Cornell & Diehl Big n' Burley

(3.30)
Primarily sweet, long-cut Burley seasoned with small amounts of Latakia, Turkish, and a dash of Perique for added flavor. This big blend from Cornell & Diehl is a light English for Burley lovers.

Details

Strength

Extremely Mild -> Overwhelming

None Detected -> Extra Strong

Unnoticeable -> Overwhelming
Taste
Full

Extremely Mild (Flat) -> Overwhelming

Average Rating

3.30 / 4

Please login to post a review.
Displaying 41 - 50 of 76 Reviews
Jan 17, 2007 Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant
I am very much a Burley fancier. Burley agrees with my body chemistry and it is a staple of my diet. I take comfort in the arms of Burley, finding pleasure in all of her nuances and in her sweetness.

Big N? Burley takes my love for Burley and it kicks it up into new realms. This is a beautifully crafted tobacco. Burley is certainly in the forefront with wisps of chocolate and softwoods. The Latakia is applied with a delicate hand, augmenting rather than masking; the Turkish adds the soft flavour of spice rather than heat and the Perique offers a lovely interplay with the Latakia, bringing a sweet mustiness to the mix.

At times, there is a singular note to the bowl (a sweet, musty cedar with a glimmer of cigar) while at other times, the individual components dance and swirl over the palette. It?s easy to slide into the zone with this bite-free blend.

This is a fuller smoke and yet, for me, it could easily be an all day adventure. I often enjoy Big N' Burley as my first pipe of the day (usually mid-morning) and yet it is just as delightful at night.

Strongly encouraged to lovers of Burley and English fans looking for something with a solid Burley base. Wonderful in medium sized pipes with longer stems.

Big N? Burley has a permanent place in my rotation.

Highly recommended.
Jun 29, 2005 Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant
This must be the ultimate "man tobacco." Burley, Turkish, and a little latakia blended together in a rather large ribbon cut. The smell in the pouch isn't overpowering, but you know you're not dealing with a wimpy blend here. Upon lighting, there are cigar overtones, a stout burley base, and a pleasant interplay of the strong Turkish and mild latakia.

This is not my idea of an all-day smoke, but it makes for a fantastic now-and-then blend.
Aug 22, 2021 Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable
There are a handful of blends that are the only reason anyone cares about C&D, and this is one of them.

This blend has Burley, Latakia, Oriental and Perique. Sounds like a typical C&D alphabet soup Burley blend, but this one is all about the Burley.

The Latakia is there as a condiment. I find Latakia off-putting and try to avoid it, but here and in Epiphany it enhances the blend and I do not mind it at all. The Oriental, I'll just take your word for it that it's there. The Perique is less obvious than usual for a C&D blend and doesn't do much more than add strength.

For me, Big n Burley is a very good blend. Every component reinforces and strengthens the star dark Burley, which the focus of this tobacco is squarely on. I think it is one of the C&D blends that should be on every Burley smoker's list, along with OJK, Haunted Bookshop, Pegasus and Epiphany. It's not a tobacco I feel compelled to buy by the pound, but it very well may be for you. A solid Burley with backbone.
Aug 05, 2020 Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable
I have been working my way through quite a few English Burley blends from C&D and this one is quite notable. They certainly named this one correctly as the flavor is indeed big time Burley and it is dominant but in a good way. It packs and burns well at a moderate rate and is consistent throughout the smoke. Performs best in a thicker wall large bowl pipe which helps super puffers like myself. Good nic hit which I enjoy after 6+ years off the demon cigs. I'm a big time English man myself and always keep a supply of Latakia on hand. I mixed an ample amount in with this blend and man, that brought it up to 4 star territory for me. this one is a keeper!
Pipe Used: 1960's Lane Charaton
PurchasedFrom: smoking pipes
Jul 30, 2020 Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable
One year in a mason jar, for me, really seemed to smooth out the rough edges and meld the component tobaccos. The blend tasted like a "richer" basic burley, with the enjoyable perique tingle. The room note for me is a guess, I don't smoke indoors.
Pipe Used: Meerschaum and Briars
PurchasedFrom: Smoking Pipes
Age When Smoked: New and one year in mason jar
Jul 23, 2020 Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable
Impressive, a very manly smoke. This blend has some earthy might. It's very much similar to the blends in the Burley Flake series. The nicotine power is noticeable right away in the first 1/4 of the bowl. It comes right out and slaps you across the face. The Burley is young and way out front with strong woody, nutty, earthy notes. From the Orientals there's a gentle walnut note with a hint of bitter and sour that is ever present. The Perique and Latakia are sparse condiments adding occasional complexity. This is not an all day or a big bowl smoke. There's an occasional harshness and offputting bitterness to this blend, but the nic hit is lovely and ... well let's call it an acquired taste. I love to have a blend like this around for the quick 10 minute stress pipe. I'd like to smoke this along with the Burley Flake series and see who wins best taste.
Aug 22, 2019 Medium to Strong None Detected Full Unnoticeable
Nice mellow scent from the bulk bag . Very Nutty and creamy . Some cocoa notes and a little toffee nut bean . Tough for me to get at just the right moisture. Burns a wee bit hot but it was a little moist when I light it up . I dried some out and it got a little crispy after an hour only . The latakia is a nice touch . Good change of pace from usual Virginia base blends . Mildly sweet . I like it a lot ! Would probably mix nice with a little Virginia also but great on its own . Recommend 3 1/2 stars for me . It also burns very evenly .
-update 9/15 this blend has a lot of cigar taste to it and not sure if i still like it a lot ? 2 yrs old in a jar . I’ll smoke more and see if i still enjoy ?
Age When Smoked: 1 year 2 months
Reviewed By Date Rating Strength Flavoring Taste Room Note
May 09, 2019 Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable
If this stuff was a cig, i would buy it all the time! That being said, i am glad that it is pipe baccy bc it packs a punch! If you do not like burleys you will hate it. I happen to think that it is my favorite burley blend! Get ya some!
Pipe Used: Cobbs
PurchasedFrom: P&C
Age When Smoked: Unknown bulk version
Aug 26, 2018 Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong
2020 Update:

I found the jar which had the rest of my sample in it and decided to give it another try. I've grown in my appreciation of burley over the last couple of years so I figured it would be good to smoke up the rest.

With a couple of extra years of age on it (8-29-20), it has developed to where I'm picking up the pepper from the perique along with the nutty of the burleys. I'm still not getting anything from the latakia.

It still has a KO punch of nicotine to my system, so its not something I'd be smoking all day.. but it better than I gave it credit for back then for sure.

Original Review -- 2018 -- This is one that the name scared me. I received a sample pack in my tinsociety.com box and was happy to try it in my cob.

It was expecting a straight burley from the name, but instead found something akin to an English but with a burley base.

Its stronger than most of the blends I smoke in the nic department. Not an early morning smoke for me but one for enjoying after dinner.
Pipe Used: Cobs
PurchasedFrom: TinSociety.com Box
Apr 13, 2018 Very Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong
I really loved this blend. It is nice and strong, but not cigar like. It's not very dense nor moist so you can pack it tight. The quality is good. Could easily be used as a blending tobacco for aromatics.

target="_blank"