Cornell & Diehl Star of the East Flake

(3.35)
One half Cyprian Latakia with a generous portion of Izmir and sweetened stoved red Virginia.
Notes: For years Star of the East has been one of C&D's best-selling English blends. This is a full-bodied English of 50% Latakia blended with Turkish and stoved red Virginia then pressed into flakes.

Details

Taste

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.35 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 1 - 10 of 33 Reviews
May 15, 2017 Medium None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong
This is an edited version of the ribbon cut version with the differences noted in the following text. The musty Cyprian Latakia is smoky, earthy, woody, and not very sweet in a more obvious starring role in this production. The impact of the Latakia does vary at times, but even at its least obvious, it’s still the dominant component, although richer and a little more noticeable than it is as a ribbon cut. The stoved red Virginia offers tangy sugary dark fruit with some earth, bread and wood in a support role. The Turkish provides wood, earth, vegetation, herbs lightly sweet and mild sourness with minor floral, spice notes as it continually underscores the experience. The nic-hit is step closer to medium than it is to mild, which is a little stronger than the other version. The strength of the blend hits the medium threshold, and the taste level just reaches full; both are a little more potent than the ribbon cut. Burns a little slow with a cool, clean, relatively smooth (for blends in this genre) mildly sweet and sour, savory flavor. Has no dull or harsh spots, but sports a few small rough edges. Easily burns to ash, and requires some relights. Leaves little moisture in the bowl. Has a strong, lingering after taste, and a camp fire room note. Not a complex mixture by any means, and is a little closer to being a total lat-bomb in this form. Not an all day smoke.

-JimInks
Jan 16, 2010 Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant
The flakes are easy to pack and load. Just rub some of the flake and it crumbles into the bowl and darned near packs itself.

Lots of Latakia in this one and the taste is rather smokey and full. Not at all sweet and enough nicotine punch to please.

Smoke it late in the evening AFTER kissing the spousal unit goodnight. Otherwise, you may get kicked out of the bed.
Feb 12, 2011 Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong
I will take this blend over Penzance anyday. It packs nice, and I don't suck in those little tiny pieces like I do with Penzance.

I don't know what it is about C&D, but they can do English blends like no other! I prefer this when I don't need as much Latakia as Pirate Kake has to offer.

9 out of 10.
Feb 15, 2015 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable
This product was recommended to me as an alternate if not better then penzance. I unfortunately missed the penzance train but will review what's in front of me. This product upon smell has that solid earthy rich burnt wood smell in it all of course from the Latakia. The tobacco was purchased in bulk so it was very easy to work with and smoked like a champ. This tobacco is an English blend and was one of the smoothest English tobaccos I have smoked lately a very solid buy from cornell and diehl. I would highly recommend this as an all day everyday smoke it is just a joy and has a good tobacco taste. I guess the only input as far as compared to penzance for me would be it's better mainly because it is available. I think that's what's hard with reviews sometimes having blends that aren't available or are limited. Overall a great smoke for this one I would give it a 3.5 if that was an option.
Pipe Used: Calabash
PurchasedFrom: Www.4noggins.com
Aug 29, 2018 Medium None Detected Very Full Unnoticeable
From the tin, the smell is beautiful: strong latakia and an almost olive-like sourness. The taste is rich, smoky, and nutty throughout, and the burn is slow and cool. The bottom of the bowl is where this blend really comes together; it's sweet, creamy, leathery, and spicy with the virginias taking centre stage. I have noticed there can be a faint ammonia taste behind these last flavours, which can spoil some moments. This blend is medium strength in terms of nicotine.

I am not a very big fan of Cornell and Diehl's straight virginia or burley offerings, but from what little I've tried, they get latakia blends right.
Age When Smoked: One Year
Dec 28, 2011 Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong
Well, there is God for the lovers of Latakia! 50% Cyprian Latakia with some Izmir and stoved red Virginia.

Tobacco form: Broken Flake.

Humidity: A lot, needs drying.

With 50% Latakia the aroma is quite smoky (a friend described it as bacon-y). The tobacco has a full and nice taste that fills your taste buds and makes them happy. The flavor is sometimes smoky (because of Latakia)and sometimes sweet (because of the Virginia). Nicotine levels fall into the medium to low category. Smoke it slowly and relaxed because anxious puffing tickles your tongue. The room note is strong and some people may find it unpleasant.

