hours of drying, still spicy hot. I couldn't sip this any slower, ended up at a 1 1/2 hour pipe of "Tobassco". I've enjoyed many Vapers and have not had trouble with Perique before so I suspect the "Izmir". Has anyone else experienced this?( maybe reviewers "Katharsis", "Jason" below)? I can't give this a high review,although it looks like quality tobacco, sorry

Updated 6/8/12- This tin now has almost two years on it and it has smoothed out and is very flavorful. It still has some spice ( Izmir ?) with the first half of the bowl and I feel it smokes better fully dried , but I will move this to 3 stars.
Jan 23, 2021 Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant
Bright earth, hay, soft wood, sugar. A very pleasant, high quality Virginia flake that burns clean down to ash with no fuss. A good option if one wants to add Virginia’s to their rotation. Also good for someone who is new to the art of pipe smoking.
Pipe Used: Corncob
PurchasedFrom: Pipes and cigars
Age When Smoked: < 1 year
Jan 21, 2020 Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant
A friend of mine gave me a nice sample of this at the last club meeting I attended. There is a spiciness in the tin note that reminds me of apple/cinnamon/clove potpourri. Not saying it is flavored with it but that is the closest smell my vocabulary can associate it with. This is a nice broken brown flake and smokes smooth and with a sweetness that I am not sure is the Izmir or if there is a top note on this one even though it says no flavoring. One other reviewer thought the same. If the sweetness in the smoke is Izmir then for me that is the dominant tobacco that I can make out with the rest in the background. The smoothness of this smoke is a real testimony to what I believe is quality leaf, maybe not on the McClelland scale but up there. I smoked all bowls of this in my CAO Meerschaum throughout the day and never got tired of it.
Pipe Used: CAO Meerschaum
Oct 06, 2018 Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Tolerable
I think this is one of the best VA/PER you can find in the market. Excellent taste, medium strength and a perfect nicotine content. No defects with a pleasant, satisfying and harmonious taste. Really enjoyable. Without any doubt this is a four stars blend but I give it only three stars because, in a hypothetical preference scale among VA/PER mixtures, in my opinion Robert McConnell - Old London Pebble Cut and Dunhill - De Luxe Navy Rolls are one step ahead. Anyway a great Perique mixture. So, in my personal rating system (from 1 to 10) my score is more than 9 and three and a half stars.

target="_blank"