G. L. Pease Westminster

(3.34)
Westminster: The very essence of the traditional English mixture; rich, elegant, refined, and exquisitely balanced. New World red Virginias are enhanced with a gentle caress of bright leaf, then lavishly seasoned with rich oriental tobaccos and generous measures of noble Cyprus mountain latakia. Westminster is a satisfying blend, presenting layers of flavor to delight the senses and develop in the bowl. A perfect everyday English mixture. Full bodied.
Notes: Westminster was introduced in January, 2007.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.34 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 141 - 150 of 282 Reviews
Feb 11, 2019 Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable
Westminster is an excellent Balkan blend. The Latakia lends just the right amount of brine and earth that I’d expect from this type of blend. The Latakia is balanced out well with hints of baking spice and toast. The tobacco burns evenly and required minimal relights. Despite the medium body, I could easily smoke this any time of day.
Pipe Used: Meerschaum
Sep 24, 2018 Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant
This is another outstanding blend by G. L. Pease. I bought and smoked quite a bit in 2007 - 2008. It was a regular for several years and then I drifted away from it for years. I have begun smoking my ten year old tins looking for that deep smokey taste that Westminster delivers. This blend lights well, smokes well, and burns to a fine grey ash to the bottom of the bowl. Great taste and great smoke. Now one of my favorite blends.
May 28, 2016 Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant
Popped a tin dated 2009. I thought the tobacco in cut and color a little bizarre. Smelled very nice though. As stated was an odd cut, but it packs fine. As for the smoke , I didn't know what to think after the first couple of bowls. Never had a sour English before. After a few more and finding the right pipes, it's cohesive , and has a nicely balanced flavor. Lat and orientals peek ahead at times, but overall a solid singular taste sensation. I like this very much, and in pipes that smoke it well, I don't mind smoking more than a few bowls of this a day. Wouldn't be heartbroken if this was all I had. Easy four stars, and recommended, though keep in mind my tin is seven years old.
Oct 28, 2015 Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable
I think Cornell and Diehl's Cyprian Latakia is as characteristic as McClelland's ketchup smell, but I'm starting to develop an aversion to it here. It works great in Gaslight or Quiet Nights, but if you're going to advertise an all-day English blend as a replacement for some perceived deficiency in Dunhill's London Mixture, blend with an eye toward harmony.

American artisan blenders are doing with Latakia what American microbrewers did with hops - favoring it to the detriment of the blend. It's the sign of an unsophisticated palate.

Stick with London Mixture if you're looking for London Mixture, it's far better than this impostor.
Oct 28, 2015 Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable
Took awhile to figure this one out as it is fairly complex. Four bowls smoked and I am really let down by this one after reading many good things about it. Tongue bite is prominent. Throat affects were light. Actually had a sore tongue after first bowl and thought it was just me or a reaction to always having to light it back up. Frustrating is about it in a word I guess I could say if a one word summary is warranted here. I won't be buying it ever again and I can tell it won't get any better with age, probably worse.
Pipe Used: Savinelli
Aug 09, 2015 Strong None Detected Full Pleasant
GL Pease is one of the best blenders, especially for English style tobaccos. It's called a Balkan above, but it's a dead on English, just the way I like it, full bodied, but not overpowering, sImilar to Dunhill's My Mixture 965, one of my favorites. The tobacco was a little dry when I opened the tin. I don't know if this is typical or not. This may or may not impact how long it stays fresh, but it smoked well with the first pipe. If you like English style tobaccos, this is worth a try. It gets a 4 from me.
Pipe Used: Dunhill
PurchasedFrom: Smokingpipes.com
May 24, 2014 Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable
I was not aware that this was considered a Balkan. I guess that Balkan is synonymous with Lat. bomb. I love this blend but not all the time. Mainly in the winter, as it is very campfireish . Very robust and full flavor, so much so that when I first light up I take short puffs and spit them out immediately because they can be a bit harsh. The Orientals are a bit loud so if I smoke it too much or too long it makes my mouth feel weird. Overall a great smoke though.