It is an enjoyable smoke especially for the Latakia lovers. The only drawback is that it is a quite flat blend. No surprises here. Nevertheless, it is a quite good tobacco and I truly recommend it!
Jan 02, 2011 Strong Medium to Strong Full Tolerable
Have been enjoying this blend for the past six mos., and has become my preferred Latakia cake/flake over Penzance and Fairmorn Lancer Slices.

For me, this tobacco needs some time to air and is just too moist out of the cans I've opened. Packing a pipe and letting it sit overnight, or letting some sit on a paper plate for a few hrs. before smoking is my routine. Have experimented with this stuff in wider and narrow gauge pipes. Like it rubbed out a bit more than it comes in the can, and in a wider bowl. Everyone has a different preference.

Do not find this to be a Latakia bombshell. There is a unique creamy thickness to this blend in the mouth. Very full. It is also subtly sweet in my opinion. No doubt there's Latakia in there, but the salty smokiness of Latakia does not overwhelm the tastebuds at any point. Very balanced with the Red Virginia and Izmir components.

Tobacco is consistent from top to bottom of bowl. 3 stars.
May 06, 2011 Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong
This is a great Balkan blend that requires a degree of finesse to obtain the best results. Please don't do what I did. When this tin arrived I was rather anxious to take it for a spin, having read the reviews below. My first impression on opening the tin was that it was dry enough to smoke NOW. Wishful thinking ! So I rubbed and stuffed a nice bowlful into a large straight billiard and proceeded to fire it up.

Now I expected, from a blend that touts itself as 50% Latakia, to experience a certain degree of Latakia bomb. What I obtained was a Latakia thermo-nuclear device. Whoa ! Basically nothing present but Latakia, tongue bite, and an unsweetened, salty licorice coating on the tongue. No Virginia sweetness, no Oriental spice, no nothing....'cept Latakia. Ok. I knew something was wrong and went back to the reviews. What did I miss? Obviously....dry time,dry time, dry time. So after letting my tongue and palate heal for a couple of days. I tried again.

Round 2: About 1 hour of dry time on paper, followed by a gentle rub, I loaded a smaller bent billiard bowl with what seemed like VERY dry tobacco. There was a powder left on the white paper that looked like powdered graphite. Did I overdo it?

NO. This time I had a GREAT smoke. Lots of Latakia and yes, Santa Claus, there IS Virginia. And Oriental, in this blend. Experienced a very pleasant creaminess behind the Latakia, along with some nice spicy sparks from the Oriental.

Is this a all-day smoke? Not unless you have a tongue that resembles a razor strop. Is it an everyday smoke? Not for me. I'll be reserving this for after big dinners or when I crave an extra hit of Latakia. It's a very nice, quality blend that I will keep on the shelf.....for occasional use only.
Apr 30, 2017 Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong
This is a hearty blend of 50% Latakia with Turkish and Virginia. It's considered the poor mans penzance and for good reason as it's very similar albeit with different sourced tobacco, processing techniques, & age I'm sure. More Latakia forward than penzance and a bit spicier without the depth of the virginias. My tin had 4 months of age on it, I will be purchasing quite a few more to age as it can only get better and better. Kind of has that Oreo cookies and cream thing going on. With some subtle stewed fruit notes from the stoved red virginias. Buttery and slight woodsiness from the Turkish Izmir. Very earthy, packs and burns well with a few re-lights necessary. Does call for 10-15 minutes of dry time as the flakes come with some moisture. Unique for C&D and a place in the rotation for sure. 3 stars only because penzance does the same thing better.
Jul 14, 2013 Medium to Strong Mild Medium Strong
MMM, the joy of opening a tin with Orientals and Latakia! This is such a blend. The tobacco is in nice broken, flake format. The latakia is present and the smell of the tin is smokey with a bit of peppery tinge. The tobacco burns nicely and the latakia comes through in volumes of smoke. My tin wasn't overly wet, I smoked it fine out of the tin, and it's even better now. The orientals come through some, but it really is a Latakia 1st blend. If you like it, you'll try this, though there are others out there that are better, this has it's own personal mystique that will keep me having a tin around, after tin.

target="_blank"