Uncompromising flavor and aroma. A decidedly different English style blend subtly flavored with vanilla and rum.

Blended ByCarl McAllister
ContentsCavendish, Latakia, Virginia
FlavoringRum, Vanilla
Strength
Taste
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

The black cavendish offers a mild sugary vanilla that well compliments the light rum topping. They moderately sublimate the tobaccos. The tart and tangy citrusy Virginia is mildly grassy in a support role. Can't say I notice much Cyprian Latakia outside of hints of smoke, earth, and wood. The strength and taste levels are very mild. Has very little nicotine. Won't bite or get harsh. Not a flavor bomb by any means, but it's a pleasant all day uncomplicated smoke that burns cool and clean at a reasonable pace with a mostly consistent flavor to the finish. Hardly requires relights, and leaves little dampness in the bowl. Has a short lived, very pleasant after taste and room note. More of a starter aromatic. Two and a half stars.

-JimInks

Vikingfan60 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Vikingfan60 (7)

Very nice English aromatic blend. The Latakia is not overpowering in anyway. The vanilla and rum topping is done with the light hand, you get little hints of it throughout the smoke. All in all a very nice blend you could smoke all day.

Pipe Used: Savinelli

Purchased From: Pipes&Cigars

StevieB (1981)

Sutliff Tobacco Co. - Burma Road.

My blend's a coarse ribbon, sadly it includes a few twiggy pieces. Overall it doesn't look as golden in colour as the current picture here; brown with a few black specks. The aroma from the pouch is as little sharp (rum), but not potent. The moisture's very good.

The smoke? A game of two halves. At one end there's the tobaccos which taste nice, but these are, sadly, let down by the flavourings. The tobaccos: Virginia leads without being too fruity or zesty whilst the Cavendish smooths and sweetens things. Because I note a slight sharpness from the Latakia the Cavendish is an important addition for softening this effect. Now, the added flavours: the rum outweighs any vanilla, having more of a raw alcoholic note than sweet rum flavour. This is the problem, to me. If there were more vanilla it would score higher, but as it is I don't enjoy it; too 'bitter'. On the better side of things it burns steady, but sadly bites me!

Nicotine: not a lot. Room-note: a redeeming feature!

Burma Road? Not my kind of aromatic, but as the tobaccos taste quite nice it deserves two stars:

Somewhat recommended.

Pipe Used: Tekin Meer'

Age When Smoked: 2 weeks.

mel64us Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mel64us (43)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

Burma Road- a nice mild blend. Hints of the vanilla and the rum throughout the bowl, but very subtle. The toppings seem to have been applied with a very light hand. The Virginias offer some grassy notes. This is a good starter aro or a good, easy going all day smoke. It isn't a flavor bomb, but the flavors are nice. A bit moist at first, but airing helps. Burns slowly and leaves little moisture in the bowl. After 7 bowls, this is growing on me. A mild aromatic English. More English than aro, and smooth.

Update: 05292019 The more I smoke this, the.more I like it. I will try a stronger blend, but this is definitely an all day blend and one I will keep on hand.

Pipe Used: Peterson System, no name Prince, MM cob

Purchased From: P&C

Curious George Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Curious George (15)

Vanilla, rum and latakia combine for a smooth pleasant all day blend. The three are moderatly balanced, but the rum does take a slight backseat and the latakia fades toward the bottom of the bowl. This burned a little moist, but nothing a little drying time didn't fix.

As another reviewer noted, this one grew on me the more I smoked it.

Pipe Used: Lanza Dublin, Jeantet Apple

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Purchased From: P&C

Rustedrailsmokes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rustedrailsmokes (201)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I picked up a few oz's of Burma Road during a recent sale to try.

I'll agree with the last reviewer that what I received is darker in color than the picture which is in the illustration. My brown liquor of choice is rum, so I'm always interested in trying blends that have that flavoring.

The bag/jar note is alcohol and a little bit of vanilla. Very little smokiness. The moisture level was a little high and I dry this out for about 30 minutes before smoking.

The cut includes a few larger pieces and I found a couple of twigs (guessing latakia) but it is easy to pack.

Once lit, I get the background smokiness of latakia which fights with the rum/vanilla topping. The topping improves the roomnote significantly as I can smoke this in the house without the wife complaining. The tobacco wants to burn warm and if pushed can give slight tongue irritation.

It reminds me of Frog Morton Cellar in someways with the rum. The flavoring lasts through the entire bowl and it is a good smoke producing nice white smoke and burning down with light moisture in the bowl. The vanilla is very mild and just adds a sweet high note. The nicotine level seems very mild as I'm able to smoke back-to-back bowls with little effect.

I don't think this blend would benefit from aging except maybe to lighten the topping a little bit.

Overall, I think this is a good blend for folks who enjoy crossovers compared to straight aromatics. I have not decided if I'll buy more as I'm now about 1/2 way through my 8oz. There are lots of rum tobaccos still to try.

Pipe Used: Various bents