*edit* a year and a half later, I've bumped this up a star. When this blend got a little age on it, it got even better. It seemed to mellow for me. Still heavy and definitely not a pick on a hot humid day, but amazing as are all of G.L. Pease's offerings.
Pipe Used: Savinelli Baronet Bruyere EX
PurchasedFrom: Pipes & Cigars
May 06, 2014 Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable
My brother gave me an aged tin that he won in a raffle at the Columbus pipe show a couple of years ago. We opened it in "preparation" for this year's Chicago show.

Wow! This aged blend was fantastic. The Virginias aged quite well and were sweet, but balanced by the rest of the ingredients.

I tried a more recent version, and I really like that, too. But aging this smoke is the way to go.

Govern Yourself Accordingly.
Pipe Used: Becker, Northern Briars
Age When Smoked: 14 yr old tin
Dec 13, 2013 Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
Briarpatch wrote:

>>> Preface: I have been smoking Dunhill Standard Mixture Medium for near-on 30 years, believing that it has no equal anywhere on earth. But it is gone now, and so I begin a quest for my Holy Grail: A substitute to replace the standard on which all English tobaccos are based. In an email from Mr. Pease about his possible substitutes he suggested that I start with Westminster. Well, I haven't much good to say about the stuff, though I had eagerly anticipated it. Westminster is long on the strong/harsh aspects and short on the rich/creamy/smoky/complex aspects. <

>>> Description: BLEND 805 Blend 805 was the absolute standard, the hallmark blend - in the same range as Dunhill 965 and Dunhill Standard Mixture, various Rattrays blends, and a multitude of now long gone blends and compounds from legendary English and Scottish houses. <<<<<

description of Blend 805 reminded me on Westminster - was it Friedman&Pease or older ? but i am sure it was not english - it was US made

the Westminster Tobacco:

Named after the Westminster Community Schools in Vermont

The tobacco comes in a peanut jar with 2 oz.

Smell: forest, ham, spices

Taste: Lots of Latakia - then times this times this, quite unbalanced.

To make it positive to say, not the herb to get it to smoke by the way. The Virginia is too underpowered. Nicotine medium strong - Is clearly the Latikia although smokes sweet, but has little nicotine.

Notes: Tabak: 2,5 stars

as to be a London Mixture failed : 1,5 stars

edit:

Just to say, never heard from Blend 805 untill this week. Maybe because the lack of internet LOL
Aug 28, 2013 Very Strong Medium to Strong Full Strong
I want to state up front that I am a fan of Greg Pease; that I like his english blends; have discussed english blending with him and how he helped bring the Drucquer and Sons english blends back to their former glory. Greg has been the blender for our NASPC yearly blends since 2000.

Although around since 2007, I didn't try this blend until this summer. I read our reviews and noted that some thought it four star quality, while others didn't feel as strongly. So, I bought a tin and popped it. Most definitely an english blend - what I classify as a "sour english" with a nice solid smokey quality. Yes, the cut was somewhat rough. However, this wasn't a problem as my method is to put some on a sheet of paper and let it sit out overnight. The next day I rub it out to a smaller consistency. From the first bowl forward it was enjoyable - moderately strong and smokey with an underlying solidity that made it an above average smoke. The only problem that I had with this blend was that each bowl became increasingly more and more peppery as I came down to the finish. I am not talking tongue bite here - but a spiceyness that showed itself consistently in every bowl. I thought: "this blend is just too dense for my tastes".

Here's how I solved it. I had previously purchased five or six tins of the Orlik-era Early Morning Pipe (why - I don't know) and they were just sitting around mocking me. So, I popped one and began to mix-down the Westminster with it. The EMP, by the way, was poorly sealed and bone dry and had to be rehydrated - terrible for a tin that, at most, was seven years old or younger. After some experimenting, I found that the magic button-pushing blend was 60 per cent Westminster and 40 per cent EMP. Try it - you'll like it.

My natural inclination is to give Greg's english blends four-star ratings, but any blend that I have to alter this much to make it a good smoke loses a star - 3 stars, but I still reccommend it.

target="_blank"