G. L. Pease Westminster

(3.34)
Westminster: The very essence of the traditional English mixture; rich, elegant, refined, and exquisitely balanced. New World red Virginias are enhanced with a gentle caress of bright leaf, then lavishly seasoned with rich oriental tobaccos and generous measures of noble Cyprus mountain latakia. Westminster is a satisfying blend, presenting layers of flavor to delight the senses and develop in the bowl. A perfect everyday English mixture. Full bodied.
Notes: Westminster was introduced in January, 2007.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.34 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 71 - 80 of 282 Reviews
Apr 27, 2021 Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable
Not one of my favourite Pease blends. When I tried it fresh, it was harsh and rather too bitter for me. I put it away for over a year and in that time it did smooth out, but I still much prefer other Pease offerings in this category.
Pipe Used: Various
PurchasedFrom: SmokingPipes.Com
Age When Smoked: Various
Jan 26, 2021 Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant
I went from 100% english blends then exclusively on to VA, VAPer, slices, cut flakes. Now I’m back to 50/50 with the English/Scottish blends. During my “Latakia only blends” period, the more robust and Latakia forward the better. Charles Fairmorn Lancers and other English slices were my mainstay, partly because of flavor, and in part because slices lasted longer than flakes and ribbon cuts. This one is a treat. Latakia is prominent here, but somehow less dominating than I’d expect. Maybe due to “mountain Cypriot grown”, or just the way it’s cured; not sure. The cut is between ribbon and hefty cut flakes. Regardless, it’s a treat, with the virginias lending a nice balance. A new favorite and highly recommended.
Pipe Used: Karl Erik Danish freehand
PurchasedFrom: Tobacco pipes.com
Aug 23, 2020 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong
It's the middle of summer 2020 and I found myself wanting to try something different while drinking my coffee on a Sunday afternoon.

Digging through my box of small jars, I came across my jar of Westminster. I had picked this up at a B&M during pipe club in 2018, shared it with the guys there and brought the rest home and jarred it. It didn't wow me then, so it was not something I kept out to smoke up.

Opening the jar again, I found the smoky hint of Latakia being the primary scent. The leaves were dark, The moisture seems perfect without drying and I loaded up a smaller belge shaped Bones to smoke it in. Easy to light and get going.

The flavor in the initial part of the bowl was smoky with sweetness supporting. As the bowl progressed, I noticed the tastes of the orientals which complimented by never made it to the top. I found myself enjoying it enough that I had a second bowl in a Radiator pipe after the first one (not my usual) and found that it smoked maybe even better in the radiator.

No real nic-hit (yes its there) and a mild/medium smoke which was really enjoyable. I've added the jar to the current rotation (mostly VA's, VAPER, Burleys in summer) as a nice treat.

Not something that I'll go out of my way to replenish, but a nice treat while I finish off the jar.
PurchasedFrom: Smitty's Cigar
Mar 05, 2020 Mild None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable
This is a great Balkan type blend offering a nice flavor presence and variation over the ingredients. There is sweetness from the virginia against a smoky Latakia background with some sour edges poking out here and there from the oriental leaf. All combine for a rather well-balanced, creamy, deep smoking experience while maintaining some edginess.

This blend is not my favorite of the genre, but it is solidly between 3 and 4 stars. I am putting it at the lower end at three, because I prefer Odyssey, but not by much.

It performs well although it did seem to require more relights than I am used to. It doesn't bite, but really none of these balkans ever do.
Nov 26, 2019 Medium None Detected Full Tolerable
First Take:

I thought that this blend was very well balanced and the Latakia didn't overpower the Virginias like I thought they might when I opened the tin. It was smokey and woody and seemed to be pretty consistent over the temperature range through the whole smoke. Definitely one I can't wait to get back to.

2022-07-31 Update: I smoked a 30-month-old blend from my cellar, and I would say that this blend is fantastic. It was complex, yet perfectly blended. No one tobacco overpowered the other. It's dry, its smoky, it's woody. It reminds me of a campfire in the best kind of way, though it's not so campfire-forward as Plum Pudding. This blend was very consistent among all temperature ranges except when puffing like a freight train. Slow it down and the well-balanced flavor returns. I smoked this to the bottom of the bowl before I knew it. The aftertaste lingers for longer than some other blends, but it's not overly offensive.
Pipe Used: Peterson Sherlock
PurchasedFrom: Puff n' Stuff - Atlanta
Age When Smoked: 1 month
Mar 21, 2019 Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable
This is an extremely pleasant balkin blend. it has become my daily blend if you like Latakia you will like this. My wife despises the smell however so i guess different strokes for different folks.
Pipe Used: Dunhill Bulldog
PurchasedFrom: Baton Rouge
Jan 13, 2019 Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable
I was in a local shop today, trying to decide whether to buy Westminster or their last tin of London Mixture. I bought the Westminster, and I'm glad I did. At the time, I was unaware that Westminster was Pease's attempt to recreate Murray's era London Mixture, but after smoking a bowl I could definitely see the similarity. (EDIT: I mean the similarity between Westminster and the newest version of London Mixture. I haven't tried the Murray's version.)

I won't bother to try to describe the various traits of this one since people with better palates/noses than myself have done that already. I will mention that the cut and moisture level were perfect, and it smoked nice and cool to the bottom with no bite and no relights. Westminster also looks like LM, although I think the former's tin aroma is a bit more latakia forward. I would have believed you if you told me this was a Dunhill product.

This was a 4-star blend for me, and I'm happy that I found my replacement for London Mixture.

On a side note, if I had to pick a winner in a Balkan showdown between this and Balkan Sobranie, which I think is a fairly good blend, Westminster would be my choice.
Pipe Used: MM Marcus cob
PurchasedFrom: Habana Port, Metairie LA
Age When Smoked: 19 months, according to the sticker on the can
Nov 22, 2018 Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong
Latikia leads the way in tin note and smoke taste. The well rounded sweetness from the Virginia’s are a close second. The woody orientials complete the blend.

I’ve been smoking a pipe for over a decade, and this is the English blend that always delivers when I want something in that genre.

This is a true masterpiece. If it was no longer available, it would be compared to the original Sobranie. If it was hard to get, it would be compared to Esoterica’s offerings.

Fortunately, this tobacco is available, and all “English fans” should be stocking up. This is the perfectly balanced blend for me. It’s sweet, creamy, smoky, fairly strong, and qualifies as an all day smoke.
PurchasedFrom: Smokingpipes.com
Apr 12, 2018 Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant
This is a pleasant oriental forward English blend , as it's name might suggest. The main note seems to be the orientals slightly kissed by the bright Virginias, with a rich and earthy bass note provided by the cyprian latakia. The cyprian seems to be more mature than most, with the tangy top note barely present at all. This is a solid choice for the English style tobacco maven. An absolute delight to smoke and very highly recommended by me.
Pipe Used: Beulay #33
PurchasedFrom: Indian River Tobacco Traders
Dec 04, 2017 Medium Medium Medium Tolerable
This site along with your reviews have really made this pipe smoking adventure so much more enjoyable. I have been a pipe smoker off and on for 10 years but it wasn’t until this last year that I really learned to smoke a pipe and with this site and your reviews, have made this a wonderful and pleasurable journey. Discovering all these tobaccos has been a revelation.

GL Pease Westminster is an exceptional well-balanced English blend. That said, in my experience, it’s going to lie to you at first. First lighting a bowl of Westminster, I get absolutely pummeled with Latakia for the first few puffs. Stick with it though, it settles back quickly. As the smoke progresses the Orientals come forward and remain a strong component throughout the bowl. Very nice spice and wood notes that are offset and controlled by the Virginias. I get occasional sweet spots in the bowl which I assume is the Virginias coming out to say hello. Still, the Orientals are the dominating flavor throughout but they never seem to overpower the smoke.

I said it’s a well-balanced blend and I stick by that assessment. Generally, the various English blends have one component that is “louder” than the others. To use another GL Pease blend, Maltese Falcon as a reference, the Virginias are the more vocal component in that blend. It maintains a sweet note all the way through with portions that are extremely sweet. There is some movement in Westminster but overall its more even. You can “find” each component easily through the bowl. And the sections that are more pronounced are not as “pointed”, they are more subtle.

I have rated this blend 3 stars. While I find this to be a top shelf blend, truly fine tobaccos and expert blending. There is something about this smoke that leaves my mouth very dry and chalky feeling. I suspect that it’s the prevalence of the Orientals and my particular mouth chemistry. This reality makes this an occasional smoke. I really enjoy it, but it’s not a smoke I would enjoy smoking all day. Still, I will keep a tin of this around in the rotation and I have a couple stashed for long term aging. I suspect that with time, this might be a truly magical blend. We shall see.
Pipe Used: Briar Canadians